M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Just as a matter of interest I put my two identical model helmets in the sun with a K probe in each. (The orange one had a small area at the top of the visor tinted but otherwise under the same conditions).
After about 5 mins or so there was more than 8 deg F difference..
 You have to get 'hot' to be 'cool' in black..I'm sure the difference would have been even more pronounced if it was a black/white comparison.
Manufacturers put a lot of technology into ventilation and air flow patterns inside helmets but it's easy to forget colour could be a major contributor to your 'sweaty' melon.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My black Nolan helmet, matches my black 109. I notice that it's hotter than my grey Shoei helmet. I'll bet that a chrome helmet is cooler because it's just a big mirror ::)

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you need more proof, go put your hand on the roof of a white car, then a darker colored car, in the middle of the day 8) I'm not gonna worry about the lack of style points by my helmet not matching the bike ::) I can leave my white helmet on my seat and when I get ready to take off, my helmet AND my seat are much cooler than they would be otherwise... and the white is easier for others to see :D

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I have an all white HJC CL-15. Bought for safety and temp resons.
It is still hot as hell in there. I am a hot person.

I wish they would make a full face helmet with larger openings like a bicycle helmet has. Use some space age technologies in there....
Or maybe a fan in there?
OK, How about they make one where I could put some of that wet material in those vest thingy's that Bikerchick posted about...

Every day I wish I could ride with no helmet, but I wont. I have gone as far as my apartment to my garage though (50yards)

Sledzep

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had a white helmet until a friend of mine said I looked like a sperm rider. ::) Now I just have a sweaty melon with my black helmet... :redfaced:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Silver ICON here (of course Silver bike)...it's not too bad while moving. But once I stop I pop the visor open so I can breath :bigthumbsup: Still I wouldn't ride without it.

Devilish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts