M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, have a bit of a problem, I had the dealer put on a set of Cobra speedsters for me the other day and somehow after the install the EXCVA internal plastic gear stripped 3 teeth. Since this system is used to control the Exhaust I'm unable to run the stock or the new pipes on the bike. Is there a way I can bypass or fool the computer to keep the exhaust open and have it think everything is ok. :dontknow:

I'm being told by the dealer this is an eng fault with Cobra, when he put the cam onto the solenoid he did use a vice to make sure the Exhaust Valve Actuator Solenoid and cam didn't turn. I have a feeling he stripped the teeth when he removed the stock Cam but can't prove squat since there was no eng failure light when I left the dealer, just 20miles down the street. The wrench that was working on this bike told me that the computer tried to over turn the gear and the new Cam by Cobra didn't allow for this extra turn (Cobra fault). Funny thing is they teeth that broke where 3 in a row, it this was true then all the teeth should be broken off or they would be a random at best. But I'm just a girl have no clue what I'm talking about.

Another question if its possible to bypass the EXCVA system and fool the computer what effect would leaving the exhaust open have on the bike. (see I really have no clue and they haven't made the dummy version of the service manual just yet :redfaced:) :dontknow:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More information on this issue:
Right now I think the dealer stripped the gear when he was removing the stock cam from the Actuator Solenoid, i have 3 teeth and I think this gear is free spinning, I have a call into suzuki to see if the onboard motor that runs this little box has the torque required to strip the gear. If it doesn't then bang its the deals fault, I'll have them put it back together and take it to another dealer to work on (that is after they pay and send me the EXCVA, I'm hoping on that one). I did find out yesterday that if I hit the ignition switch 3 times it does start, so I'm guessing I can still get it started and roll it onto a trailer.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Firecat,

Sorry to hear that, there was a thread on the site on how to mod the ecm once you put after market pipes on. Search ECM mod.

C-One

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent a PM to him to see if he could help, this is a bit different, see my issue is the gear is stripped I'll need to bypass the box completely and run the exhaust open if at all possible. I have no idea if the eng will even work with the exhaust open, any idea what that will do?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Firecat Check with Bad109 as i seem to recall reading in one of his post that he totally disabled his SET valve and is running his exhaust open at all times, maybe he can help. not sure if the SET is the same as EXCVA that you are talking about

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sucks... You know is their fault, but can't make it stick due to lack of proof... same thing happens with our justice system... :evil:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I believe he removed the spring & that opened the set valve. The FI light was just a nutty indicator that the set valve was not moving. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the Quick help everything is now in working order :bigthumbsup: I did the workaround for the FI light after I realized what everyone was saying (the dang box isn't even in use so who cares if the gear is boken ::)) Now all is good my bike runs very well and sound mean :D back to the roads :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Great! Glad to hear you got your bike running and will be able to continue on with your trip. Just know that other fellow NC'ers are jealous that you are going to Sturgis... Have fun.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
glad i could help, now get out there and give em' hell.  :evil:

you might end up liking the set disabled, i know i do. made all the difference in the world. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts