M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got around to rigging up a mount for my video camera on the 109. I tried just using Zip ties to strap the camera to the handle bars, but the camera leaned too bad. Then after almost giving up on the idea, I remembered my Bogen Monopod that I use for photography. I took the small ball head off and strapped it to the side of the right riser. Then I just oriented the camera until it was right and locked the ball in place. A little electrical tape over the mic holes to tame the wind noise, and I think the videos came out pretty good. It was late in the afternoon, so the lighting could be better, but it did make for a couple cool scenes with the sun directly at my back which gave a good shot of my shadow out front. Anyway, these are some of the roads I really like to ride hard. Very few straight sections. If my rear tire wasn't getting close to bald, I would be scraping more, but I'm just not quite comfortable with the rear sliding out in a sharp corner just yet. It's hard to tell how fast I'm really going in the video because you don't hear all the wind, and the wide angle lens makes the scenery move by slower. Most shots I'm at least 10-15 mph over posted with some at double posted. Oh well, enjoy.

Here's a clip of me riding what's called Snake Road. It's a short, but very tight and twisty section that makes you feel like you're in the mountains.

http://media.putfile.com/M109R-on-Stake-Road

This video is another twisty road with one real tight corner where I scrape my pegs and pipes pretty hard. I've officially past the point of replacing my peg feelers again as I've ground the mount down completely and started wearing the actual peg out.

http://media.putfile.com/Shostinging-Pipes-and-Pegs-on-M109R

Here's another twisty road that makes you feel like you're in the mountains. Hit the pegs pretty hard on this one too.

http://media.putfile.com/M109R-on-Yates-Hill-Rd

This next one is about 4 minutes long (12MB). It has a couple cool shots with the sun at my back tossing my shadow out front. If it didn't run right through deer hunting land in the middle of deer season, I would ride it harder. I have to watch out for deer and dogs running them.

http://media.putfile.com/M109R-on-Blewett-Falls-Road-Pt-2

·
Registered
237 Posts
Very cool stuff!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Had to laugh when I caught myself tilting my head while watching. :D By the way love the shadow affect, you're actually not a bad looking guy... :joke: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
heh, very nice vids. the camera is not jumpy, and the sound is great (no wind rushing noise). looks like you have some fun roads around there.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brbluetele said:
Had to laugh when I caught myself tilting my head while watching.Â
I do the same thing. :D

phaed said:
heh, very nice vids. the camera is not jumpy, and the sound is great (no wind rushing noise). looks like you have some fun roads around there.
Thanks. I'll post a pic of my camera mount tomorrow when I get off work. It actually worked better than I expected it to. The electrical tape works great with the wind noise. I read about that trick in someone else's video thread.

As for the roads... it's funny how you don't notice the 'nicer' roads where you live until you start to look for them on a bike. There are many twisty roads here that you just don't see unless you go looking for them. Most traffic uses the straight main highways and bypasses to get around.

·
Registered
702 Posts
very fun vids to watch. it'l be good therapy this winter :bigthumbsup:

btw, you show good technique. nice smooth throttle application and roll off.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice vids, I enjoyed them, must have a go later this summer. What gears were you using on those twisties? Seemed like the revs were well down, what was tthe speed range ?
I ask because I cannot leave town where I live without doing the twisties either way out of town and on many of them 60 to 80 kph is fast, and third gear works well for this.
I think your bends on the vids were faster? hard to tell though.
Thanks for sharing
Cheers Phil

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GTBozak said:
btw, you show good technique. nice smooth throttle application and roll off.
Thank you. I'm working on my setups going into corners. I still blow my lines pretty regularly, but I'm learning.

coriman said:
What gears were you using on those twisties? Seemed like the revs were well down, what was tthe speed range ?
Most of the tight corners I'm in 3rd gear. I try to keep my RPM around 4500 or so when entering a corner to keep the ground clearance up, and keep the suspension stable. In the not so tight corners, I'm usually hitting them around 50 or 60mph, with the tighter ones around 35-45mph. I sometimes shift down to second if the corner is really tight and I gotta hit it slower. It's tough to really gague speed in the video because the sound is muted and the scenery seems to go by slower than it really is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great Vids, wish I had twisties around here but South Florida is as flat as it gets wish I had some curves but I don't so I get really cool speed burst going down card sound about 120 to 140 mph early in the morning and the veiw is awesome but some twisties would rock. Thanks for the vids

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the mount I rigged up. It's using a small Bogen Ball Head. I think these can be bought for around $30. I just put electrical tape on the bottom to protect the finish of my riser. Then I used a bunch of zip ties to secure it. It allows me to angle the camera just about any way I want to... even turned around facing me. I've not shot any video like that, so I don't know if it would even be interesting to watch. Maybe I could use it as a cut-in to go with the forward facing video. Now I want to go ride with a friend of mine on his new CBR. Most of the guys I ride with on cruisers don't hit the curves nearly as hard as I do, so I don't think they would make good video. Anyway, here's the mount setup.

And links to a couple more angles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/Medic1210/CameraMount2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/Medic1210/CameraMount4.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice vid... I going to have to catch (if I can) and ride the twisties in Rockingham. I live in Burlington which isn't too far from you I believe. :bigthumbsup: keep riding and practicing.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CW_M109R said:
Nice vid... I going to have to catch (if I can) and ride the twisties in Rockingham. I live in Burlington which isn't too far from you I believe. :bigthumbsup: keep riding and practicing.
Let me know if you can make it one Friday night, and we'll make a day of riding the twisties and hit the drag strip that night. That would be pretty cool. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
m109rbadboy said:
hell ya...get some video goin down the strip....that wood be bad.
If I don't get anybody to hold the camera and film me, I'll mount it and get first person video. If I do that though, I hope you can see the tree from the line.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for letting me ride your bike  :bigthumbsup: My wife was laughing at me also as I was turning my head and shoulder in the turns  :D :D
Great video

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
m109okie said:
Thanks for letting me ride your bike :bigthumbsup: My wife was laughing at me also as I was turning my head and shoulder in the turns :D :D
Great video
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Glad you liked them. I hope to make a few more tomorrow if the weather is nice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts