similar to that of an electrical fire.

If it caused permanent damage to the headlight
housing, how much is that to replace? And do you
think A&R will assist, financially? I'm really bummed
about this.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
:eek: damn that really sucks!! I have the same one and I am hoping that does not happen to me!!

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i am not positive, but i don't think any other members have experienced this problem. sorry to hear about your light. it wouldn't hurt to contact the guys over at A&R and see if they might offer a replacement to the HID kit. keep us posted on what you find out. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
you can remove just the lense.....there is a secret to it and it takes some guts to do it but it can be done.

but chances are the lense is toast.....

remove the headlight housing from the nacel...stick with me on this...preheat your oven to just under 300 degrees. make sure there are no loose rubber mounts on the housing. place the housing in the oven for no more than 4 mins....USE THE TIMER!!!

remove the housing from the oven (WITH OVEN MITTS) an use a flathead screwdriver to seperate the front of the housing from the rear. you can see the seam pretty easily.

there is silicone that keeps the pieces together and heating it up will loosen it enuf to seperate them. if you get the silicone on something then be sure it will stay there! especially when it cools.

once your done with the inspection of the lense and realize you will probably have to replace it (you will have to replace the whole housing) then reinstalling is just as easy as seperating.

first make sure you clean out the inside of the headlight and remove the finger prints from the reflector and back side of the lense.

oven just under 300 degrees and realign the pieces and place in the oven. 4 mins later remove from the oven and push the pieces back together (USING OVEN MITTS) until they are back in the original place and let cool.

*i am not responsible for any injuries from not using oven mitts*:doh:

and just for everyone wanting to do the HALO inside the headlight and cant figure out how....use this same process to get into the headlight.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I sure hope you figured this all out on the first Try. ROFL i would hate to think how many headlights you might have gone thur. 8)

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem, I saw you post it up on another HID thread. I hear from Rob that he has another bulb being sent to you. There are only one of two possibility as to why the bulb blew that I can think of:
1.Moisture in the headlight
2.If there was skin oil on the bulb ( I always tell people to wipe the bulb down with rubbing alcohol and the rubber boot also)

I hope that you get it resolved.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
You can separate it using a heat gun also. Remove it from the plastic housing. Just heat around the outside ring then gently pry it apart. when it is clean reheat the parts and push them back together.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,941 Posts
If you can't get it off or don't want to try, make a swab that will reach inside. I've cleaned the inside of car headlamp lenses like that. Take a coat hanger and make a hook on the end, then wrap a piece of cloth around the hook and bend the hook down to hold the cloth. Then you can reach through the opening in the rear and try to clean it with alcohol or Windex. You can shape the coat hanger to whatever shape is needed to reach inside. Just be careful to secure the cloth so you don't scratch it.

Good luck bro!

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
you can remove just the lense.....there is a secret to it and it takes some guts to do it but it can be done.

but chances are the lense is toast.....

remove the headlight housing from the nacel...stick with me on this...preheat your oven to just under 300 degrees. make sure there are no loose rubber mounts on the housing. place the housing in the oven for no more than 4 mins....USE THE TIMER!!!

remove the housing from the oven (WITH OVEN MITTS) an use a flathead screwdriver to seperate the front of the housing from the rear. you can see the seam pretty easily.

there is silicone that keeps the pieces together and heating it up will loosen it enuf to seperate them. if you get the silicone on something then be sure it will stay there! especially when it cools.

once your done with the inspection of the lense and realize you will probably have to replace it (you will have to replace the whole housing) then reinstalling is just as easy as seperating.

first make sure you clean out the inside of the headlight and remove the finger prints from the reflector and back side of the lense.

oven just under 300 degrees and realign the pieces and place in the oven. 4 mins later remove from the oven and push the pieces back together (USING OVEN MITTS) until they are back in the original place and let cool.

*i am not responsible for any injuries from not using oven mitts*:doh:

and just for everyone wanting to do the HALO inside the headlight and cant figure out how....use this same process to get into the headlight.:bigthumbsup:
that sounds like the same process i used to the "angel eyes" mod on my R1. i was sweating bullets too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, Rob sent me another bulb. The reflective surface of
the headlight housing is charred though, and it doesn't
look like I'll be able to clean it off without scratching it.

This is, in no way, a slight toward A&R, especially since
no one else has had this problem, I'm just bummed that
I'm gonna hafta replace the whole assembly due the
damage the bulb caused.

So, how much am I looking at to just replace the headlight
itself? And does anyone know of anyone with an extra one?

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Oneida has it for $144.99. But I think there is a read whole head light bucket for sale on eBay. Plus there are a couple of places that you might be able to pick up one used. I hope that you get it cleaned up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I'll try jn109r, and if he doesn't have one I'll
snatch one up from Oneida. By the way here a couple pics:

You can see the charred part at the top, and the whole lens is all
fogged up with the gas from the bulb.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It looks like the lense is ok but the reflector is toast....

Good luck with gettin your new one and getting back on the road!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts