M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dontknow: So has probably been asked before but I didn't find it... So what is the differance between digital hid lite kits and the hid light bulbs that plug in ???? besides lots of cash.... Thanks... :doorag: I am wanting to get a white light ,,,, something brighter than stock.... 5000

·
Registered
110 Posts
All high-intensity-discharge (HID) lights must use a ballast. Otherwise, the HID bulbs would keep pulling current until they explode.

As Blakester said, the digital ballasts are a little smaller / easier to mount -- and are said to have slightly better handling characteristics than the traditional magnetic ballasts. (Digital supposedly runs cooler, less noise, greater current stability, emergency shut-down -- all of which might help the entire system and bulbs last longer.)

If you're asking the difference between HIDs and higher performance halogen bulbs, the HIDs will generally last longer / consume less power / and usually have higher light output intensity (in terms of lumens).

Downside to HIDs is that they're more expensive, and you need to wire in a relay to power them. The M109 HID kits usually come with a harness/relay ready to install -- mine did from A&R anyway. Piece of cake to install, if you have any technical ability.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
:dontknow: So has probably been asked before but I didn't find it... So what is the differance between digital hid lite kits and the hid light bulbs that plug in ???? besides lots of cash.... Thanks... :doorag: I am wanting to get a white light ,,,, something brighter than stock.... 5000
A real HID kit has to have a ballast. The fake "HID" just the bulb, are not HID lights. They just try to mimick the color temp on the out put, with out really haveing the tru benefit of the real brightness of an HID.

·
Registered
152 Posts
And if you have any quesiton, ryno (guy above this post) will square you away. he knows his stuff and he will set you up.

thanks again ryno...stuff arrives today....

·
Registered
843 Posts
All high-intensity-discharge (HID) lights must use a ballast. Otherwise, the HID bulbs would keep pulling current until they explode.

As Blakester said, the digital ballasts are a little smaller / easier to mount -- and are said to have slightly better handling characteristics than the traditional magnetic ballasts. (Digital supposedly runs cooler, less noise, greater current stability, emergency shut-down -- all of which might help the entire system and bulbs last longer.)

If you're asking the difference between HIDs and higher performance halogen bulbs, the HIDs will generally last longer / consume less power / and usually have higher light output intensity (in terms of lumens).

Downside to HIDs is that they're more expensive, and you need to wire in a relay to power them. The M109 HID kits usually come with a harness/relay ready to install -- mine did from A&R anyway. Piece of cake to install, if you have any technical ability.
after reading this post I just ordered my HID digital light from A&R:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
after reading this post I just ordered my HID digital light from A&R:bigthumbsup:
You spend a little more when you buy from A&R but the customer service after they have your money is worth the extra cost. I have bought two HID kits from Rob, and I will continue to give him my business since he done nothing but impress me with his level of customer service.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Replacement HiD bulbs on eBay are not really any more than regular bulbs. You may have a ballast go out before the bulb does. Have HiDs on my car & 1 ballast has already bit the dust while the bulbs shine on. Have kit for bike to install if I ever get to it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I ordered mine a few days ago. Should be coming in either today or tomorrow.

Did you do it under the group buy price?
I didn't know about the GB pirce :-[ However I did read lastngiht in the how to's about the GB for kit 1 and kit 2. Oh well, it's just money, right? :'(

·
Registered
110 Posts
You spend a little more when you buy from A&R but the customer service after they have your money is worth the extra cost.
I can't second this enough. A&R's customer service is top-notch:

I ordered a kit for both my motorcycle and my truck, and one of the truck's bulbs was faulty. It turned a nasty black/yellow color during the break-in procedure.

Rob at A&R was excellent to deal with -- I told him about the problem late on a friday night, and he immediately shipped out a new bulb Saturday morning, which I received Monday morning, at no charge.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
You should always wipe down the bulb in alcohol (not the drinking kind) to make sure that there are no oils on the bulb. If there are oils on the bulb, it will burn out prematurely.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You should always wipe down the bulb in alcohol (not the drinking kind) to make sure that there are no oils on the bulb. If there are oils on the bulb, it will burn out prematurely.
I used isopropyl alcohol -- the bulb was just faulty. I'm an electrical engineer, and used to do theater lighting for fun, so I've seen what happens when far higher-powered bulbs get oil on them. The glass will actually bubble and expand until it shatters, which isn't fun to clean out of a fresnel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts