M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I topped up my coolant with some distilled water, only to find that the so called 'distilled water' was contaminated with battery acid.

I want this stuff out of my bike pronto.

How do i drain it completely  ?

I assume the tank and front fairing comes off as per the book and there is some kind of drain plug at the base of the radiator ?
If so, please tell me how to get those press pin type fasteners on the bottom of fairing off without breaking them.

Thanks
skin.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Re: How do you drain the coolant for full replacement ?

You can take the pins out underneath the radiator cowl by simply prying on the head of the pin with a flat-blade screwdriver. There is a notch in the outer edge of the hole the pin goes through where you can get a good bite on it. It takes some effort but it will pop loose and you put them back in just like the other, smaller pushpins on other parts of the bike.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
according to the service manual since there is no real "drain" plug you just remove the lower end of the bottom radiator hose to drain both the radiator and the motor. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you sah !!

Thats what i did eventually. I pulled off the pipe that feeds the "oil cooler" in the oil filter housing and the pipe off the bottom of the white plastic reservoir.

Some must have remained behind somewhare tho as i cold only put a total of 2000ml in, out of a total of 2700 as per the book.

skin.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
yeah it's hard to get a good drain on them but make sure you take off the rad cap too, it can hold a slight vacuum on the system and not let it all out. helps if you rock the bike around too, same when filling, rocking it around helps get the air out. did you bleed it per the book? some bikes come with a bleed nipple like the brakes have up high on the system to leave open while filling but looking at this bike the t-stat is down between the jugs and usually they put the bleed nipple on that. the book says to run it with the rad cap off until you see the coolant moving around like the t-stat is beginning to open then snap the throttle open a few times to "burp" the air out. This is the same procedure as I had to do on my Honda but every little bit helps since these systems are so small they don't need any air pockets. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts