M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any chance you enterprising gentlemen can find someone out there that can duplicate the Aussie109 sissy bar there are a lot of us out here that want it but with the shipping down under it is just way to expensive. Check it out and see what you guys can dig up I think it is a winner..Thx

G

·
lostrider said:
Any chance you enterprising gentlemen can find someone out there that can duplicate the Aussie109 sissy bar there are a lot of us out here that want it but with the shipping down under it is just way to expensive. Check it out and see what you guys can dig up I think it is a winner..Thx
I think someone better check copywrites and patents before we get in to "Copying" anything. JMHO. Excuse me "Duplicating"

G

·
I saw the pic on the tech board and he is having that made by a company in Aussie. I had assumed that you meant it was kind of a one off deal he did.

The real problem with making those is that it involves two major trade groups. One person to make the metal and then another person to make the vinyl backrest. I will check with my friend at Utopia Products and see if he is interested in making his version. You can check out his stuff at www.utpr.com

G

·
HalGreenlee said:
I saw the pic on the tech board and he is having that made by a company in Aussie. I had assumed that you meant it was kind of a one off deal he did.

The real problem with making those is that it involves two major trade groups. One person to make the metal and then another person to make the vinyl backrest. I will check with my friend at Utopia Products and see if he is interested in making his version. You can check out his stuff at www.utpr.com
I already spoke to Bob at Utopia and he told me that he is not interested in making a "Passenger" backrest because of the liabilities involved.

G

·
ppridgen1 said:
i think a copyright is no problem ..they butcherd the re-enforcement on the seat frame to install it . I made sure not to mess with the sructural part when i modded mine :bigthumbsup:
COPYRIGHT vs. TRADEMARK vs. PATENT

Some people confuse patents, copyrights, and trademarks. Although there may be some similarities among these kinds of intellectual property protection, they are different and serve different purposes.

What Is a Copyright?

Copyright is a form of protection provided to the authors of "original works of authorship" including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works, both published and unpublished. The 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to reproduce the copyrighted work, to prepare derivative works, to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work, to perform the copyrighted work publicly, or to display the copyrighted work publicly.

The copyright protects the form of expression rather than the subject matter of the writing. For example, a description of a machine could be copyrighted, but this would only prevent others from copying the description; it would not prevent others from writing a description of their own or from making and using the machine. Copyrights are registered by the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress.

What Is a Trademark or Servicemark?

A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device which is used in trade with goods to indicate the source of the goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others. A servicemark is the same as a trademark except that it identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a product. The terms "trademark" and "mark" are commonly used to refer to both trademarks and servicemarks.

Trademark rights may be used to prevent others from using a confusingly similar mark, but not to prevent others from making the same goods or from selling the same goods or services under a clearly different mark. Trademarks which are used in interstate or foreign commerce may be registered with the Patent and Trademark Office. The registration procedure for trademarks and general information concerning trademarks is described in a separate pamphlet entitled "Basic Facts about Trademarks".

What Is a Patent?

A patent for an invention is the grant of a property right to the inventor, issued by the Patent and Trademark Office. The term of a new patent is 20 years from the date on which the application for the patent was filed in the United States or, in special cases, from the date an earlier related application was filed, subject to the payment of maintenance fees. US patent grants are effective only within the US, US territories, and US possessions.

The right conferred by the patent grant is, in the language of the statute and of the grant itself, "the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling" the invention in the United States or "importing" the invention into the United States. What is granted is not the right to make, use, offer for sale, sell or import, but the right to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, selling or importing the invention.

(Excerpted from General Information Concerning Patents, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hal for looking into it. I don't think as you have stated that tere would be any issues with patent violations, but as I am starting to see on this board there appears to people who just surf topics and then bash the the person asking a question. I was simply asking if there was someone who could come up with something like the sissy bar Aussie 109 has because it looks to be a real user friendly sissy bar that can come on and off with the pillon(which is what I and I'm sure some others on this board are looking for) so if the word duplicate bothers some people then I will say can we come up with a sissy bar that is indepedent of the fender stuts and mounts to the pillon, or better yet if the word bothers some that much how about don't read the post and if you can't help yourself and you must bash then at least know what you are talking about.

G

·
lostrider said:
Thanks Hal for looking into it. I don't think as you have stated that tere would be any issues with patent violations, but as I am starting to see on this board there appears to people who just surf topics and then bash the the person asking a question. I was simply asking if there was someone who could come up with something like the sissy bar Aussie 109 has because it looks to be a real user friendly sissy bar that can come on and off with the pillon(which is what I and I'm sure some others on this board are looking for) so if the word duplicate bothers some people then I will say can we come up with a sissy bar that is indepedent of the fender stuts and mounts to the pillon, or better yet if the word bothers some that much how about don't read the post and if you can't help yourself and you must bash then at least know what you are talking about.
First of all, If you are talking about Moi, I was not just surfing a topic and "Bashing". I have one of those backrest on its way back from Australia as we speak (It's in San Fran right now). The guys at MetCruze are great and helped me thru the process of shipping International (Which I'd never done before). I'm simply saying that No one in business wants their ideas "Duplicated" so that someone else can make the money from their Idea. If my philosphy bothers you I really couldn't care less.

Grant

G

·
Just so we are clear - - the way that you protect your "idea" is with a patent. Thats why virtually ever "new" product goes thru the patent process. The tough call for the designer is that he has to decide if his product is "new" and "unique" and would be granted a patent and if the sales volume of the product will justify the expense of the patent attorney and patent fees which can easily cost $10,000 for a simple product.

In the case of the backrest the designer would have to prove to the patent office that there is something "new" and "unique" about his product.

If he decides to do it I wish him luck as our patent pending application is going on two years now.

G

·
HalGreenlee said:
Just so we are clear - - the way that you protect your "idea" is with a patent. Thats why virtually ever "new" product goes thru the patent process.  The tough call for the designer is that he has to decide if his product is "new" and "unique" and would be granted a patent and if the sales volume of the product will justify the expense of the patent attorney and patent fees which can easily cost $10,000 for a simple product.

In the case of the backrest the designer would have to prove to the patent office that there is something "new" and "unique" about his product.

If he decides to do it I wish him luck as our patent pending application is going on two years now.
I've already spoken to them and they (MetCruze) are not going to persue an International Patent. It would be way too cost prohibitive. I guess I am not articulating my opinion clearly. I am simply saying that I yes "I" personally could not look at someone elses idea and monopolize on it and then sleep, without some sort of pill, peacefully the next night. To Hell with legalities, I'm talking about business morals. IMHO

Grant

G

·
gradona said:
I've already spoken to them and they (MetCruze) are not going to persue an International Patent. It would be way too cost prohibitive. I guess I am not articulating my opinion clearly. I am simply saying that I yes "I" personally could not look at someone elses idea and monopolize on it and then sleep, without some sort of pill, peacefully the next night. To Hell with legalities, I'm talking about business morals. IMHO

Grant
I think that you are implying that there should be some universal protection for someone who has an idea. Its a nice thought but when you start researching patents and comparing products that are already patented you quickly realize that most everything has been done at least a couple of times and has patents for it.

Did you notice the bolt and washer that Lamont made for his pipes? There was a guy making those for the VTX guys and he got a cease and desist order from a guy who had gotten a patent on the application of the bolt and washer as a noise reduction device. And that application has been around since the late 1940's on guys that built hot rod cars. But this guy patented it and if you want to make them and sell them you have to deal with him. He sells his bolt and washer setup for about $200.00. Thats why Lamont isn't making and selling them.

G

·
HalGreenlee said:
I think that you are implying that there should be some universal protection for someone who has an idea. Its a nice thought but when you start researching patents and comparing products that are already patented you quickly realize that most everything has been done at least a couple of times and has patents for it.

Did you notice the bolt and washer that Lamont made for his pipes? There was a guy making those for the VTX guys and he got a cease and desist order from a guy who had gotten a patent on the application of the bolt and washer as a noise reduction device. And that application has been around since the late 1940's on guys that built hot rod cars. But this guy patented it and if you want to make them and sell them you have to deal with him. He sells his bolt and washer setup for about $200.00. Thats why Lamont isn't making and selling them.
Nope, What I'm saying is that anyone can take advantage of someone else as long as they have the "Law" on their side but should they?????????????

Grant

G

·
gradona said:
Nope, What I'm saying is that anyone can take advantage of someone else as long as they have the "Law" on their side but should they?????????????

Grant
The law is what creates order. Failure to have the laws and follow them would create chaos on every level. Yes the little guy gets squashed- - - sometimes. But sometimes you have to walk to the edge of the cliff and jump- - - - - you don't always fall straight down. Someone may hand you a parachute along the way down.

G

·
HalGreenlee said:
The law is what creates order. Failure to have the laws and follow them would create chaos on every level. Yes the little guy gets squashed- - - sometimes. But sometimes you have to walk to the edge of the cliff and jump- - - - - you don't always fall straight down. Someone may hand you a parachute along the way down.
Let's say we agree to disagree :joke:. I believe Morals are what create laws which create order. You missed the First, and most important, step.

Grant

G

·
gradona said:
Let's say we agree to disagree :joke:. I believe Morals are what create laws which create order. You missed the First, and most important, step.

Grant
Seems like you are looking for a utopian society that doesn't exist except in fairytales.

I am sure the people in the Jones Colony thought they were moral and I think that Dr. Kervorkian thinks he is moral. The problem in a society is that morals differ from person to person or ethnic group to ethnic group. Some societies even think its okay to kill newborn baby girls.

Laws are much more absolute than morals. And many morals are put into law.

So I guess we do disagree.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get over yourself and good luck in your perfect world. I'm sure there everyone will agree with your opinion since that is what you seem to be looking for anyway. But then again I think getting everyone to agree with you should be no problem in that world because you will be by yourself. Lighten up

G

·
lostrider said:
Get over yourself and good luck in your perfect world. I'm sure there everyone will agree with your opinion since that is what you seem to be looking for anyway. But then again I think getting everyone to agree with you should be no problem in that world because you will be by yourself. Lighten up
I'm not exactly sure what part of my posts you took so personally but believe me I'm not here to make enemys. I simply stated my point of view with my personal philosphy. You will have to excuse my "Kissin" comment but I just call em as I see em. I have nothing against you, Hell I don't even know you. So if you took my comments personally, I apologize. I meant no harm but I still feel the way I feel. Sorry

Grant

P.S. Let's let this thread die a peaceful death. It's gettin way too depressing ;).

P.S.S. I got my seat back from MetCruze today and it turned out great :bigthumbsup:. Thanks Garry.

·
Registered
686 Posts
gradona said:
P.S. Let's let this thread die a peaceful death. It's gettin way too depressing ;).

P.S.S. I got my seat back from MetCruze today and it turned out great :bigthumbsup:. Thanks Garry.
A couple of important questions before this thread dies (not related to the legalities); How much did it cost you to have the seat done and shipped here to the states? Did you have to send them your seat first? How long did it take total?

G

·
rideutah said:
A couple of important questions before this thread dies (not related to the legalities); How much did it cost you to have the seat done and shipped here to the states? Did you have to send them your seat first? How long did it take total?
It was pricey. With shipping both ways it was around $350. The seat itself worked out to be around $215. I bought an extra seat to send so that added to my price.

Yes, you do have to send your seat. Total turnaround time was about 10 days. 3 to 4 travel days both ways and 1 or 2 days in Australia. I was surprised at how quick they got it done :bigthumbsup:.

Grant

1 - 19 of 19 Posts