M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was cruising home in the dark coming back from the Wharf Rat Rally and hit a stick in the road. Never thought much about it till I got home. Pulled in the basement and it was pissing radiator fluid. The stick had flown up and broke the plastic chrome cover at the bottom of the radiator and put a large dent in the radiator.
I was too pissed off to do much after that... will have to look at it tomorrow. Can something like this be fixed? JB weld maybe?

Looks like I won't be going back to the rally this weekend even if the weather does co-operate. :-[

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
take it to your local radiator repare shop, they can have you back on the road in no time.

and just a little help, if you where on a raod trip and this happened, go to the grocery store, get a egg, crack it, drop it in the radiator, it will cook the egg, and the egg will fill the holes. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know the name of the lower chrome piece (left side) that covers the rad? And maybe suggestions of where to get one???

Thanks

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
take it to your local radiator repare shop, they can have you back on the road in no time.

and just a little help, if you where on a raod trip and this happened, go to the grocery store, get a egg, crack it, drop it in the radiator, it will cook the egg, and the egg will fill the holes. :D
So let me get this right. Do not scramble the egg, do it sunny side up. :p :D :joke:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
:agree: don't go the cheap route. get your radiator fixed properly by a radiator shop. you wouldn't want to risk damaging your engine due to overheating or risk a breakdown while on a long ride far from home because of a cheap fix.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys....need to remove the rad tonight....anyone have instructions for this somewhere...or tips? I would REALLY appreciate some help on this.
I do have a rad shop that can work on it but I have to get it off tonight.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok... took off the rad.... thanks for the help guys.

Took it to a friend of mine who works on bikes.... we cleaned up the cut real good with a dremel tool and decided to JB weld it. I think it is gonna work fine. We will try a pressure test to see if it is fixed. If not I will try a pro rad shop. What had happened is the wood bent up the fold at the bottom and that was where the split is. The split was like a V-groove and after roughing it up it was a good candidate for JB weld.

Hope it works...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good luck with that JB weld. I have known several welders, of various talents, who all laugh and shake their heads when I ask if JB Weld will work for this or that. :nojoke:

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
If it was my radiator, I would take it and get it done right the first time.
Otherwise I predict a second time in your immediate future.
Today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year?
I would never ride it far and have a good feeling about JB Weld on my pressurized radiator.

But thats just me. ;-)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Sorry to dogpile but you are playing with fire. Do NOT use JB Weld. Ge to a real radiator shop and have it welded. It is just not worth the damage that could occur.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sounds like you have a perfect excuse to get a chrome chin spoiler from Low and Mean.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input guys.... I understand the concern about JB weld. The thing was it happened Wed. and needed it fixed for this Sunday to attend the Wharf Rat Rally. I couldn't get anyone to work on it Friday so fixed it with the weld.
It is back together and is not leaking.... the chrome plastic piece is still broke so i can keep an eye on it. I will take it off in the fall and have it fixed properly.

I will keep you updated....good or bad lol.

Thanks for the input again:bigthumbsup:.... I could take it apart again now in an hour....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys... I will let you know we did the trip to the Wharf Rat Rally with no problems at all.
The JB weld held up awesome....
Just wondering without causing too much why everyone hates JB weld so much.
Like I said I went on a 200 km trip with no problems after using JB.

The weld is good for like 500 degrees and 12000 PSI shear strength and is holding well.
I just want to know why everyone bashes it?
According to the Suzuki Manual the rad only needs to be tested to 17.5 pounds for the pressure.... it does not seem like much.

I am trying to justify $600 for a new rad but I want to know why you think JB weld will not work....

Let me know anyone who has had failures with JB weld....

Thanks for the input

:eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Typically over time the JB weld will break down and chip out or chip off. I used it a couple times...worked for a few months on high heat apps and it just breaks down and comes off. :(

But it is good for low heat non liquid storing fixes as long as they are not load bearing.....so wait......not good for much really? haha

·
Registered
254 Posts
I never leave home without a tube of "magic putty" on my bike or car. I guess it started back in my 4 wheeling days when I saw guys perform miracle "get you home" fixes with the stuff. From punctured sumps to cracked diffs, the magic putty worked wonders.

Any of those quick fix repairs are just that, good to get you home, but forget it for long term fixes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts