M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cost me 165 Cause I got some off with coupon from my dealer!!!!
Used KAWACHEM 20-50 Which I am told it's Kawasaki Semi Synt Oil since it's cheaper.. I was charged 3.40 for 4 and 9.77 for the filter! 3 Gaskets were only .74 each and the final gear oil and two hours of labour! to do some tweeking with the bike! !! Well I know it's a rip off for first service but you need to pay for it for the warranty!

You have to get it done as the original oil is not synthetic based and what they replace it with is a semi Synthetic oil which is what you are suppose to have.

But you have to do it for your warranty anyways! so it's like an add on cost from dealer! :cop:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Save yourself money and do it yourself.

3600 ml or so of motor oil
Suzuki filter (new)
200 ml or so of gear oil

Tools:
Socket wrench
Oil filter socket or strap wrench
Oil capture device (i.e. oil drain can)
Gear oil squeeze tool (i.e. fingers)
Assorted rags for oil spillage

1 hour of time

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hess said:
My dealer wants 250.00 so he wont be doing it. You can do it on your own and it has no affect on your warrt. You just have to be able to show it was done. Most dealers out there tell you they do all this crap for the 1st service and lie though thier teeth all most do is change out oil and rear drive oil. :cop:
BINGO!

I remember Honda telling me the same crap! $250 for valve adjustments... Gotta be done a cert. Honda Mech... Pfft! I had it done, but didnt cost me no $250!!!!!!!!!

My brother took his Honda 1100 to his 1st service work done. $150 later, they had a "Honda Tech" change his oil....

The Zuki Dealer told me that I had bring it in at the 600 mile service to tighten all the bolts to torque specs, oil, oil filter (told me change oil and filter 3 times), Diff. Fluid change, check plugs (replace if needed) basically to keep my warranty. OR have proof it was all done..

·
Registered
936 Posts
you know i don't mind paying, if i know they do all that. i normally hang out and watch. i didn't buy my bike at A J Foyt but i let them work on it.Clayton does a good job and will do extra stuff like adjust clutch cables and so forth. oh and i only paid 150.00

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I was gonna let them do the first service, well because I did not have the service manual in yet. well I call the next local dealer, the one where I bought mine does not even know what the valve adjusters are so no to him. they want me to leave the bike with them for 3 days or so! I said i'll think about it. next day I got the service manual in UPS. will hit the 600 mark this week. 1st service is an oil and filter change, final drive oil change, and tightening specified fasteners on the bike. this is something any mechanically inclined person could do easily. I will buy my oil and filter from them this go around and save the receipts. I will be doing the valve check/adjust at 14.5k too. the checking requires quite a bit stripped off the bike but the adjusting (changing out the shims) requires camshaft removal. I would say you need to be a fair wrench to do this and get it right and use the manual. I already have the shims, same as another bike I still have uses. the dealer will charge bigger bucks for this especially if they have to pull the cams. there is some rumor to the bike needing to have the ECM checked or cleared or tweeked and something about the throttle bodies. Nope. the only bikes that get hooked up to the ECM are the EURO/AUSSIE M109R's. they have the heated o2 sensors in the headers so the throttle bodies need the synch checked and idle speed checked, not on U.S. models.

·
Registered
113 Posts
$95.75, They only charged me an hour of labor, the guy that does the shop invoices is a friend of a friend......and the mechanics are really lazy, so i either got the HOOK UP or a crappy service, i'll find that out tomorrow

·
Registered
161 Posts
Void the warranty.... HA!! Every dealer says this but it doesn't mean crap. Like said before, just keep the proof and you're good. My bike hasn't seen the dealer since it left the showroom floor. And that was almost 2 years ago and 32k miles.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cruisn said:
Hey thanks for the info. I am most certainly not mechanically inclined and dislike having to take my bike to a stealer, so any information on one that is actually reputable is much appreciated. Cheers!!

:bigthumbsup:

G

·
i can change a car's oil blind folded, but this will be my first oil change on the M. Looking forward to it, But the 600 mile check up must go to the dealer right? That was the impression i got when i left. Something about valve adjustments, minor tweaks and yada yada.

I think he quoted me $180 over there at Action Suzuki in Mesquite, tx

·
Registered
205 Posts
AgNO3 said:
i can change a car's oil blind folded, but this will be my first oil change on the M. Looking forward to it, But the 600 mile check up must go to the dealer right? That was the impression i got when i left. Something about valve adjustments, minor tweaks and yada yada.

I think he quoted me $180 over there at Action Suzuki in Mesquite, tx
The 1st service does not have to be done at the dealer...no service does. You just have to be able to prove you did it in case of a warranty issue; so hang on to your receipts. It seems some stealers have been telling their customers that the service has to be done there to maintain warranty. Any dealer using those tactics should not get your business.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.