M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

has as anyone traveled long distance using the train with their motorbike?

I am very excited to save my dimes and do this! Oh this is way too cooool! I've been thinking of ways to get to some of the meets out east. This fits the ticket very nicely!

Anyone else interested? What Meet to go to, or make our own, lol? How about the official centre of North America ? How about a train ride, then onto a ship? Hmm. Where's that Baton? No realy, could make it a 6 day adventure.

Seriousely, please respond!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Limite Routes DC to Florida

Amtrak allows motorcycles to be transported on the Auto Train nonstop between the Washington, DC area and Sanford, Florida, just outside of Orlando. At this time this is the only available route that allows motorcycles. For more additional information on the Auto Train and available accommodations, please see this page. https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-your-car-your-stuff-and-you

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could take the train one way and ride back!
https://www.amtrak.com/trainlocationmap, okay bikes can't get on or off just any

Experience Auto Train Any Day between Washington, DC and Orlando, FL

Well this would be a cool way to get accross the country!

I hope you have a second bike to take the train! They have a 7 inch wide max wheel limit.
it that more for the front tire to go into their front bike tire guide? There is a waver one can use for wide sadle bags. Hmm, maybe have to drop them a note with some questions.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
it that more for the front tire to go into their front bike tire guide? There is a waver one can use for wide sadle bags. Hmm, maybe have to drop them a note with some questions.
It didn't state front or rear, only 7 inch was the maximum width. I would bet it was for the front wheel but i would definitely check first to be certain.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I took the auto train with my 9 160 front tire and tsukayu saddle bags without a problem. Just gotta watch when they ratchet your bike down they blew out some guy with a road kings fork seal tried to act like its a normal thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the auto train with my 9 160 front tire and tsukayu saddle bags without a problem. Just gotta watch when they ratchet your bike down they blew out some guy with a road kings fork seal tried to act like its a normal thing.

Oh fantastic! Great tip thank you, Do you have any pics to share! Can you elaborate more about your trip? Was it worth the money?

Thank you, thank you for responding!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well I rode from Long Island New York to Orlando Florida on a stock m109 seat. I left from NY about 1 pm and was in Orlando by 130pm the next day. Probably the least exciting ride I've had. nothing but long straight roads all the way down I-95. After that ordeal I decided that I should take the train back. I think it cost somewhere around $300 and it took just about 25 hours between loading the bike and unloading the bike, to go the 700 or so miles from Florida to Virginia. To me the train was worth it.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I rode from Long Island New York to Orlando Florida on a stock m109 seat. I left from NY about 1 pm and was in Orlando by 130pm the next day. Probably the least exciting ride I've had. nothing but long straight roads all the way down I-95. After that ordeal I decided that I should take the train back. I think it cost somewhere around $300 and it took just about 25 hours between loading the bike and unloading the bike, to go the 700 or so miles from Florida to Virginia. To me the train was worth it.
Oh wow thank you for your post, these pics help a lot, I love this idea!

Would you every consider taking the train out west with the 9?
If we were to ride the train out east, would there be lots of great sights to see riding the 9 in Florida?
Is it mostly hyway riding, with tones of traffic?

We have not been to Florida or any where east outside of Canada. Contimplating where to ride, how long it may take and of coarse how much $$ will need to reserve accomidations. Hmmmm we have not chatted with Amtrak yet to see if the bikes could be off loaded any place along the line from Washington to Florida.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it is available, you should plan on coming to either MAM or the pre meet next year... or both if you have the time. Some of the best riding on the east coast. Plus, you get to meet everyone and put a face to the screen names. :D
Thank you for the tips! I just got off the phone with Amtrak, there are no auto trains from west coast to east coast, I miss took Washington Dc for Washington state! Dammmmmmm! I will keep trying, I asked customer service to push this onto a wish list! Maybe in a few years they may come up with one an auto accross country train tour? We shall see. Hmm the only other option besides simply riding the 9 accross the country and back or to trailer it! Is to take a ship! Sail from Seatle, Panama, and up the east coast, hmmm.

Will have to start a new thread!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts