M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my black m109r and I asked the salesman before I rode it home (100+ miles) if they knew about the overfill issue and his response was "we're all professionals here the level is fine". I knew of the issue but for some stupid reason I took the guys word for it and rode home. Halfway home I stopped and turned the bike off and sure enough oil is pouring out of the left air cleaner I was pissed. Anyway the was already closed when I finally left with the bike so I have to wait until tomorrow to call them. Oh yea Before I stopped a big cloud of smoke came out of the exhaust (enough where I couldn't see any cars behind me on a 3 lane highway)

Anyone know how I can fix this or should I take it back to the incompetent dealer who screwed it up in the first place??

Will this harm the bike??

Any suggestions please.

BTW I love this beast

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I personally would take it back to the guy who told you they were all professionals and ask him to professionally explain to you how his professional staff still managed to overfill the bike. Then have them correct the problem by removing excess oil and cleaning left airbox and replacing the filter. As for the large puff of smoke, I'm not sure about that one, but it sounds more serious than the overfill issue. I would have them check that too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the direction I'm leaning toward. I've been searching for this bike for 2 weeks now and I just can't beleive this is happening.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For future reference, the bike has two (2) drain plugs. According to my mechanic, most other mechanics are only draining one and then adding the recommended amount of oil thus overfilling it. Drain both plugs, then add the recommended amt. of oil, then when you check the dip stick ( this is important) unscrew the stick, wipe it down and reinsert it with out threading it back in. Then read the stick and then re-thread it once you are done. Allow at least half an hour after filling it and running it to fill the filter to settle before doing a final oil level read. Remember, only insert dipstick as far as it will go without threading it in to do a level read. This is true of all engines that have a threaded dip stick (lawnmowers, edgers, etc.) Also, the smoke is typical of an overfill. The oil is being blown out of the carburetor and some is being burnt thus the smoke . Take it to the "professionals" and tell them to fix their mistake and to clean up "their" mess! Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MyBlueHeaven said:
For future reference, the bike has two (2) drain plugs. According to my mechanic, most other mechanics are only draining one and then adding the recommended amount of oil thus overfilling it. Drain both plugs, then add the recommended amt. of oil, then when you check the dip stick ( this is important) unscrew the stick, wipe it down and reinsert it with out threading it back in. Then read the stick and then re-thread it once you are done. Allow at least half an hour after filling it and running it to fill the filter to settle before doing a final oil level read. Remember, only insert dipstick as far as it will go without threading it in to do a level read. This is true of all engines that have a threaded dip stick (lawnmowers, edgers, etc.) Also, the smoke is typical of an overfill. The oil is being blown out of the carburetor and some is being burnt thus the smoke . Take it to the "professionals" and tell them to fix their mistake and to clean up "their" mess! Good luck!
Thanks for the heads up :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
MyBlueHeaven said:
For future reference, the bike has two (2) drain plugs. According to my mechanic, most other mechanics are only draining one and then adding the recommended amount of oil thus overfilling it.Â
That's good info for someone taking their bike in for service, but to me it sounds like his bike is new. No reason for the dealer to be draining oil and adding it on a new bike. Where mine messed up is they checked the oil level wrong when assembling the bike and found it to look low. They added more oil to it, and thus overfilled it. Funny thing was, the sales and service guy made sure to lecture me on the proper way to check the oil per Suzuki guidelines.... I guess the guy that put my bike together wasn't in on this bit of info.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ok have any of you guys come up with a solution for this damn air breather hose and this oil problem I mean can we divert the oil breather hose somewhere else maybe remove the dip stick and plug it back into the motor or can we through a pcv valve in there somewhere there has to be some sort of fix for this as what they are doing isnt working

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Xhiler8r said:
Ok have any of you guys come up with a solution for this damn air breather hose and this oil problem I mean can we divert the oil breather hose somewhere else maybe remove the dip stick and plug it back into the motor or can we through a pcv valve in there somewhere there has to be some sort of fix for this as what they are doing isnt working
My oil is at the right level and I haven't had a problem since. ::)

G

·
Mine was delivered overfilled, I went to the dealer and gave it to them about overfilling. I also gave them a link to our board. The apologized and made it right. I was told that they gave a inservice training session on the issue and it would not happen agian. After first service I have not had the problem again. I will have it in soon for the first scheduled maintenace soon and will see how they do with it.

