M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were picking your new 109 up today and knowing what you now know about your finish, would you add a vinyl tank protector or maybe even some type of paintguard system that would protect the whole bike? There are a few out there like this one that was advertised on this site a few months back.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1751.0

Or this one that uses static to cling to your bike's surface.

http://www.snidersproducts.com/paint3.html

I will be picking up a new burple in a month or so, and would love to keep it looking brand new.

Bryan Miller
Huntsville, Alabama
backinthesaddle

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
From what others have said, the best thing you can have done to your bike aside from a complete custom paint job is to have a painter re-clear coat the bike. The factory clear is thin and pretty soft. It scratches easily.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I, too, would have another round of clearcoat applied.

G

·
Yup, the clear coat sucks. I was riding on the interstate awhile back and unfortunately got stuck behind a dump truck hauling sand. I couldn't get far enough away from him before the damage was done. Looks like someone polished my front fender with sand paper...argh.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I don't know if there is anything other than more clear to protect the paint better. the tank covers and things of that nature usually cover up damage already done and can make things worse if any dust or dirt gets between the cover and the paint it's just like sandpaper!. I think black is the worst color that shows all the scratches but I am sure red will be right there with it. I was pulling the tank off of mine for routine maintenance and just barely laid the chrome speedo bezel on it and it scratched it. I thought I was screwed but came back with some good polish and was able to get the scratch out. My black 109 looks dirty the day after I wash it. :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
The nicest colours always seem to be the softest. I have scribble marks from my shirt buttons on my tank where they do their biscuit in the wind..
Thats the price to pay for having the prettiest bike tho. Violet - blue rules big time !! Women just throw themselves at this bike and rider combo....

I'm getting a tank cover for Xmas from GF for xmas.

Skin.

·
Registered
169 Posts
all the bikes I have had inthe past seemed more resistant to fuel overflow, either from dribbles at the gas station or like mine, just filled and left in the office carpark in the sun......bummer, expanded hot fuel leaks outa tank onto paint.
I polished like hell when I got it home but its ghosted the paintwork permanently.

A black 109 with a misty /smoked spill trail on the tank..... :(

No other bikes I've had have done this, and I have had accidents before on them same as this.
And no....the bike was NOT overfilled. Just filled, driven a km to work, and parked in the lot on a 30c day.

Really pi$$ed off now... :evil:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Haven´t had any problems with the paint so far but then I wax it every weekend ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had my black 07 glazed to improve the paint's strength - seems to have made a noticeable difference. Before that it scratched like mad and wouldn't have lasted very long...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Mad Dog said:
Haven´t had any problems with the paint so far but then I wax it every weekend ;)
Waxing it won't make it any thicker. This is the thinnest clear coat I have worked with. Normally you can sand a factory finish and build up the paint from there but with this one I have gone to only using scuffing it with scotch bright pads.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Clear coat would help. I wax my bike before every time I ride it. It takes about 10 minutes looks great and will help protect your paint.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
my paint has some self-caused minor issues. the tank has a small scratch on it from where i wore a harley jacked (buckle at the bottom). the rear cowl has some swirl marks. i wore a backpack one day and the straps flapped around all over it without me knowing, had to buff them out. under the seat, where it meats the tank, is causing some rub marks. other than that it looks showroom.

fortunately vtxoak is about to slap a new paint job on it. :p

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
I'm getting ready to scuff mine down and add quite a few layers of clear with pearl graphics, in blue and charcoal over black. Stock clear scratches just looking at it

·
Registered
484 Posts
I mixed my clear with a little extra hardener... instead of 2:1:1, I went 2:1:1.5 hardener. Wet sanded with 1000 grit and then polished it... looks deep.

That's one thing I have to give H-D... they put down a good clear at the factory. I think I could have taken a grinder to my Sportster and not scuffed it... On my 109, my computer bag slid off my shoulder one day and gouged it with just canvas.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Clear on my black 07 scuffed from my leather jacket resting on the tank, sucks big time, :edit:definetely not as good as my old Royal Star, but it is a whole lot faster :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Found a stone chip on mine about a week ago on the fat part of the tank on the right side. Before that, when I installed the Suzuki tank bra I removed the tank bezel and hung it to the left side. It scratched the piss out of the tank and the radiator trim, but buffed out ok. The paint is soft and will scratch easily. There is no protection other than a planned protective paint job that will give relief to this issue. Then again, some small caused imperfections give character and individulaism to each 109. So, there!! :doorag:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lamonster said:
Stock paint sucks. :confused:Clear it if you like the color.
Seems a custm paint is the answer. An yea, it sucks. Touch it with a cloth and it marks up. Touch it with a jacket buckle on it and it gouges. :verymad:
By the time you go to the trble of removing all the parts and rubbing them down to clear cost, may as well lay on some custom paint, even if its only stripes, then clear over the lot.
A winter job. Just coming into summer here, so many months of ridin to do first. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts