M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think a couple members here are running 280's on a stocker. They'll chime in soon I'm sure.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Hey guys just wondering, with the stock rim how big can you go. :dontknow:

Thanx Onnie :doorag:
260 Metzeler or 250 Dunlop EIII. The Dunlop is actually noticably wider than the Metzeler, even though the sizes would indicate otherwise. This is because, historically, for as long as I have been riding, since 1976, Metzelers must have used some un-calibrated calipers. Because they have always been narrower than any of the other companies comparable sizes.

Ohh, the Dunlop is about half-price what you will pay for a Metz, and lasts about twice as many miles to boot. Figure about 6,000 miles for a Metz and about 11 to 12,000 for the Dunlop.

There are a few loonies :) that run the Metz 280 on the stock rim, but it really is not a good idea. In addition it costs a small fortune to get one, and will not last any longer than the 260 mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I think a couple members here are running 280's on a stocker. They'll chime in soon I'm sure.
There are people who have ignored the manufacturer's recommendations and put a 280 on a stock rim.

If you feel like risking it and having nobody to sue when things go bad, then go for it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
OK I know I'm gonna show my newness here, and I know my bike came with a 260 on it from the P/O. (cuz I went out and looked after reading here).

I see post where a LOT of effort is put into all this big tire stuff including tearing apart the bike and making special pieces to mount a larger tire.

But can anyone tell me the reason everyone keeps going wider? I love the look of the back of the bike, but past the way it looks is there any advantage to this?

·
Registered
337 Posts
OK I know I'm gonna show my newness here, and I know my bike came with a 260 on it from the P/O. (cuz I went out and looked after reading here).

I see post where a LOT of effort is put into all this big tire stuff including tearing apart the bike and making special pieces to mount a larger tire.

But can anyone tell me the reason everyone keeps going wider? I love the look of the back of the bike, but past the way it looks is there any advantage to this?
Wider tire = more macho.

·
Registered
960 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
One more question. Does the 250 dunlop make that much of a difference? I'd hate to go thru the trouble of breaking it down and it's not that noticeable.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

There is a reason beyond looks for the wider tires on the 9. By using a wider tire, your edge is farther out, so when you go to your edge, you are doing so on a different line and in doing so, gain ground clearance and lean angle.

Taken to extremes, this could have bad results if you did not also use a wider front tire to keep your turn geometry. That explains the 160 fronts.

One more question. Does the 250 dunlop make that much of a difference? I'd hate to go thru the trouble of breaking it down and it's not that noticeable.
The 250 is a big difference, but don't swap it out until you are ready to change the tire anyway. Plus, unlike the 280 on a 10" rim, the 250 on the stock rim can be installed in the same way the stock 240 can.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think the 250 makes a huge difference!!!!! I bought mine with the 250 already installed..."man that tire is fat!!!!" is all i get from the on-lookers!!!!!!!:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
There are people who have ignored the manufacturer's recommendations and put a 280 on a stock rim.

If you feel like risking it and having nobody to sue when things go bad, then go for it.
Leave it to the lawyer to bring it down to money and who you can sue. Whenever you modify your bike you assume the risk and possible consequences that those mods may cause you down the road. I would think that most here understand that concept. Case in point a lot of us run 160's on the front of our bikes. That tire is not recommended for a 3.5 inch wheel which is what the stock size wheel is on the 109. I guess if it fails I will have no one to sue.

I run a 160 on the front and a 280 on a 10 inch wheel on the back. I have had what I consider a positive experience with the 160 on the front. I did not go 280 on the stock rear wheel because honestly, it does not look good IMHO. The 280 on the stock wheel rounds over at the edges and you are not getting the full width of that tire on the 8.5 inch wheel. So, in the end the 160 gave me that fat look up front that a lot of us love and the 280 on stock just isn't worth the extra money for no substantial gain in looks or performance. There are plenty of folks who have mounted and put many miles on the 280 on the stock wheel. I have never heard of a single reported incident of that set up failing. Just doesn't seem worth the extra cost for the 280 if you're not going to get all you can from it. IMHO, If you're staying stock go Metz 260 out back.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts

I know the "beaver" is in the way but here's the difference 240/250. Notice how the 250 is wider than the license plate bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
Another vote for the 160 front with 260 rear Metz.
The 260 not only looks wider than the stock 240 it is also taller. From what I've read (and now is my experience) this combo really improves performance. I ride in LA where the freeways are crap and you have to go 80 to keep from being run over. In these conditions, you want a tall tire for a cushy ride, and wider for the twisties. At some point you have to decide on your priority. Performance or fashion?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Leave it to the lawyer to bring it down to money and who you can sue. Whenever you modify your bike you assume the risk and possible consequences that those mods may cause you down the road. I would think that most here understand that concept. Case in point a lot of us run 160's on the front of our bikes. That tire is not recommended for a 3.5 inch wheel which is what the stock size wheel is on the 109. I guess if it fails I will have no one to sue.
Though you presume that most understand the concept of assuming the risk, you seem not to.

Metz publishes recommended application to limit their risk to those parameters. As long as you stay within those recommendations, you do not assume the risk. When you ignore their recommendations, that is when you assume the risk.

Go ahead and take issue with the fact that I point to the money trail, but if I, you or anyone was injured because of a malfunction in the tire, while using the tire in a way the manufacturer approved of, you may not think you would care about the money until you have been unable to work for a year, lost your health insurance, have lost your house and are feeding your kids with food stamps.

Now say that same tire malfunction happen, but you were outside of the recommended use. They say it was not a malfunction, but a failure caused by your abuse of the tire and by ignoring their recommendations, you have caused your own injury and therefore they are not paying for your medical treatment or your lost time from work. Now, you lose the house, you do not get medical treatment until social security disability will finally cover you, the delay in treatment causes some of your injuries to be permanent so you spend every day of your life in pain, your kids only eat welfare approved food items and they had better be smart or athletic if they have any hope for college while you end up in a government nursing home and die young from an infected bedsore.

That is the money I am talking about and not to consider the possible extent of the risk you are assuming when making decisions is foolish.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

I know the "beaver" is in the way but here's the difference 240/250. Notice how the 250 is wider than the license plate bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup the 240 is 9.25" 250 is 10.04" as per the tire selection site

1 - 20 of 110 Posts