My dealer is Town and Country Motorsports in Chandler AZ.

TAZ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lamonster said:
If it was me I would call up the manager and tell him what happened and then I would tell him I don't feel good about them working on my bike and I'm going to fix it myself. ::)

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=32.0
Thanks for the info. I called them today and they blamed it on the manufacturer. They said I could either drian some of the oil myself or bring it in. I told him I would call him back and that I was very upset due to the fact that I addressed this issue before I rode off the lot. When I call him back I am going to ask him for suzukis number so that I can complain to them since it's "their failt"

I took off the air cleaner and drained a quart, but I haven't put the airbox back on yet and started the bike to check the oil. The air filter is saturated should I get a new one or let it sit to drip for an hour.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
drained a quart from the engine not the air cleaner air cleaner had some oil in it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Xhiler8r said:
there is no fix. its not a problem. its just a matter of checking your oil according to proceedure. checked mine the day i picked up my bike and do my own oil changes. get out the manual and read it. you'll get it right. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
SoSick said:
Thanks for the info. I called them today and they blamed it on the manufacturer. They said I could either drian some of the oil myself or bring it in. I told him I would call him back and that I was very upset due to the fact that I addressed this issue before I rode off the lot. When I call him back I am going to ask him for suzukis number so that I can complain to them since it's "their failt"

I took off the air cleaner and drained a quart, but I haven't put the airbox back on yet and started the bike to check the oil. The air filter is saturated should I get a new one or let it sit to drip for an hour.
its not suzukis fault. its your incompetent dealers fault. suzuki sent out a memo on propper proceedure. i guess your buddys at the dealer cant read. do yourself a favor and find a new dealer or do it yourself. i cant believe this is still going on. what a joke these dealerships are. im glad i checked everything on the bike myself before i drove it off the lot. made em drop my oil on the spot and taught em how to check the oil myself.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Personally, I would make him ("Mr We are all Professionals") eat it big time. Especially since you addressed this particular incident ......I would call them and TELL them they need to come get it (tow it properly, dont want it ridden) and that you fully expected them to drain the oil and put the correct amount in and in the correct manner . I would tell them that you want to watch them do this to be sure they are doing it correctly and professionally and I would also want to see their GM.

If they are a decent business , they will HAPPILY do whatever they can to make this right. This is their problem not yours and you warned them , and they basically said you are an idiot and not to worry......yeah right , professionals, what a joke.

Just to ride him , ask him if he knows the specific procedure lined out in the manual on how to check and change the oil on an M109R.......watch him squirm.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Shriker said:
Personally, I would make him ("Mr We are all Professionals") eat it big time.  Especially since you addressed this particular incident ......I would call them and TELL them they need to come get it (tow it properly, dont want it ridden) and that you fully expected them to drain the oil and put the correct amount in and in the correct manner . I would tell them that you want to watch them do this to be sure they are doing it correctly and professionally and I would also want to see their GM.Â

If they are a decent business , they will HAPPILY do whatever they can to make this right. This is their problem not yours and you warned them , and they basically said you are an idiot and not to worry......yeah right , professionals, what a joke.

Just to ride him , ask him if he knows the specific procedure lined out in the manual on how to check and change the oil on an M109R.......watch him squirm.
Yep! Make them get it right!!

ppridgen1 said:
I'd adress this issue with the owner (no one else)even if you have to make an appointment with him. Trust me ,as an owner of a buisness ,if you bring it to me ,it's gonna get taken care of and your gonna be compensated And Mr. "we're proffesionals" is gonna take an ass reaming from hell or worse. Even if the compensation is just a filter and new oil :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
+1!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I rode 50 miles today after draining a quart from the engine and cleaning the air cleaner, and not a drop of oil. When I check the oil to suzuki specs it now reads 1/16" above the full. I decided to fix it myself so that I know it was done right. I heard too many stories of people going back to the dealer to fix the overfill and they end up puking oil all over again because they didn't clean the air cleaner. Anyway thanks for the replies and I hope this thread can help future/ current owners fix this problem. I know Im not the last one this is going to happen to. I how suzuki gets their act together. I am still going to make a complaint Just not sure yet how I am going to approach it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, Personally I would get new air filters, oil filter and oil from them and whatever else I needed as I watch them repair the bike. Lastly I would have them document that their people or whomever they wanted to blame for this just in case the engine goes south . JOHN

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.