M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get from past posts that a certain amount of rubbing is normal when you change brake pads.

Is it normal for them all to get hot enough so you can just touch them before you have to pull your hand away?

I hear some rubbing coming from the front left side of the wheel.

The rear router is hoter than that one though.

I touch another bikes routers nad were almost ambient temp.

Is all this normal?

???

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
They get hot from use, but should only be slightly warm if you're just riding it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zoom,

This hot is from rubbing.

We went out for a ride just after changing pads and checked the temp on mine and one of the others riders.

His were practically cool and mine were hot.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
It might take a few miles for them to bed in. If you notice, the rotors probably have some fine ridges on them. The tops of those ridges make contact with the pads and would tend to cause them to get a little warm, but they shouldn't get so hot that you can't touch them.

Does it still stop alright? Does it feel like they release when you let off the brakes? I'm assuming all you did was replace the pads and didn't bleed them or replace the levers or anything like that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats right. I didnt bleed them, just replaced the pads.

When I use the brakes the grab real good like they should and realese like they should.

I dont feel like they are holding the bike back any, just didnt want to go on a long ride or hot out of the chute for too long and have my calipers melt or catch fire or something.

They do get hot enough so you cant touch them but for a split second.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By replacing the levers you mean the brake lever on my hand right. Nothing else was done except change pads.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I would just give them a few miles. Test them by applying the brakes a little every few minutes to make sure they still work and are releasing, because if they get too hot they can lock the brakes up. You should be able to feel the loss in power before they actually lock the wheels up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Zoom,

I'll give it a few days. I have about 100 miles on the pads now. Will keep it slow and low on the miles till I see some change.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts