M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I´d remove the unsightly helmet lock (on the left side over the rear tire) but saw that this means tearing the bike apart. Can this be the case, will it be a quicker way to hacksaw the gizmo off? :tools:

·
Registered
42 Posts
On the opposite side from the helmet lock, there is a threaded hole on the subframe. I only know this because I utilized it to mount my inspection sticker to a bracket I made. I think the helmet lock is bolted to its counterpart on the left side. I took the two subframe bolts that hold the chrome on the rear fender sides off and one other one off under the side cover to mount the bracket. I assume the left side would be similar. The rear bolt has a nut on it, but the other two were threaded on the subframe. I hope this helps.

Doc

·
Registered
26 Posts
while installing my LEDs I tried to take the helmet lock off. You will have to take off the side cover (where the key to opening the seat goes), and the tail section (4 bolts on top and 2 screws from underneath the fender, lay on your back and they are almost hidden behind the licence and turn signals) to expose the entire chrome fender support. Break loose the fender support and you will see the helmet lock is attached from both sides to a steel panel. It is not really hard to do, the problem is you need a special tool to get it off. It is a Torx with a hole in the middle of it to accomodate the fastener with a stud smack middle of the torx hole, which I did not have, so I had to leave the lock on :verymad:. I wonder if you could buy a tool at autozone or something to get it off...

If anyone has been able to hack it off please advise!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Thats a "tamper-proof" torx and yes you can buy them.................... autozone has a few of them depending on size needed, otherwise you'll most likely have to hit a tool/farm/fastener store to get them :bigthumbsup:

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,900 Posts
Channel locks work.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,705 Posts
Pete,
nice you revived 14,5 yrs old thread,
nevertheless, it will come handy to some..
Cheers! 🍻

·
Registered
136 Posts
It should just fall off. I got to work about a year ago and went to lock my helmet up and the whole thing broke away from the frame and laying on the side of the freeway somewhere. So if you really want to remove it, just keep riding. I drive like my hair is on fire, so that may help.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,900 Posts
Pete,
nice you revived 14,5 yrs old thread,
nevertheless, it will come handy to some..
Cheers! 🍻
DOH! Rank newbie move!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts