M109 Rider Forums banner

How do you turn off the engine on your 9?

• Turn off the key

Votes: 94 34.7%
  • Turn off the "kill" switch

Votes: 134 49.4%
  • Lower kickstand while in first gear

Votes: 43 15.9%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious as to how other members turn the engine off on their M109R. I have heard of people doing it 3 different ways: 1) turn off key, 2) turn off kill switch, or 3) lower kickstand while in first gear. Which do you do, and why?

·
Registered
300 Posts
i use the kickstand.....because the bike will fall over if you dont lower it, a necesary evil:verymad:

·
Registered
300 Posts
when i use my kill switch i always forget i did, and cant figure out why the bike wont start:redfaced::doh:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Kickstand...It's a habit now. Too many times after shuting down with the key and then sitting there talking to someone or on my cell phone I forget and try to lean over on the stand and it is up. That will tell you how much strength you have in your left leg.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am a kickstand guy.... i have 4 little kids that love my bike as much as i do... and they like to sit on it and pretend they are driving it...so it is always in gear anyway... using the kickstand helps me remember to leave it in gear.

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
Never thought about it til now, but I shut the 9 down all three ways-depends on my 'not thinking about it' at the time I guess:dontknow:

G

·
Never touch the kill switch on any bike, I always use the key. In fact, have hit the kill switch while moving the bike around the garage, and when I went to start it, nothing. I was like aw crap, dead battery. Kinda like the time I tried for a half hour to start my leaf blower, and then found out it had no gas. DUUUUUHHH! :D

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I ride it til it runs out of gas!!!:D

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ride it till I run out of gas!!!!!! Just kidding, I usually put in neutral (cause I have to push it backwards out of garage to ride next time) and turn off the key.

·
Registered
364 Posts
All three ways. Just depend on where I am. Terrain, on the lift, parking, talking to someone, etc. I'm not O.C.D..

·
Registered
668 Posts
key always. that is what it is there for. So to all the guys that use the kill switch. Do you leave your key on after turning your bike off with the kill switch? That can't be good.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Kickstand or key, depending on the parking spot.

I usually park in N because of the air ride, but if on a slope, I will let the air out then shut it down.

It is funny, but I had never even thought to use the kill switch. I know that you can, but I do not think I have ever used the kill switch to shut down any bike.:dontknow:

Thinking about it for a moment, I think that I know why. Just about every time I park in gear, meaning I shut down with the stand, I come out to my bike searching in my pocket for my key. I panic that I lost my key and go to the bike to dig out the hidden spare, only to see the key is in the ignition and the headlight is on.

So I provably use the key so I do not forget to take it with me.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I put it in neutral then put the kickstand down and get off bike. Turn off key and put it in my pocket. :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts