M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the kit I got from A&R the kit looks great and works perfect but I am stuck. I am having trouble getting both sides of the nacelle to line up so I can get the bolts in. I have adjusted everything inside to make sure that there is nothing binding but the only bolt I can get to line up is the right side. ???
Anybody have any suggestions?

I worked on my 9 all day long to try and get everything finished up so all I have to do is slap my freshly rubbered wheels on and go for a spin tomorrow but now I am frustrated and just need a beer and my bed. If worse comes to worse I will snake a zip tie on there to hold me over till I can figure this out because as soon as the UPS man comes tomorrow I am getting my new Avons mounted and going for a ride.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
You know whats funny... I think there are TONS of guys on here who has/had the exact same problem. Our solution? use as much *#%#ing force as possible and get a friend to help get the screws in LOL :cus:

For some reason some people managed to get the HID and Stebel in there. I have no idea how that is even possible. Perhaps someone can pitc in and explain what is causing the light to be so difficult to get back in? I as well checked to make sure there was space and everything was clear but still had trouble getting it back on

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just didn't want to break anything, I did push pretty hard but can't push to hard since my 9 is on a jack (everything was torn apart for LEDs, and wheels/tires) I guess I will get a buddy to help me and try to push harder once the bike is off the jack.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
JD, Start the left side first and then push in the right side hard and it will line up, then start the right screw and it should be fine then. Do not know why but doing the left side first is the only way I can get mine on when removed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem and ended up taking the time to get all the wiring, old and new, out of the way of the back of the headlight. I was pretty certain that the headlight was unable to rest squarely in the frame due to interference from the added wires.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
I've had mine off literally dozens of times, and sometimes it's still a PITA to get back on. I have the Stebel mounted up there too. Last weekend I installed one of the Rivco signal relocators and I had it on and off at least 4 times.

One thing I did that helps is watch where the wires are routed. I put my ballast and ignitor on top of the headlight, right up in front. The ballast is stuck to the top of the headlight with double faced tape and the ignitor is stuck to the ballast. I run the wires from that outside the two arms that the bolts have to go through. There are 3 pins with rubber bushings that go through holes in the headlight back frame (the metal wire rack the nacelle bolts to), so zip tie the wires in that area to keep them away from the holes and away from anything the headlight comes close to.

Now when you put the nacelle back on, watch inside as much as you can to make sure the wires aren't blocking any of the holes. Get one side on and thread the bolt in a few threads, but not tight. Go to the other side and force the nacelle back until the holes line up, then start that bolt in. Notice the bolt doesn't go straight in, it angles a little either to the front or rear, I don't recall which. You can look at the nut on the metal frame to see which way it is, but it won't go in if the angle isn't right.

Once you figure out how much to thread in the first bolt and get the angles right, and everything is out of the way, it's not that hard.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
JD-
sorry i don't have a magical solution to your situation. but if it is any help, i always started with the left side first also, since it seems that side lines up more easily than the other.

hope you get it straightend out tomorrow. :bigthumbsup:

post pics when your done. can't wait to see the led's. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
JD, call my cell, I have installed many HID kits on members bikes. There are a couple of tricks. PM sent

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've had mine off literally dozens of times, and sometimes it's still a PITA to get back on. I have the Stebel mounted up there too. Last weekend I installed one of the Rivco signal relocators and I had it on and off at least 4 times.

One thing I did that helps is watch where the wires are routed. I put my ballast and ignitor on top of the headlight, right up in front. The ballast is stuck to the top of the headlight with double faced tape and the ignitor is stuck to the ballast. I run the wires from that outside the two arms that the bolts have to go through. There are 3 pins with rubber bushings that go through holes in the headlight back frame (the metal wire rack the nacelle bolts to), so zip tie the wires in that area to keep them away from the holes and away from anything the headlight comes close to.

Now when you put the nacelle back on, watch inside as much as you can to make sure the wires aren't blocking any of the holes. Get one side on and thread the bolt in a few threads, but not tight. Go to the other side and force the nacelle back until the holes line up, then start that bolt in. Notice the bolt doesn't go straight in, it angles a little either to the front or rear, I don't recall which. You can look at the nut on the metal frame to see which way it is, but it won't go in if the angle isn't right.

Once you figure out how much to thread in the first bolt and get the angles right, and everything is out of the way, it's not that hard.
Mike, how do you like the turn signal relocater? I have had mine over a year and really like it.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the quick replies. Ryan I will call if I can't get it put together after a couple tries. Zoom and JGlass, I will definently try the left side first and see if that makes any difference.

Windycity, there isn't a whole bunch of difference, I installed 6 1 foot strips. 2 white ones in each air cleaner, and 2 blue in the headlight bucket. But I will post some pics when I get everything put back together, I think everyone will I agree that I changed "a couple" things.

·
Registered
242 Posts
2 in white ones each air cleaner

:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::joke:

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
Thanks for all the quick replies. Ryan I will call if I can't get it put together after a couple tries. Zoom and JGlass, I will definently try the left side first and see if that makes any difference.

Windycity, there isn't a whole bunch of difference, I installed 6 1 foot strips. 2 in white ones each air cleaner, and 2 blue in the headlight bucket. But I will post some pics when I get everything put back together, I think everyone will I agree that I changed "a couple" things.
OK and :congrats: on 1600 posts JD. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
HID Install

I followed the same procedure as JGLASS did. I have a friend of mine with me as I installed it and it went just fine. I used the "XENON" HID/ballast and I love the look of the light. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
that mother :edit: stupid piece of :edit::edit: i hate that :edit: nacelle. you have to just push the :edit: out of it while tiring to screw the other side in. everytime i take that dam thing off its a :edit:n battle to get it back on.

good luck sir and push hard......

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
Mike, how do you like the turn signal relocater? I have had mine over a year and really like it.
I love it John, it really cleans up the looks of the front of the bike. :bigthumbsup:

The only reason I had it on and off so much was trying to decide what to do with the black bracket on each side from the original chrome mounts. I started to leave them sticking out, then bent them back in, bent them back in some more, and finally just cut them off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts