M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were going to do something to this bike, would you do it for looks or for handling? I guess what I'm asking is do you plan on riding this bike like a sport bike and would want the best suspension you could have or do you plan on this being a hotrod cruiser and would give up a little handling for a really cool look?

G

·
I did not buy this bike expecting to ride it like my previous sportbike. I am willing to sacrifice some handling for looks, such as lowering the bike. I do however expect it to maintain an acceptable level of handling ability. So the answer would be both yes and no. I don't want the bike to handle like a rock. I do plan still riding it on some curvy roads. That's curvy by Florida's standard.

·
Registered
106 Posts
toneout said:
I did not buy this bike expecting to ride it like my previous sportbike. I am willing to sacrifice some handling for looks, such as lowering the bike. I do however expect it to maintain an acceptable level of handling ability. So the answer would be both yes and no. I don't want the bike to handle like a rock. I do plan still riding it on some curvy roads. That's curvy by Florida's standard.
 I'm with you. I had the crotch rockets in my younger years and now I wanna cruise. I would not have a bike today had I not seen the 109 on the net this winter. Made me wanna get a bike again. I still like to tear it up once and a while to, don't get me wrong but my main reason for owning the bike is that I found a bike I actually like the looks of again. Plus it is alot of fun too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have had several rockets and am past the 140mph with my hair on fire stage. And all the friends i ride with have crusers so there is no going fast "much" So i would say i want the look.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I pulled up to a gas station to get lotto tickets. Before I got my helmet off, there was a giant man standing next to it saying " That's PIMP!". It's not a word I would personally use, but it gave me an idea of how much attention it gets and how fast. It already handles better than my old VTX1800R, so I would sacrifice SOME handling for the straight out no holds barred sex appeal that these machines are capable of.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks are most important for me. This bike already outhandles any of the other cruisers i've been on and im happy w/ the lean angle this bike provides as is. I'd be willing to sacrifice some of it to get an extremely sexy look for her.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's kinda what I thought but I just wanted to make sure first before we start dumping a bunch of time and money in one direction. The more I look at this bike the more of a direction I see it going. 280/300 with custom wheels for sure. Maybe a 3 degree tree to rake it out just a bit. I think the trail numbers will still be good and it should still handle pretty good. We have some other ideas too but I don't want to give out all our plans yet. ;)

G

·
Looks,,then handling,,my crochrocket corner carving days are behind me...but straightline performance is still a need. ;)I've always wanted the big tire look,,,even when I had my o3 vtx1800,,,now I have it,,all....handling,,performance,,and a big tire(to me anyways).....couldnt be happier.. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have to agree with most here. I'm coming from the crotch rocket world, my last being a Hayabusa, so I will stick with the looks & a little handling. I enjoy the way the bike handles now so I don't plan on making any big changes in that dept. I will look for some more HP when it's proven & tested.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd like to get some ideas on how to jazz up the paint scheme etc.
As there are no Victory motorcycles in Australia I'd thought of something like the Hammer decals to see if they looked OK

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice.

Me - I'm not looking to increase or decrease handling - it's built the way I like it - now it's all about changes for comfort (pegs, bars) and possibly performance (pipes) and adding to the looks (decals).

Gotta keep the appeal (if adding bag or shield, they gotta be easily detachable)

Anything that doesn't make this a tough ride is cool - like the idea of the bike becoming "Pimpier" ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'll be building mine for all go no show, mine will be a 9 second bike by this time next year.
And I expect to ruin a few sets of pegs in a shower of sparks by then too.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Lamonster said:
If you were going to do something to this bike, would you do it for looks or for handling? I guess what I'm asking is do you plan on riding this bike like a sport bike and would want the best suspension you could have or do you plan on this being a hotrod cruiser and would give up a little handling for a really cool look?
Can't we have them both? :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i'll do some cosmetic stuff, but nothing that will decrease performance in any way. it's got the right balance that i want.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Function first, then form. I want as much handling and performance as possible, but still want a good looking machine.
Good pipes can be both form and function when they're made, offering the possibility of less weight, more power, and improved styling. The same goes for a good intake systewm to feed that big air box.
After that, I'll look at polishing and lightening as many things as possible, and chroming some that aren't good candidates for polishing.
I've already converted the stock signal lights to super bright leds, added more leds around the plate and switched to run, turn, and brake setup so I'll be lighting up the highway on my way home from bike nights.
Jerbear

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's all about power... i like the general look would like some comfort upgrades... but want more power pipes and breathers, comming from a vtx twisty handling is great i would just like to see 150-160 on dyno

·
Registered
817 Posts
To each his own, I guess. As far as I'm concerned, I'm all for anything that makes the bike more powerful, more comfy, or more pretty. I think everyone can agree on that, right? :D

But right now, I don't see myself slamming it, raking it out, putting on a big fatty rear tire, or anything else that might adversely affect performance. If I wanted a show bike, I'd buy a second one and make it into a show bike. (Yeah, like THAT'S gonna happen. ::) )

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you ever riddin a 300 I think you will find that the difference in a 300 and a 240 is no big deal. They pretty much feel the same to me.

Looks like we have plenty of room. 8)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Lamonster said:
If you ever riddin a 300 I think you will find that the difference in a 300 and a 240 is no big deal. They pretty much feel the same to me.

Looks like we have plenty of room. 8)
Okay, a question -- how well does the wider rim work with the differential? Is there a lot of shaft drive modification involved to go up to a 300?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts