M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy just got 1 and Im just curious how they stack up to the 109 . Price and power seem to be similar . Looks smaller than the 109 but the advertised weight seem closer than it appears . I havent rode it but just looked at it and sat on it for 10 minutes or so . I think I was being unbiased but I think I like my 109 . Thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The vtx is a nice bike 4 sure but they don't compare the 9 has more power and unique looks..I will never knock a Honda it is a well built bike.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
VTX and M109R

I owned a VTX and they are nice, but no comparison to the 109. The 109 has tremendous torque. The lines, curves, and overall looks are great. Not to mention the head turns that you get. I went and looked at the 9 I own now, and the saleman asked had I ever ridin a 109 and I said no. He said hold on because 1st to 2nd will surprise you. He wasn't joking! I paid cash for it that day (2007) 14 miles on it!!!!!!!!!!!:super:

I am slowly adding things to it! Just installed a 250 E3! Love it!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I owned a VTX and they are nice, but no comparison to the 109. The 109 has tremendous torque. The lines, curves, and overall looks are great. Not to mention the head turns that you get. I went and looked at the 9 I own now, and the saleman asked had I ever ridin a 109 and I said no. He said hold on because 1st to 2nd will surprise you. He wasn't joking! I paid cash for it that day (2007) 14 miles on it!!!!!!!!!!!:super:

Now do the 160 front and you won't be sorry.Paid cash for mine 2 dang what a great feeling.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Let me say that I bought VTX1800 serial# 14 in 02 and after having ground down 5 sets of stock footpegs I rode that thing for all it was worth!that being said I feel in a canyon carver race I would be faster on the VTX than the 9,in a drag race I would win on the nine. The Vtx is a great bike and Steve my best friend that I sold it to has riden longer than me just cuse he is older and still puts it through it's pases.Now that he is putting an Arnot air ride on he just threw another cool factor into his bike so it makes it harder for me to one up him with my bike.Like the 9's the VTX's are able to make them all a little different than the next one they are both great bikes.Gregg
ison bike.

·
Registered
364 Posts

+1 here! I currently own both bikes. My VTX (1300R veriety) is a great overall bike but does not compare to the 9. I have also ridden the 1800 for the day and still feel the same. If the buyer is soneone who is upgrading from a smaller cruiser, the VTX is a fantastic bike. If the buyer is big-cruiser experienced or comes from the sport bike world, the 9 is the only thing that'll scratch the itch :p

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yeah Greg... your feeling is correct. The Honda VTX 1800 weighing in @ around 800LBS will definitely out handle the Nine through the twisties... that is a fact if you know how 2 ride. Looking @ the bike (as a BMW) the pegs R significantly higher than the Nines so I know that has alot 2 do with it, pretty impressive 4 a heavy cruiser but still not something that could ever distract from the awesome M109:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I've never owned a VTX, but I've test ridden a couple of the 1800 models. The 2nd one I rode was on the same day I test rode my 1st 109, and I thought the 9 outhandled the X in the turns. Maybe the impression is different when you own both bikes. Straight line performance is no comparison though....

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I have been pretty Honda loyal for years on off road toys and my last street bike was a vfr inteceptor so when I went looking for a bad ass cruiser I checked out what honda had to offer............
I think the vtx is like everything honda makes, VERY VERY WELL BUILT and top quality from top to bottom
but when I compaired it to its competition I fell in love with the sexy m109r
I bought it based on looks alone
(imagine my happieness when I seen and then felt the performance)

I would say its like compairing a corvette and a camaro,
(if at same price)
both are fun and will get you there in style but one is closer to the edge

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Let me say that I bought VTX1800 serial# 14 in 02 and after having ground down 5 sets of stock footpegs I rode that thing for all it was worth!that being said I feel in a canyon carver race I would be faster on the VTX than the 9,in a drag race I would win on the nine. The Vtx is a great bike and Steve my best friend that I sold it to has riden longer than me just cuse he is older and still puts it through it's pases.Now that he is putting an Arnot air ride on he just threw another cool factor into his bike so it makes it harder for me to one up him with my bike.Like the 9's the VTX's are able to make them all a little different than the next one they are both great bikes.Greggison bike.
I have ridden with Gregg's friend Steve and I can tell you, THIS VTX is not a sled, it has some big balls. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I have been pretty Honda loyal for years on off road toys and my last street bike was a vfr inteceptor so when I went looking for a bad ass cruiser I checked out what honda had to offer............
I think the vtx is like everything honda makes, VERY VERY WELL BUILT and top quality from top to bottom
but when I compaired it to its competition I fell in love with the sexy m109r
I bought it based on looks alone
(imagine my happieness when I seen and then felt the performance)

I would say its like compairing a corvette and a camaro,
(if at same price)
both are fun and will get you there in style but one is closer to the edge
You're absolutely right about Hondas being built very well. IMO they build the absolute highest quality bikes on the planet. I really wish Honda woud've developed and built the 109 instead of Suzuki. Maybe then it would have a hydraulic clutch, it would shift smoother, it wouldn't have any clutch shudder or oil puking issues, etc....

·
Registered
488 Posts
VTX 1800 is a gorgeous looking bike, my friend went and bought one shortly after I got my 9. After he went and got his bike he took my 9 for a spin and says" Damn, I should have gotten a 9!!" Now he can't because he's in too deep. He loves his VTX, it turns heads, tribal colors, maroon colors, looks nice, but when we roll together it's the 9 that gets most of the attention. His bike is longer and not as wide as ours but it's FAST also.

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
MMMmmmm

I always had Honda's so I am not dissing the Honda's at all one bit but comparing a VTX and a M109 is like Apples & Condoms...:a18:... it is a beautiful bike but I think its more like a older guy bike verses the M109 is I wanna be young again bike, but everyone knows that its not made for the young either - too much power & torque...:a18:...you are definitly gonna get your money out of the M109 and the life changing excitment...Good luck on your thoughts! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
From what I remember from my test rides, the VTX pulled harder at RPMs below about 3500. After that, the 9 walks all over the VTX. As far as going around corners, the VTX takes less effort to lean (probably because of the narrower rear tire), but I thought the 9 felt more stable in the turns. Fit and finish easily goes to the Honda, but I think the styling of the 9 is far and away better than the X. The X can be modded to run in a straight line with a stock 9, but it would take quite a few mods to get there. The major advantage the 9 holds over the VTX in HP department comes from the extra RPMs its engine can turn. The VTX can only turn a max RPM of about 5700. That extra 2K RPM of the 9 makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have had both VTX 1300 and 1800, they do not compare to the 109. Not knocking them, but I wouldn't trade my 9 for a VTX. One of the guys I work with has a VTX18 and it is all "pimped" out. He rode my 9 a couple days after I got it (was still completely stock) and he was wanted to trade his in. We did a group ride and everytime we would stop for something he would bug me about swapping bikes.....:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts