M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking for a HID kit for the 9 that will do both hi and low beam with only the one bulb. I've seen kits that do the 35w low and others that do the 55w high but none that do both with one ballast and one bulb. What are you guys running with? If i get the 55w hi beam kit does that mean I'm driving with my hi beam on all the time because the low beam has been omitted? Help

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Rynosback in 3....2.....1

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
Several places have them.

www.vvme.com has a full range of kits, look for the H4 bi-xenon kits to have both high and low beams.

The ddmtuning link above is also good, and look for the same thing.

The kits that use both HID for low and high beam do it by shifting the bulb in the housing. It has an electromagnet in the base that shifts the bulb back for high beam and forward for low beam. This changes the focus of the bulb.

The other dual beam types use a HID low beam and have a halogen bulb mounted right with the HID bulb for high beam.

And if you have a choice, get the slim ballast. vvme has this option for a couple bucks more. It's worth it for the easier mounting.

·
Radio Active Member
27,682 Posts
Hey guys I'm looking for a HID kit for the 9 that will do both hi and low beam with only the one bulb. I've seen kits that do the 35w low and others that do the 55w high but none that do both with one ballast and one bulb. What are you guys running with? If i get the 55w hi beam kit does that mean I'm driving with my hi beam on all the time because the low beam has been omitted? Help
I have a new experimental kit I just got. It is a dual HID bulb. But you need two ballasts, two igniters and it has 3 relays to make it work right. I will have it installed hopefully in the next week. Waiting for my headlight bucket back from the painter. I will take pics of the kit and then post up my findings with it. I guess you can say that I am like a R&D type of guy. Give me a couple of weeks riding with it. So I can make sure that it works right with out any issues.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Working on that. But it has two ballasts......2 of everything.
That thing looks bad ass. I bet its really really bright when both are on! I may have to have this.

·
Radio Active Member
27,682 Posts
That thing looks bad ass. I bet its really really bright when both are on! I may have to have this.
When it was tested in there shop he said it was CRAZY bright. I will also post some pictures up vs other HID systems. So you can see a real comparison.

·
Registered
462 Posts
NICE! this is exactly what I'm looking for. Spill the beans, what will it cost me?
Dude like the guy said above ..ddmtuning...55w singl bulb ..hi/ low ..bright as hell, easy install....$65 shipped....your choice ..all the kits mention as worked great for everyone....but I bought the above....Gl with your choice...

Hey Ryno, just curious y would u need a kit with 2 ballast ..when u can just buy a 55w kit ..any brighter I think u might get a ticket ..?? :dontknow: dont know just asking...that kit does look interesting. ...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Also did this one. A truly plug and play system. Too bad DLP doesn't sell them anymore.

Ryan, looks promising dude! Would like to see the end result. My only concern is the change from low to high beam... Are you leaving the low on all the time and then the high will come on or are you switch between the two? The switch between the two would probably take too long as the bulb needs time to heat up.

With double everything I expect it'll be close to $200. Either way, it will be cool to see the final product.

Nathan

·
Radio Active Member
27,682 Posts
Also did this one. A truly plug and play system. Too bad DLP doesn't sell them anymore.

Ryan, looks promising dude! Would like to see the end result. My only concern is the change from low to high beam... Are you leaving the low on all the time and then the high will come on or are you switch between the two? The switch between the two would probably take too long as the bulb needs time to heat up.

With double everything I expect it'll be close to $200. Either way, it will be cool to see the final product.

Nathan
It is wired up to have the low beam on all of the time. So when you hit the pass button or high beams both are lit. So you do not ever have a dead moment. That is why it has 3 relays. My part should be done on Friday from the painter and I am going to try and get it put in by Saturday. Do not qoute me but I think he is trying to keep this kit around $150-$160 shipped.

·
Radio Active Member
27,682 Posts

Nathan
The kit DLP sold changed the harness to get power from the battery. Before they stopped selling it.

I can tell you that A&R has 250 plus kits on 9's and for almost 3 years now.

KIT 1: Is a HID low beam and Halogen high beam. It is a plug and play kit, no cutting or splicing wires. It is all kept in the headlight bucket. I think the low beam is brighter because there is no shielding around the bulb, but the high beam SUCKS. But you may never need your high beam with this kit. This is your way to get a quality and reliable HID kit for not a lot of money.

KIT 2: Is a high and low beam HID kit. The high beam is activated by a magnet in the bulb assembly and shifts it to create the high beam. They have sold hundreds of these kits to M109 owners. It is more labor involved installing this kit as the power is supplied from the battery. For the rider that wants more then the basic kit with HID high beams.

NOTE: Kit 2 will fit an R2.

OPTIONS:
Your bulb choices are; 4300k (3100Lm), 6000k (2900Lm), 8000k (2600Lm), 10000k (2300Lm), 12000k (2100Lm).

Extra bulb $50

WARRANTY The kit comes with a 1 year warranty.

PRICES:
For KIT 1 it is $70 shipped to your door in the continental US.

For KIT 2 it is $110 shipped to your door in the continental US.

If you live in the state of Texas, there is a 8.25% sales tax fee.
If you are out of the US, Email Rob with an address and he can email you back a total qoute.

To get this price, email Rob at http://www.aandrmotorsport.com with what you want, your Pay Pal account/email address and state that the coupon code is RYNOSBACK.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts