M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a nice day in Chi-town and decided to take the 109 to work as I get there I smell buring oil yep, oil from the left aircleaner. Its funny cuz I checked my oil level last week end and its perfect. I dropped it off at the dealer thank god its close we will see..... :realmad:

·
Registered
42 Posts
It does make a difference if it is upright or on sidestand. You must keep it upright 15mins running. Keep it upright 3mins. off. Then check your level upright. Makes a huge difference on the stick if on sidestand at all.

Good Luck
Doc

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Big Suzi said:
Maybe something as simple as crankcase ventilation. Good luck!

Doc
+1
I think it has to do with the amount of vacuum the bike creates with those giant pistons and high compression. I believe it is sucking the oil right up there.
I don't think anyone has ever had it after they put on an upgraded intake.

Sledzep

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ran mine overfilled by about a pint for 2000 miles until I read the thread on how to check it properly, and I never saw any oil. Been running 20-50 Amsoil since 300 mile mark. 3500 miles on it and not even a hiccup! (Hope I didn't just shoot myself.) Maybe a defective pcv system on some or a kinked hose. Who knows?

Doc

·
Registered
532 Posts
After I changed mine it did the same thing. And I have an upgraded intake. It only happens when I ride kinda hard, but that's 90% of the time. I guess I'm going to suck a little oil out and ride it for awhile before I check the level this time.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
eire1965 said:
After I changed mine it did the same thing. And I have an upgraded intake. It only happens when I ride kinda hard, but that's 90% of the time. I guess I'm going to suck a little oil out and ride it for awhile before I check the level this time.
Do you still have the smaller vacuum?? hose going into the back of your new filter setup? or is it separate with its own little filter?
Mine is separate and I never experienced it again.

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I had that problem when I first got the bike! :verymad: Had it serviced and levels checked several times after that, no problems since. :bigthumbsup: Have the Big Air kit from our friends above and still not burping oil. These 109's are a little touchy about the oil level, just remember when filling it up, 3.5-3.6 qts and ride the devil out of it.....

Don

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The best thing to do is After you come in from a ride! Check the oil,The Suzuki man,the one the dealer calls said this also , he said the time it takes for you to take your gear off is plenty of time for the oil to settle! I usually take my jacket and helmet off while still holding the bike off the side stand and i have had no problem with checking the oil like this.
When i check my oil i have it about 1/8 from full i run the Big Air and PC III and have had Zero problems since i got the dealer to take the over fill out!Pricks!!! Later Silentrider

·
Registered
532 Posts
sledzep01 said:
Do you still have the smaller vacuum?? hose going into the back of your new filter setup? or is it separate with its own little filter?
Mine is separate and I never experienced it again.

Sledzep
Yes, I still have the crankcase vent hose going into the back of the filter. I can see however, how putting on a separate filter would help trap any oil mist though. I may be getting ready to do the PAIR valve mod though, so that will route my crankcase vent through the exhaust.

But, from what I've been reading on here about riding the bike and then checking the oil level, I'm thinking that I probably didn't get an accurate reading by going by the book and I probably overfilled it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got the bike back yesterday and took an extended lunch to take advantage of the warmer weather here in chicago. Low and behold its still leaking oil from the left aircleaner. Oil level is good hoses are good and not kinked, they want me to bring the bike back in but the weather just sucks. Hell at least I got my 600 service done........

·
Registered
696 Posts
I owe everyone an apologize.... cause I've been sandbagging on this issue for a bit..... I've got about 3400 miles on the bike... i usually ride it AT speed...hard but not too HARD getting up to it..... so i won't say that i abuse it.... back about the time of the JSD scuttle butt... i had "oil from the left cleaner"..... my oil level was PERFECT....i took it in for a pit stop.. my tech at the dealer is GREAT... we have each other cell #'s and when i called .. he said that he'd look at it w/o an appointment.... during his inspection.. he found a couple of hoses loose or off... don't ask me which ones.. anyway he cleaned out the airbox under the tank.. attached the hose and asked me to keep a look out... anyway... after about 300 miles... problem came back only worse.... but i am VERY BIZZY with work right now.... and i didn't have much time to take it in... so i lived with it till my recent service.... he checked out... didn't see loose hoses... but did clean everything out again... changed my filter... and wanted me to ride it for some more miles..... he put 50 on it while he had it.... I've been on it for about 200+... no leak at this time.... i really haven't ridden it like i usually do.. cause some of you may recall...see other thread about front seals leaking..... i have a concern about running too fast if the fork seal looses it... so I've been koolin it... but this is another reason i have been anxious to get the forks fixed... this issue may prove to be another area of concern for the 109... mjm

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
My opinion. There's no completely reliable way to check the oil on this bike by the dipstick. When people fill their bikes based on filling it to a mark on the stick, it's always screwed up. One guy says fine checking the stick one way and another says it doesn't work. Just have the bike nice and hot. Drain all the oil out, replace the filter, and put in the ml standard the manual calls for back in. Do it that way and nothing ever comes out of the air filter. I'm also confident the bike has the right amount of oil in it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
jazzman said:
My opinion. There's no completely reliable way to check the oil on this bike by the dipstick. When people fill their bikes based on filling it to a mark on the stick, it's always screwed up. One guy says fine checking the stick one way and another says it doesn't work. Just have the bike nice and hot. Drain all the oil out, replace the filter, and put in the ml standard the manual calls for back in. Do it that way and nothing ever comes out of the air filter. I'm also confident the bike has the right amount of oil in it.
i'm ok with that... but this does not explain loose hoses or suspect PCV's and such...mjm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts