M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New member here who just purchased a new '09 silver 109 (thrilled to death by the way!) My question is, what's a proper break-in method? There seems to be a lot of different opinions out there ranging from the nice easy method (manual) to driving it like you stole it. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated . . . . . cheers

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
IMO, Drive it like you stole it usually translates into voided warranty for abusing the bike. It does not take much for them to void it either. New parts need to a proper break-in period to ensure they will last a long time.

Follow the manual method as much as you can until the first oil change. Then you can open her up a little more..

Note: Some have done it either way and never had an issue. So it's a 50/50 coin toss as to if you will ever have any of the issues usually associated with what the dealers call abuse.

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
There are two basic methods

1. By the book (Suzuki's owners manual)
2. Ride it like you stole it.

I did mine by option 1.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
IMO, Drive it like you stole it usually translates into voided warranty for abusing the bike. It does not take much for them to void it either. New parts need to a proper break-in period to ensure they will last a long time.

Follow the manual method as much as you can until the first oil change. Then you can open her up a little more..

Note: Some have done it either way and never had an issue. So it's a 50/50 coin toss as to if you will ever have any of the issues usually associated with what the dealers call abuse.
There are two basic methods

1. By the book (Suzuki's owners manual)
2. Ride it like you stole it.

I did mine by option 1.
:agree:it's the way I did it

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I did mine the way the dealer suggested. I took it easy for the first 1,000 miles, which did not take long. JMO

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
I broke mine in pretty much by the book, with a little extra. I went over the recommended break in rpm by about 1,000 rpm on a couple occasions but I didn't abuse it. Bike still runs great and uses no oil.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I took it easy for a hundred miles, dieseling down hills makeing sure the rings were seated nicely then rode pretty normal varying the rpms not exceeding 6000. After the first oil change at 500 mi. (full syn.) it was off to the races. 12,000 mi.s now and runs perfect.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sorry but for the $$$$ invested in this bike I'd break it in according to what the manual has said. Why take a chance....... unless of course you're independently wealthy. :)) Oh and of course when the stealer is looking you in the eye and asks you "did you break it in according to the book?" How comfortable are you at lying. :))

Let me know by email if you need the maintenance manual.
Cheers and Congrats.

I'm sure you'll love the ride. :)
Paul

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is always better to save some power for the future time, so don´t use full throtle and full rpm...save it for future happines :)...

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
By the book

I broke it in exactly the way the manual said to. Well, I might of cheated just a little..:joke:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Mine is brand new and i will start ( today :drool: ) breaking it "by the book" .... only a 1000 miles to wait ....... i was waiting for the beast for 5 months .....so ..... :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
I took it pretty easy for the first 500mi or so and then occasionally worked my way up,never red lined it til I had 1000+ mi. I'm still pretty easy on it and enjoy just cruising and have had no problems in 10,000mi other than a loose rear caliper.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Since 2006/2007 the consensus is,,, if you want to experience what is called "Blow-by" similiar to over filled oil in the bike where you have oil coming out of the left air intake break it in by the book,,,

If you break it in like you stole it the piston rings get a better seat and the engine is actually stronger in the end.

I broke mine in by the book,,, eventually had blow-by with synthetic oil, had to switch back to dino 20w-50,,,

My bud Seapup, rode it like he stole it from the dealer,,,, never has had blow-by,

I also had to do a airkit and 2 into 1 exhaust to keep up with his stock bike.

After talking with a lot of people that have/had blow-by, they ALL broke it in by the manual,,,

Next time I will be riding it like I stole it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Since 2006/2007 the consensus is,,, if you want to experience what is called "Blow-by" similiar to over filled oil in the bike where you have oil coming out of the left air intake break it in by the book,,,

If you break it in like you stole it the piston rings get a better seat and the engine is actually stronger in the end.

I broke mine in by the book,,, eventually had blow-by with synthetic oil, had to switch back to dino 20w-50,,,

My bud Seapup, rode it like he stole it from the dealer,,,, never has had blow-by,

I also had to do a airkit and 2 into 1 exhaust to keep up with his stock bike.

After talking with a lot of people that have/had blow-by, they ALL broke it in by the manual,,,

Next time I will be riding it like I stole it.
Never had the blow-by issue. But then again, I made sure the oil level was checked properly.

Disclaimer: I say I went by the book 99% of the time. But I must confess, I cranked it good the second day I had it because some douche tried to run me over at an intersection. Gotta do what you gotta do.. :D

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Never had the blow-by issue. But then again, I made sure the oil level was checked properly.

Disclaimer: I say I went by the book 99% of the time. But I must confess, I cranked it good the second day I had it because some douche tried to run me over at an intersection. Gotta do what you gotta do.. :D
Blow-by has nothing to do with too much oil in the bike,,, it's similiar to that only in the fact that it comes out the left side air intake,,,

However,,, YMMV :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I broke it in like I'll ride it. I'm not an agressive rider, so no big deal. A bike dealer who I know suggested this is the best way to do it and how they break their bikes in. He said you never heard it from me :p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts