M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I ordered a set of spiked bar ends, made specifically for the m109r and the gsxer. They are suppose to shove into the hollow handle bar ends.
Well, I just read a thread that states that the handle bars are solid:doh:. You have to be kidding me. Can anyone confirm that i'm pooched.

Dave

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The bars are hollow.

However, there are weights near each end that would make them appear solid if you did not know what you were looking at.

You can remove the weight, which is only about an inch long, by either drilling it out or drilling/grinding the weld if you can locate that through the chrome.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Why don't you just get the iso grips with the spiked ends? Seems like a lot less work for the same result. That is what I did. IMO.:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
You can remove the weight, which is only about an inch long, by either drilling it out or drilling/grinding the weld if you can locate that through the chrome.
On mine the weld is easy to see. Pull the grips off and look under the bar about 1 1/2" back from the ends. There is a slight depression where the weld is.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really didn't want to mess with the bars. Do you think these spikes could slide into the front axle...for axle spikes?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Those look like the ones I bought. I could not get them to work, so I drilled into the weights inside the handlebar. I then took the bolt from the spike and hammered it into the hole. I then put the plastic chrome spacer on, then screwed the spike onto the end of the bar. You will need to make up the space where the stock plastic chrome cap was if you still have your stock grips like I do. I cut some black rubber hose that was the right thickness to make up the space between the stock rubber grip and the chrome spike. If you think the spike will come loose, put some loc tite on the bolt and enjoy. I don't know if this will work for you, but I love the look of my spikes. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts