M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My key seems to be really hot when I pull it out. I have had my 9 over 2.5 years and 23600 miles and don't remember it doing that before.The bike is stock except for chrome goodies :D and I installed a GIpro w/atre in the spring but could not ride it until recently. The atre is in the off mode and just use it for the gear indicator. The bike runs great but was wondering if something might be wrong?

·
Registered
263 Posts
there may be a electrical problem in you ignition switch, I have never felt heat from my key after taking it out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Me neither...:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
Mine will get warm, but not hot. After a longer ride the switch will absorb some heat off the rear cylinder and warm the key up.

If it's drawing enough current to actually cause the key to get hot, it should start showing up as a low battery at some point. You might check the amp draw on the battery and see if it's running higher than it should be.

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
Maybe it is the hot weather and what Zoom stated about riding for a while and the rear jug heating up the switch a little. I never noticed mine being hot.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm not sure if the 109 has an extra connector in the headlight but I did on my wife's M50. If there is and you have wired some lights or other thing through that connector without a relay that could be what is causing it. I ended up melting the wires in the ignition. The symptoms were a warm key, follwed about a month later by intermittent power issues when starting the bike to no power at all.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Mine gets warm after a long ride and high temps. I don't see it being a problem unless it's so hot you can't touch it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
check your earth cable to battery ............:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:might be loose or corroded.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ground cable is clean and tight. Just realized that when I put a new battery in last month I connected the ground first not the positive like the manual says to do. Could that be why the key and switch get so hot?

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Ground cable is clean and tight. Just realized that when I put a new battery in last month I connected the ground first not the positive like the manual says to do. Could that be why the key and switch get so hot?
Nope

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
mine gets pretty darn hot also,(hot enough you dont want to squeeze the metal part)

I smell antifreeze every once in a while too.....

I tightened all the hose clamps under tank and still get a whiff from time to time but cant find any leaks
(coolant level is still good)

guess I'll keep riding till something breaks, then I will know whats up

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
:bigthumbsup:
mine gets pretty darn hot also,(hot enough you dont want to squeeze the metal part)

I smell antifreeze every once in a while too.....

I tightened all the hose clamps under tank and still get a whiff from time to time but cant find any leaks
(coolant level is still good)

guess I'll keep riding till something breaks, then I will know whats up
:bigthumbsup:
"If it works don't fix it"

Hey Keith, I never take mine out:eek: and half of the time I forget to turn it off:confused:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My key seems to be really hot when I pull it out. I have had my 9 over 2.5 years and 23600 miles and don't remember it doing that before.The bike is stock except for chrome goodies and I installed a GIpro w/atre in the spring but could not ride it until recently. The atre is in the off mode and just use it for the gear indicator. The bike runs great but was wondering if something might be wrong?
food for thougth - You are in florida, it is summer, temp is probrably 80 or above, the ignition is located behind the engine, 3 inches from the rear cylinder, and heat is blown off engine toward the rear of the bike......need I say more, I have 5 buddies with 109's and all of us have mentioned key being hot when takin out after a ride ......

Jmho

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a polished stainless steel cap on my key and let me tell you after a good run on a hot day that fuc*er gets hot. Don't worry about it there is not a thing wrong with your bike...

·
Registered
300 Posts
be sure your insurance is paid up, just in case.....(see post of the harley burning) :joke: hope everything is fine!!

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
No.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hot key

Hey I live in Oklahoma and the temps here have been in the hundreds I have never had that prob with key getting hot :doorag:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hot key

Hey I live in Oklahoma and the temps here have been in the hundreds I have never had that prob with key getting hot :doorag:

·
Registered
11 Posts
My key seems to be really hot when I pull it out. I have had my 9 over 2.5 years and 23600 miles and don't remember it doing that before.The bike is stock except for chrome goodies :D and I installed a GIpro w/atre in the spring but could not ride it until recently. The atre is in the off mode and just use it for the gear indicator. The bike runs great but was wondering if something might be wrong?
Well, I had this issue this summer. The key was really hot, as well as the engine was much warmer than at my friend's 9. It appeared that radiator was broken and there were not enough coolant in the sistem. The funny thing about it is that the level of coolant in the plastic tank at the left of the bike was showing GOOD LEVEL. Apparently if you have big enough hole in your radiator - there is not enough pressure to suck coolant from the tank.... Interesting, isnt it?
Very hot key is a sign of overheating. Take off the tank and check if there is enough coolant in the radiator!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts