M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a thread on here a while ago detailing how to build and assemble an air kit. It was the round forward facing filters similar to the tornadoes. Can anyone provide an up to date how to, including what to buy etc on this mod? The old thread used to have pics but they're not available any more. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What gets me is the size (diameter of the PVC, elbow, etc.) and what is the deal with the small filter I see sometimes? Anywho, I'm going to head to my local parts store tomorrow and get started.

·
Registered
310 Posts
maybe if you make it work you could psot up a how to on this topic...I am also very interested!:clap2:

·
Registered
918 Posts
for those who want it posted....
Spectre parts from pepboys or other Auto parts store will get you what you need..
:agree:i used all 3'' parts, 2. P4 air filters, 2. 90 degree elbows, 2. 3'' silicone couplers, 1. 3'' straight tube 6'' long cut down to about 4'' and 2. 2-1/2'' pvc couplers from your local hardware store.

I just put the pvc coupler about half way inside the the 90 degree elbow and drilled 4, 1/8'' holes and bolted the coupler to the elbow with half of the couple sticking up out of the elbow, and then sealed around the 2 parts with silicone. then put the pvc coupler up in the rubber air box tube.

I cut the 3''siliconee couplers, so I could wrap them around the joint of the 90 degree elbow and the rubber air box tube. and used the clamps to fasten together.

and as for brackets I used 1/8''x 1''x 36''aluminumn flat bar stock from the local hardware store and bent as needed

Sorry that I did not take any pics when putting this together but if you still need some pics I can take mine apart and take some pics.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Guess one big question is how much improved is the air flow? How does that compare to Ducks custom covers? I know it's a different look but I'm sure some would like to know this before deciding which way they want to go on changing air intake system.

·
Registered
918 Posts
there has to be a lot more air flow when moving, like a ram air kit on a car, the faster you go the more air that get directed in to the filters, as for a performance I done a lot of stuff to the bike at one time so I'm not a good one to ask about that.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
Guess one big question is how much improved is the air flow? How does that compare to Ducks custom covers? I know it's a different look but I'm sure some would like to know this before deciding which way they want to go on changing air intake system.
With the Ducks covers, it depends on the design. The design has to have more opening than the stock opening in the back of the box already provides. Then you have the benefit of it drawing in cool air instead of hot air off the engine.

And the only filter options with the Ducks is either to keep the stock filters or go to the K&N's. The K&N's flow more air, but are still marginal for maximum performance IMHO. But they do work well with everything short of a good performance pipe, and most seem to even work well with that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts