M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what might cause my engine to suddenly start idleing higher (around 1200) I have an 08 and it has always idled at around 900. The only changes that might have affected the idle was that I drilled holes in the exhaust pipe (not the baffles). This just started happening while the bike is in gear.
Any guesses?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
Bad TRE, or the idle air control valve is sticking. Are you letting it complete it's start up cycle before trying to crank it?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Mine always idles 1200-1500 on startup

then slows down to 800-900 after it warms up a beat. Cold idle circuit to warm it up, I think they call it

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have the GIPro installed with the Tre feature on. I'll turn it off and see if that cures the problem.

Mine does not reduce idle speed upon warm up it will remain high continuously.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Bad TRE, or the idle air control valve is sticking. Are you letting it complete it's start up cycle before trying to crank it?
I thought my increased idle at start up was associated with a clogged fuel filter. So I changed it (it was filthy), and thought the increased idle was cured, but it just started to happen again. Is there a way to test the TRE to determine if it malfunctioning, and if it is having a problem can it be rehabed?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I thought I read on this subject on here before that Suzuki knows they have a problem with the bikes doing this. That's it's not always the Smart TRE not working :dontknow:

I have the TRE on mine and every once in a while when I start it, it high idles. I just shut if off and restart it and it always goes away on the very next start up. Personally I think it's just a fluke thing that happens with the bike computer system. At least that's what seems to be the case with mine.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
As easy as it was to install my TRE I would just take it out and see if it helps your idle problem. If it didn't help, then like the other poster said, must be a suzuki thing.
I thought my increased idle at start up was associated with a clogged fuel filter. So I changed it (it was filthy), and thought the increased idle was cured, but it just started to happen again. Is there a way to test the TRE to determine if it malfunctioning, and if it is having a problem can it be rehabed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what might cause my engine to suddenly start idleing higher (around 1200) I have an 08 and it has always idled at around 900. The only changes that might have affected the idle was that I drilled holes in the exhaust pipe (not the baffles). This just started happening while the bike is in gear.
Any guesses?
Mine did the same after installing a Smart TRE, took it off and the idle issue went away. I thought it was a bad TRE I purchased on eBay... Didn't realize so many other people had experienced the same issue...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

MY BAD- I should have said "idle air control". I don't have a TRE installed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MY BAD- I should have said "idle air control". I don't have a TRE installed.
I'm sure there is in a service manual, personally I would try cleaning it first. Don't use carb cleaner, brake cleaner or even throttle body cleaner as they do not have lubricating properties and can also remove the protective coating from the metal. IMO the best stuff to use is a BG product called Air Induction System cleaner. It is a little more expensive but worth it. I believe it is around $11 a can and you should be able to pick it up at a Advance Auto or Autozone.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I do have the GIPro installed with the Tre feature on. I'll turn it off and see if that cures the problem.

Mine does not reduce idle speed upon warm up it will remain high continuously.
Mine does just the opposite. Idles at ~ 900 when first started, then when at full operating temp it idles at ~ 1200

1 - 12 of 12 Posts