M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats happening fellas? hey in the near future im going to be buying the wife her 1st motorcycle, she has never ridden before and will be going to a motorcycle training course. I would like some opinions on what bikes do you guys think would be good for a beginner? My thought is to get her something big enuff to ride for awhile, i know she likes the wide tire look but putting her on a m109 would be waaaaaaaay too much. Ive thought about the m50 or m90 not saying the m90 is a beginner bike but i know in the future i could put a 240 on for her. What u guys think??? Any help would be appreciated........... Laters

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think the size of the back tire would be the absolute least of my concerns.

If you are thinking V twin, then 750-800cc is usually a fairly good starting point as long as she is a fairly confidant type person, and not real tiny. Hard to tell how new riders are going to react until they get out on the highway on their own for the first time. I'd hate to put a newbie on a brand new bike for the first time, tho I know many have done it. She may find she would rather ride behind you, then you are stuck with a brand new bike, which may or may not be a bad thing.:dontknow:

If you are thinking inline 4 or something like that, then I would start quite a bit smaller.

When you get out of the MSF course, you don't know it all contrary to popular belief. You are qualified to ride around in a parking lot at 25 mph. The learning is just beginning at that point, and there is a lot to learn.

The Vstars are nice little bikes for a first bike for a women. 650cc, low seat, big enough to ride with a group as long as you don't have to be in the front. You can pick up used Honda Shadow 750s for a song and a dance any day of the week.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yep....Honda Shadow Spirit 750 is one of the best bikes to start on. I had one for 2 years and it was a great bike. Very forgiving and user friendly but still has enough power to keep up on the highway and is reasonably comfortable for longer rides. They look pretty cool too. Have her test ride it then pick up a used one with low miles for around $4k

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Honda Shadow Spirit 750 or HD 883 Sportster

Yep....Honda Shadow Spirit 750 is one of the best bikes to start on. I had one for 2 years and it was a great bike. Very forgiving and user friendly but still has enough power to keep up on the highway and is reasonably comfortable for longer rides. They look pretty cool too. Have her test ride it then pick up a used one with low miles for around $4k
I agree with the Honda Shadow 750. It is a very good, reliable, comfortable, and forgiving bike. I have ridden them, but never owned one. You can also get them at a very low cost, and if she likes the fat rear tire look you can mod the rear with a fat tire kit including rear fender to make it into a solo seat custom look. They look really sharp like that. Perhaps you might want to consider an HD 883 Sportster as well. It will probably cost a bit more, but I know some female riders who say they love the bike. It gives them all the power they need, and they say it is very comfortable...almost as if the bike was made with the female rider in mind. You can also put a custom rear fat tire kit on it I am sure. Either way, if it were me, I wouldn't put my wife on anything too heavy or too powerful, knowing that she doesn't have much riding experience. In fact, my wife asked me about her getting a motorcycle, and I flat out said no, because I know how dangerous it is when I am riding, and I have over 30 years of riding experience. I just feel more confident and at peace with her on the back of one of my bikes rather than operating one herself.

Good Luck! I hope you find what you are looking for, and if your wife is going to ride that you both enjoy some fun, memorable, and safe rides together.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Marauder VZ 1600 or a Meanstreak

Nice smooth bikes that you can pick up used at a great price!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Whats happening fellas? hey in the near future im going to be buying the wife her 1st motorcycle, she has never ridden before and will be going to a motorcycle training course. I would like some opinions on what bikes do you guys think would be good for a beginner? My thought is to get her something big enuff to ride for awhile, i know she likes the wide tire look but putting her on a m109 would be waaaaaaaay too much. Ive thought about the m50 or m90 not saying the m90 is a beginner bike but i know in the future i could put a 240 on for her. What u guys think??? Any help would be appreciated........... Laters
Honda Shadow 750 or Yamaha V-Star 650. Cheap bikes you can find on craigslist.
You can always sell them fast when she is ready for the upgrade.
I had two Shadows and now owned a V-star 650 for a project and have no problems with the bike.
Good luck on your mission!
Take care!

·
Registered
838 Posts
:agree:I was in the same boat as you. I kept my C-50 when I got my 9. Wanted the g/f to learn how to ride. She putted on the 50 but mentioned that it was too bulky and wide for her. Went to a bike shop one day and she sat on the Honda Shadow Spirit 750. It fit her well. She was comfortible. The bikes light. Able to cruise at 70 75 MPH.

(anyone wanting to buy an 09 Shadow Spirit?):nojoke:
Worry about the 240 when she's able to control a bike. The wider the rear the more it effects how it turns.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Don't just get something small because it is cheap. Let her ride a bunch of different bikes and then she can decide. Anything around 700-900 will do fine. The mean streak is a cool looking bike that can be customized for her taste.My wife has a C-50, and loves it. Very easy to ride, good power, easy to mod. I disagree with the sportster. They are too heavy with a high center of gravity.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think the size of the back tire would be the absolute least of my concerns.

If you are thinking V twin, then 750-800cc is usually a fairly good starting point as long as she is a fairly confidant type person, and not real tiny. Hard to tell how new riders are going to react until they get out on the highway on their own for the first time. I'd hate to put a newbie on a brand new bike for the first time, tho I know many have done it. She may find she would rather ride behind you, then you are stuck with a brand new bike, which may or may not be a bad thing.:dontknow:

If you are thinking inline 4 or something like that, then I would start quite a bit smaller.

When you get out of the MSF course, you don't know it all contrary to popular belief. You are qualified to ride around in a parking lot at 25 mph. The learning is just beginning at that point, and there is a lot to learn.

The Vstars are nice little bikes for a first bike for a women. 650cc, low seat, big enough to ride with a group as long as you don't have to be in the front. You can pick up used Honda Shadow 750s for a song and a dance any day of the week.
I agree,
My wife took the course and I got her the Vstar 650, comparable in weight to the 250 they train on but with a little more power. Very dependable and durable little bikes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would recommend a Honda Shadow 750, if she wants bigger then get her the 1100 or VTX 1300. I've owned all three and all were terrific bikes.:joke:

·
Registered
310 Posts
i think it depends on her size if shes short and petite i say a suzuki s40, but if shes not short and average build i say a suzuki c50...

·
Registered
19 Posts
My g/f is 5'5" and 117 lbs. She has an M50 and loves it. Not too heavy, plenty of punch, and low to the ground. The MSF course is a very good investment. Is this one where the bikes are provided? If riding is not for her, it's better to find out b4 you buy a bike. Good luck and ride safe.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Get her a V Star, they are great bikes. There is no way in hell i would buy a suzuki over the V Star. I even like it better then the Honda Shadow and i like Honda's alot. The V Star is one of the best bikes out there, especially for the money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts