M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but I didn't find anything. So here's the problem. My horn will only work once in a blue moon. It WAS working every time I tried it until..............wait for it.............my road test. I could have lit this big bastard on fire right then and there! I checked the fuses under the seat, but there is NO FUSE labeled horn. Also, none of those fuses were blown. All other switches are functioning properly. The horn switch clicks and SEEMS right. Now the weird part......every now and then I can get it to work for about half a second. Could it be a ground wire maybe? How much dis-assembling am I going to have to do to get at it? Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
IMO....I feel embarrassed when my horn works. LMAO.....beep beep

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Is this the stock horn?

sent from my galaxy S3 from somewhere outside space

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this the stock horn?

Yeah it's the stock horn........and yeah I don't like the sound either lol. I'd never use it anyway. But can't take my damn road test without it........even some kind of temporary mcgyver type of fix would work.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Have you checked all the connections

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I haven't checked all the connections......only the switch and basically sighting the horn and nothing LOOKS loose. This is where I need some help. What do I need to remove to be able to get at the horn? Is this one of those things that I'll have to take half the bike apart? It's an '07 if that helps.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Where do u live? Near the ocean? Sometimes the salt air forks up the connections and u need to use some krokus cloth or emery cloth on the connectors.
troy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope nowhere near the ocean. I'm sure a wire rattled loose, that's the only thing in my mind that makes sense since it will work every now and then. BUT........lol I'm not mechanically inclined and have no idea where to start removing parts to get at the horn. Do I need to start with the tank? Or do I go through the headlight route? Basically, I don't want to pay a mechanic $200 to re attach a lose wire lol. I'd rather do a little checking myself before I take it in.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If I remember correctly, pull the forward fairings off, including the lower forward one. Unbolt the top radiator bolts and reach in to the horn. C if the connectors are tight. If not, use a small needle nose plyers or a small flat blade screwdriver and bend the tongs closer together to get a better bite.
hope this helps.
troy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Download the manual! It will show you how to dis-assemble and re-asseble everything on your bike!!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I would first trying to reach up there and wiggle the wires at the horn could just be a little corrosion you can get to them with taking anything off.. I did...and hooked in my air horn without taking anything off...

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Get the manual downloaded ,locate the horn pull the wires and test it on the battery if it works trace your connections in the harness unplug them and re-connect them you might even want to put some dielectric grease in your connections as you go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I got the manual now.......gonna give this a go. I know the horn works when it has proper current, so the way I see it, I just have to find the loose connection or bad wire.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Carry an airhorn in ur pocket, LMAO!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well apparently the problem is solved. Took everything apart, pulled the horn and tested it...........no go. It was seized or something I don't know. So I smacked it a few times........hooked it back up and now it works. No idea why or how, guess I was due for some good luck lol.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Well apparently the problem is solved. Took everything apart, pulled the horn and tested it...........no go. It was seized or something I don't know. So I smacked it a few times........hooked it back up and now it works. No idea why or how, guess I was due for some good luck lol.
:bigthumbsup: I would replace it if it failed once it will fail again. go with the Steble Nautilus.

·
Registered
498 Posts
:agree::agree: And i think you can buy a stock horn on eBay for like $5.
I know where u can find a Stebel wiring harness to go with ur new Stebel! ;)
troy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts