M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silicone glue? Rubber glue? Is there a special glue for this? To gate down a 5/8" interior diameter rubber hose, putting a 5/8" outside - 3/8" inside hose in it (like the step-by-step shows).

Best way to glue it in?

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
You will need something thin like super glue so you don't clog the hose when putting them together. What are you using it for? If it's a tight enough fit, you can just use some lube to put them together and when it dries, it will stay together from friction.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,137 Posts
Take both hose to Lowe's or Home Depot, go to the plumbing department, and get an adapter. That's a common size and you can get something to work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No luck, Zoom. Milled around Lowe's and H Depot looking. They don't carry a 5/8" barb X 3/8". I need to get to a 1/4" female (so a 1/4" male screw is needed).

I could use 3 adapters/reducers to get it, but I might be easier to just use the hose-within-hose mod.

If you know a better way, let me know. I've learned to measure 20 times and cut once. My current plan: 5/8" inside hose to hose-within gated down to 3/8" inside > 3/8" barb X 1/4" male > filter > 1/4" male X 3/8" barb > gated down 5/8" hose (or would 3/8" at this point work fine? Seems like it would cause an increase in air speed and higher friction, but not sure if that matters much, I have no clue how much pressure is actually go through this)

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,137 Posts
Cinders, if the hose within a hose fits, I would go that route. No use in causing more restriction by adding multiple adapters. If the unit has enough flow there is very little pressure, but if it's restricted it will build up pressure. And you don't want a lot of pressure in the engine as it can force oil past seals.

They use that big 5/8" hose for a reason. :D

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Why not make the adapter in one piece?

If you need to go from 5/8" male to 1/4" female, here would be my plan.

Most hardware stores carry rubber 'corks'.

The smaller end of the taper should be able to serve as your 5/8" male.

Drill a 1/4" hole in it and there you have it.

It might help if we knew what kind of pressure this is going to be under.

In those sizes, I am thinking you are fitting a catch-can or some sort of filter onto the crank-case breather line, but that is just a guess.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Second thought, if the parts you are looking to connect are both male:

Get a 5/8" pipe cap and drill the 1/4" hole in the top.

Then just use an appropriate adhesive to hold to two parts in their respective places.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get a 3/8" barb. Insert it into the smaller hose and then cut off waht is left. Slide the 5/8" over the smaller hose and then clamp or crimp.
This is the plan tomorrow.

Using the "right" adapters failed miserably, since it made about a foot of metal.

I have the 1/4 X 3/8 Barb that fits directly to my filter. Going to do the hose.

I was thinking of putting some alcohol on the outside of the smaller hose for lube, and a little super glue on the inside of the bigger hose. The alcohol shouldn't mess up the glue too much, and will evaporate, leaving some glue to give it good friction.

Does that sound like a bad idea? I'm that guy that tends to f*@( with things one time too many, ending in an "oh $#!^"

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a few ways I do this...
For atmospheric pressure items:
take a 5/8" cap (that fits tight into your tubing), and get a 1/4" threaded adapter. Drill the cap, thread the adapter into the cap.

For things under pressure,
5/8" SS cap, 1/4" SS tube (i prefer "barbed" fittings). Drill the cap, weld the cap and tube together. Clamp the tubing to adapter.
The nice thing about this one is you can take you average drumel tool and clean everything inside and out up, plus wit his being SS you can polish it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.