M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From where do I connect the old horn wires with the new horn wires. If anybody has pictures please post.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stebel horn

Would like to replace the original horn with a stebel, but cannot work out where to connect the old horn wire with the new one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Buy a plug and play kit from Rynosback.PM him he will set you up.Very good guy to deal with,has lots of info.Your stock horn will stay in the loop.

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
No rynosback will have wiring from battery, to existing horn and to the stebel. The wiring is perfect and exactly what you will need. I cannot say it enough...its PERFECT. Find out where you want it and both horns will sound when you hit the horn. Although you will not hear the stock horn unless the stebel goes out. ha

good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
838 Posts
So with Ryno's kit, the only wiring runs from the OEM horn????
I'm not exactly sure how Ryno's kit is connected but I think it's hard wired from the main source. (not the factory horns) alot of people have it to where you are able to use both (stock and steble) horns together. One as a back up for the other. Just incase. From what I've read in the past. Ryno's plug and play is the poop :bigthumbsup: (in a good way)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I installed the Stebel horn yesterday with Rynosback plug and play harness. It was really easy and the directions he emailed me were on point. After hooking everything up I chose not to keep the factory horn in the loop. Disconnected the two wires and taped them together. I LOVE MY STEBEL HORN!!!! My friend who rides a 2008 VTX 1800 heard it for the first time in real life, not on youtube, and his jaw dropped. I bought him one for christmas and he has not installed it yet. He too will buy the plug and play from Rynosback. We will make noise at the MEET. Get the harness you will NOT regret it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
both wires you need to tap into are right in the bucket. If you need the color codes I can look them up.then both are still active.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Use Rynosback's harness for easy plug and play installation.
The Stebel draws some serious current and must be powered directly from the battery via relay. The stock horn wiring and switch will burn up if you try to connect the Stebel in series with it.

Rynosback's harness uses the power from the stock horn to activate the relay for the Stebel so your OEM wiring remains unchanged. This also keeps your stock horn in the loop as a backup if the stebel should ever fail. His harness is pre-cut to length, has all terminals installed and clearly labeled, and is professionally shrink tubed and insulated. If you have even the most basic technical skills you can do this install with the directions and photos he sends with the kit.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
maybe I did it wrong, but dont the two wires going to the horn go to ,two of the 4 relay posts? so wiring it in a series shouldnt be a problem. run an additional hot wire to the relay and your good to go. or is this wrong?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,084 Posts
maybe I did it wrong, but dont the two wires going to the horn go to ,two of the 4 relay posts? so wiring it in a series shouldnt be a problem. run an additional hot wire to the relay and your good to go. or is this wrong?
You got it right. The hot wire needs to go to the relay, and you can also run the ground to it if you want. If you don't want the stock horn in the circuit you just pull the connectors off the horn and wire them to the relay. If you want it left in the circuit, just leave them connected then tap into the wires and run them to the relay.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
You got it right. The hot wire needs to go to the relay, and you can also run the ground to it if you want. If you don't want the stock horn in the circuit you just pull the connectors off the horn and wire them to the relay. If you want it left in the circuit, just leave them connected then tap into the wires and run them to the relay.
:agree: But why would you not want the stock horn in the loop? What if the horn or relay should take a crap? Then when you hit the horn, when wanting it, you would get nothing. To me it is all about safety. Better to have a back up horn just in case. Thanks for the Props also guys. I really did try and make it as easy as possible.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,084 Posts
:agree: But why would you not want the stock horn in the loop? What if the horn or relay should take a crap? Then when you hit the horn, when wanting it, you would get nothing. To me it is all about safety. Better to have a back up horn just in case. Thanks for the Props also guys. I really did try and make it as easy as possible.
I didn't like the sound they both made together was the only reason I didn't wire it in. But I did it in parallel and added a switch to the hot wire between where I tapped into it for the relay and the stock horn. Flip the switch and the stock horn is back in service again. I didn't want to complicate the answer by adding that. :D

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I didn't like the sound they both made together was the only reason I didn't wire it in. But I did it in parallel and added a switch to the hot wire between where I tapped into it for the relay and the stock horn. Flip the switch and the stock horn is back in service again. I didn't want to complicate the answer by adding that. :D
You heard your stock horn when the Stebel blows? WOW, and I thought I had some good hearing. Well, except for my wifes tone. :D

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
You heard your stock horn when the Stebel blows? WOW, and I thought I had some good hearing. Well, except for my wifes tone. :D
LOL no that's the selective kicking in

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,084 Posts
I didn't notice it when I had it behind the side cover, but I could tell it when I moved it to the nacelle. I guess with the sound going more forward and the stock horn being directed somewhat backward made it more noticeable.

Really, if you aren't listening for it you won't notice it. But with it switched on or off you can tell the difference. Plus I like having options. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts