M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to improve the visibility of the stock headlight and I've seen some HID light that are bright and will do the job. I contacted DLP to order one but was told that they don't carry any because they haven't found one that meets all of their requirements (reliability, warranty, safety, etc.). I've also heard that the HID lights can get so hot that they could melt the housing and even cause a fire.

Any suggestions on other options for a brighter headlight?:dontknow: Thanks

·
Registered
947 Posts
Search for A&R kit. Bunch of guys on here have it. Probably the best bang for the buck mod you can do. Looks cooler during the day and night, and you can see SO much better at night!

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I have been running the A&R light for more then 3 years now with no issues. I have a group buy price worked out with him. Let me know if you want to be hooked up.
They run cooler and pull less voltage then the stock bulb.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I'm looking to improve the visibility of the stock headlight and I've seen some HID light that are bright and will do the job. I contacted DLP to order one but was told that they don't carry any because they haven't found one that meets all of their requirements (reliability, warranty, safety, etc.). I've also heard that the HID lights can get so hot that they could melt the housing and even cause a fire.

Any suggestions on other options for a brighter headlight?:dontknow: Thanks
Now that is funny right there.

HIDs run cooler than your stock halogen.

I linked RUBZERK and several other people to the kit he got and have had no bad feedback from any of them.

The one ballast that failed, they shipped out a replacement the same day I told them of the failure with no charge even for the shipping.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Is this just a simple bulb swap, or more involved?
Almost as simple, but just a bit more.

You plug your ballast into where your stock bulb plugs in.

You plug the HID bulb into the other end of the ballast.

Zip-tie the ballast in a secure spot.

Enjoy.

The ballast is a transformer.

It takes your 12v 15amp power coming from the bike and converts it to much higher voltage at lower amps to run the HID bulb.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Is this just a simple bulb swap, or more involved?
No, a true HID has a ballast and some other components. Don't let any vendor tell you other wise.

A&R now makes two HID kits for this bike. These are not generic HID kits. These kits are made for the M109 specifically. Both kits come with digital ballasts.

KIT 1: Is a HID low beam and Halogen high beam. It is a plug and play kit, no cutting or splicing wires. It is all kept in the headlight bucket. I think the low beam is brighter because there is no shielding around the bulb, but the high beam SUCKS. But you may never need your high beam with this kit. This is your way to get a quality and reliable HID kit for not a lot of money.

KIT 2: Is a high and low beam HID kit. The high beam is activated by a magnet in the bulb assembly and shifts it to create the high beam. They have sold hundreds of these kits to M109 owners. It is more labor involved installing this kit as the power is supplied from the battery. For the rider that wants more then the basic kit with HID high beams.

NOTE: Kit 2 will fit an R2.

OPTIONS:
Your bulb choices are; 4300k (3100Lm), 6000k (2900Lm), 8000k (2600Lm), 10000k (2300Lm), 12000k (2100Lm).

Extra bulb $50

WARRANTY The kit comes with a 1 year warranty.

PRICES:
For KIT 1 it is $60 shipped to your door in the continental US.

For KIT 2 it is $100 shipped to your door in the continental US.

If you live in the state of Texas, there is a 8.25% sales tax fee.
If you are out of the US, Email Rob with an address and he can email you back a total qoute.

To get this price, email Rob at http://www.aandrmotorsport.com with what you want, your Pay Pal account/email address and state that the coupon code is RYNOSBACK.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
A&R now makes two HID kits for this bike. These are not generic HID kits. These kits are made for the M109 specifically. Both kits come with digital ballasts.
Really?

You mean they have pictures of the M109R on the box and in the instructions?

I am wondering what else they could do to make a kit specifically for the M109.

Kits are by bulb size.

Any H4 kit is plug and play (with the bi-xeon needing a line to the battery)

By the way, all HID ballasts are digital. There has never been an analog ballast. The slim in slim-digital is the important part.

Sure, you get what you pay for.

I'll pay for the parts.

If you want to pay more than double for them to print a box and instructions that say M109R on it, then go for it.

I'd rather not pay for the packaging, but that is just me.:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Really?

You mean they have pictures of the M109R on the box and in the instructions?

I am wondering what else they could do to make a kit specifically for the M109.

Kits are by bulb size.

Any H4 kit is plug and play (with the bi-xeon needing a line to the battery)

By the way, all HID ballasts are digital. There has never been an analog ballast. The slim in slim-digital is the important part.

Sure, you get what you pay for.

I'll pay for the parts.

If you want to pay more than double for them to print a box and instructions that say M109R on it, then go for it.

I'd rather not pay for the packaging, but that is just me.:dontknow:
Kit one is more of a generic one fits most but the wiring harness for kit 2 is measured for the 9. Will it work on other bikes, probably. But keep in mind that we have a long and large bike. I mean if you want to look at it that way, the Stebel harness I make is 9 specific, but I am sure that it will work on other bikes also. Maybe I should update the wording in that post. I mean I wrote it years ago. And there are pictures on his website on how to install kit 2, so does that make it 9 specific enough for you?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Kit one is more of a generic one fits most but the wiring harness for kit 2 is measured for the 9. Will it work on other bikes, probably. But keep in mind that we have a long and large bike. I mean if you want to look at it that way, the Stebel harness I make is 9 specific, but I am sure that it will work on other bikes also. Maybe I should update the wording in that post. I mean I wrote it years ago. And there are pictures on his website on how to install kit 2, so does that make it 9 specific enough for you?
The pictures or the length of the wire?

Every 'generic' bi-xeon kit I have seen had plenty of wire to reach the 9's battery, so nothing specific there.

If the pictures are what make it 9 specific, then ok, but let's call a spade a spade. I'd rather not pay for the pictures.

I just can not believe that you, a respected member here, routinely advocates spending twice what you should.

And for the replacement bulbs, they are even worse. Bulbs should cost you $10-$20 for 2.

A & R is selling the same stuff, but relying on under-informed consumers to make their profit. Not that there is anything wrong with that, God bless capitalism, but we share to inform here, not to help A&R profit from what people do not take the time to look up.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
The pictures or the length of the wire?

Every 'generic' bi-xeon kit I have seen had plenty of wire to reach the 9's battery, so nothing specific there.

If the pictures are what make it 9 specific, then ok, but let's call a spade a spade. I'd rather not pay for the pictures.

I just can not believe that you, a respected member here, routinely advocates spending twice what you should.

And for the replacement bulbs, they are even worse. Bulbs should cost you $10-$20 for 2.

A & R is selling the same stuff, but relying on under-informed consumers to make their profit. Not that there is anything wrong with that, God bless capitalism, but we share to inform here, not to help A&R profit from what people do not take the time to look up.
I am sure that the cost of the bulb has gone down, i will email him and get that up dated. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Save yourself some money & time and get a kit that posted the link for.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Save yourself some money & time and get a kit that posted the link for.
Plus, once you have done yours, you still have an extra ballast and bulb. Sell it to the next guy who needs an H4 bulb kit for $50 installed.

That is part of why I have done so many. I meet guys all over that get talking about my bike and eventually I put HID in their bike for $50.

Just to be clear, I have never charged anyone from this forum:D

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I sold my extra kit to a guy with a v-rod.

I can vouch for SR. besides, how much would you charge for 7minutes of labor?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've got this one and I LOVE it.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit
This is a generic H4 kit and does require some basic understanding of vehicle wiring to install but it's VERY bright and the price is right.
If you lack confidence in your electrical abilities then Rynosback's kit will come with step by step instructions and pre-cut wire runs to make installation as simple as it can be.

Real HID arc-lamps burn cooler, draw less current, and are 3-5x brighter than the equivalent halogen lamp. Whatever kit you choose a genuine HID kit is probably the best safety upgrade you can get. It makes you much more visible to other vehicles and when the sun goes down it really turns night into day!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The extra money for the HID kit from A&R is worth it since Rob will stand behind his products. I understand that I can buy a kit off of ebay for a better price but if that HID goes bad, is that vendor on ebay gonna stand behind it, or will they tell you to pound sand? I had a wiring problem with the kit that I bought from A&R around 2 months after I bought it. Rob told me to send it in and I had a new kit on my doorstep in less than a week. I will send as much business to Rob as I can since he has shown that he values customer satisfaction over making a quick buck.

Here are the results (6000K, both on low beam)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a DDM 35w hi/lo 10000k. Bright(high beam) is great also. Next time I'm going with a 6000 or 8000. 10000 is a little blue, but the light is incredible. I can spot all the little critters now on the side of the road. I had a friend help me install mine. We knew we are going to put in a horn later so he built me a wiring harness at that time to include the horn power. Also installed a power point in the light bucket to run my GPS or phone.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts