M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I installed my HID kit. Looked great, was super pumped to test them out tonight. Noticed a flicker as I pulled out of the driveway, noticed a bigger flicker about 100 ft down the road when i shifted into second, made a corner and then the lights flickered again and then cut out.:edit: Got the bike home, turned it off, started it up again in the garage light looked fine - no flickers.???

Checked the connections, checked the ground and power wire they're all tight. Checked the mount for the blub noticed it was loose, so I tried a little bit of krazy glue so it wouldn't move around the socket anymore... seemed fine. Hooked it all back up... same issues.:edit:

Any hints on this? I'm leaning toward a viration issue with the bulb, but has anyone else had any issues??

Thanks for any help - Kev

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Sounds like it could be a problem with the ballast :dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Check to make sure that your fuse is being held in tightly or you could have a bad ground. How new is the kit? If it is new call the people that sold you the kit. I would think that since the same HID kit that works on the 9 will work on the M90. A lot of guys have an A&R kit. They offer two versions now from $70 shipped.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Problem solved. Checked all connections they were fine, the bulb mount that I reglued was holding very well also. Only thing I could think of was a insufficent ground after checking all that. I had the ground to the frame underneath the body panel between the tank and the fork neck. The piece it was grounded to was annodized metal (where the body panel screws in). So I ran connected a piece of wire directly to the negative battery pole and no issues on acceleration or with bumps.

After that I extended the wire and ran it directly to the negative battery pole. Stupid thing about the kit was that the (positive) power line was 18" longer than the ground line, which is why I grounded it to frame originally (it wouldn't reach the battery).

Lesson learned: always run the ground direct to the battery even if the manufactuer only gives you half the length on the ground cable!

If you guys want videos of the issue and fix (before and after) let me know and I'll upload them.

Thanks for the help guys!

Cheers!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got mine from my dealer. They are a wholeseller for nova-hid.com . I'm gonna go for a long ride through the country tonight to test them out. Around town they seemed way brighter.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice , I just ordered a HID kit , can't wait to install it , Where did u get yours ?
Where did you order yours from?

·
Registered
413 Posts
so I got my 6k kit installed the other night, this kit has no metal shield to block the light. All I can say is WOW!! I can see the cows in the fields on the backroads!! Then I got back in my truck and was like wtf.... I could not see anything. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts