M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that the cost of a Suzuki oil filter is way too high. So I decided to make my own and save a bunch of money.

What I did was take the old filter off and drain the oil good. Next I took a Dremmel cutting wheel and cut all around the outside of the metal shell. The next thing to do is clean out all the guts from the old filter. It is pretty messy and may take some time but it will all come out pretty good.

I went to the pet store and bought a bunch of filter floss. The packaging said it can filter down to so many microns (I don't remember how many). Anyway, take a bunch of the filter floss and shove it up in the metal housing and pack it really tight. Next thing to do is put the end of the filter back on. That would be the part that screws onto the motorcycle.

After you have the end back on and it fits flush with the housing, take and roll some liquid steel into a long rope (make sure you nead it good to make sure the epoxy stuff is well blended). Next, place the liquid steel rope around where the housing and the end meet (where you cut it apart). Let the liquid steel harden at least a couple hours.

After the stuff hardens, kind of pull on the housing and the end to make sure you have a good connection where you had cut the filter. It it doesn't come apart your filter is done.

You are then ready to put your new filter back on your bike. Usually the Oring is good for a whole bunch of changes. Let your bike warm up and check for leaks. Ride the bike a couple miles and make sure it still isn't leaking. If there are no leaks then you are done.

You can save a whole bunch of money doing your own oil filters.

mania

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey...i'll be right back...gotta go to the pet store!!!  :eek:  :joke:  :D  ::)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Rebuilding my filter as we speak. :joke: I'll bet you could do something similar with the air filter as well. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Candingo said:
Would tampons work.......I could steal some from my wife.
Naw... don't use tampons. They are too absorbent. You would probably soak up too much engine oil out of the sump and damage your motor.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Between this and mixing premium with regular fuel, I will save enough money to topple the economy of several third world nations...or buy an extra beer at happy hour  :joke:

·
Registered
450 Posts
No!!! he's not kidding. :eek: Hell, been doing it for years, here in alabama. Haven't lost one yet. Actually just plug the filter hole. it will work also :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ah..........ok........ :eek:............. I'll stick to paying too much for that dinky filter :p

·
Registered
379 Posts
I got it Why don't you just completely gut the filter, reinstall it, and forget it. Don't forget to check the o'ring before reinstalling. We wouldn't want any leaks.

Now with nothing left in the filter to get dirty, you would never need to change it again. :joke:

Brilliant I know. ::)

·
Registered
88 Posts
While the genius behind that oil filter rebuild has a great idea, the delivery of the design is off a bit. just one more thing to look for when I buy another engine for my Ram. :pop:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Damn Mania...Now ya tell me it's a joke!!!

anyone need any filter floss and liquid steel...i'll sell it cheap!!!  :D  ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
billh1943 said:
Damn Mania...Now ya tell me it's a joke!!!

anyone need any filter floss and liquid steel...i'll sell it cheap!!! :D ;)
Don't throw it away !!! Send it to me. I like metric man's idea. I can rebuild oil fiilters for profit. Let's see... hmmmm. Labor and material... I think 35 cents each per filter would work. Now, you would have to pay shipping.

mania :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts