M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those that have a Yamaha R1...

I have a guy who wants to trade me a 2002 R1 for one of my boats. I went to the R1 forum and they have a sticky about how this bike should never be someone's first bike. They make it sound really scary...
Personally i think the M109R should be a really scary bike for a new rider. I tell people it is my first bike just cause it is fun to see their reaction.
I started out riding when i was 8 on a Honda Mini Trail 50. (that was 30 years and probably 8 bikes ago)Man i miss that bike. It was street legal and if i still had it i could strap it to the inside of my suburban and use it as a spare...
I have put about 35,000 miles on my 109 so far and it is the best kick in the pants i have ever had. I describe it to people that it is like riding a polar bear. Super powerful, kinda mean, and just may turn around and kill you at any moment.
So this R1, how scary is it? compare it to our bikes...

Interesting side note: if i add it to my insurance my premiums go up $36 per year. If i add it and my DR650 my premiums drop like $7.00 per month!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
There is NO comparison to our bikes. I owned a liter bike, before I bought my 9. It is wicked fast. I also agree with their sticky, it really should not be someone's first bike. JMHO

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no question about it being a first bike. I think everyone should be so lucky as to have started out on a 50 on old abandoned logginf roads like i did.
But my question is how tame will I find this bike? he says it has been modded to put out 165 at the rear wheel.

Lucky for me i went from a 50 to 70 to 90 to 125 to 250 to 500 to 650 to 1000 to this monster i ride daily now...

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you can respect the right hand twist you will be fine.. You have to ask yourself if you have enough personal control over the need for speed.

On a side note,, the new 2010 R1s are much quicker than the previous years.. almost as much difference as there is between an older version R1 and the M109. All verfied last weekend between 3 R1s and a M109.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I have no question about it being a first bike. I think everyone should be so lucky as to have started out on a 50 on old abandoned logginf roads like i did.
But my question is how tame will I find this bike? he says it has been modded to put out 165 at the rear wheel.

Lucky for me i went from a 50 to 70 to 90 to 125 to 250 to 500 to 650 to 1000 to this monster i ride daily now...
tame? surely you have never been on a R1.

the R1 will eat the 109 alive. if you have never driven a sportbike, let alone a literbike, you will be in for a surprise. the 109 might have slightly more torque off the line, but the top end speed (and the quickness in which it reaches it) will astonish you.
there is no comparison between a literbike like the R1 to a 109.
even though the model of R1 you are talking about is a older model it is still plenty of bike for anyone.

if you trade him for the R1 you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
R1, R6, GSXR, ZX, none of these bikes are beginner bikes, the Yamaha's have a very aggressive front end design and turn in VERY quick, all have lots of power and very sensitive throttles.

·
Banned
408 Posts
Stock 0 to 60 mph time for my B king is 2.5 seconds, with the mods I have I'm guessing it's now 2.3 seconds. Can I do those times? NOPE. But I'll tell you what, you HAVE TO respect the brute power of a BIG liter sportbike. If you don't find yourself in serious trouble. These bikes can easily break the rear tire loose at 35 mph & hit 80 mph in 1st gear. I had a incident last year with my king that nearly got me killed because I nailed the throttle at 30 mph and the tire broke loose, the bike fishtailed all over the road & nearly got tossed into a oncoming SUV. It was MY FAULT completely & lesson learned is not to screw around. No other bike I've owned in my life has made me nervous getting on it, but this bike does & that makes me take it's performance capabilities seriously.

·
Registered
45 Posts
r1

i had a 9 and now have a zx14 (semi-close comparasion to an r1) and just the other day was in 2nd gear and kind of forgot i was not on the 9 anymore and up came the front wheel. the r1 and the 14 both can do 105 mph in 1st gear. it is a huge difference if you plan on twisting the throttle.

·
Registered
408 Posts
To those that have a Yamaha R1...

I have a guy who wants to trade me a 2002 R1 for one of my boats. I went to the R1 forum and they have a sticky about how this bike should never be someone's first bike. They make it sound really scary...
Personally i think the M109R should be a really scary bike for a new rider. I tell people it is my first bike just cause it is fun to see their reaction.
I started out riding when i was 8 on a Honda Mini Trail 50. (that was 30 years and probably 8 bikes ago)Man i miss that bike. It was street legal and if i still had it i could strap it to the inside of my suburban and use it as a spare...
I have put about 35,000 miles on my 109 so far and it is the best kick in the pants i have ever had. I describe it to people that it is like riding a polar bear. Super powerful, kinda mean, and just may turn around and kill you at any moment.
So this R1, how scary is it? compare it to our bikes...

Interesting side note: if i add it to my insurance my premiums go up $36 per year. If i add it and my DR650 my premiums drop like $7.00 per month!
my first bike was a 2002 ninja zx-12r and the only bike that could catch it is the 'busa, when i took delivery of the bike i didn't have my motorcycle licence yet so my friend went and picked up, he didn't know what i bought until we got to the dealer, that's when he cussed me out something awfull!!! he took the bike and kept it for a couple of days until he could modify it so i wouldnt kill myself by putting a screw in the throtle linkage next to the engine, the results was the bike did not have enough guts to make the wheel get off the ground but could still do low 12's on the strip, my advice to you, if you take that bike do the same! an R1 is not as fast as a zx-12r or a 'busa but very close, those bikes demands a level of respect! it will not pardon a mistake. so get used to the bike before opening her up! another pointer would be that those bikes usually get the ever living ***** kicked out of them so have it checked before trading. heve fun and ride safe! :D

G

·
Sounds like you've been riding bikes long enough to know what to do..(hopefully) and how to ride a bike...it's never good to just nail the throttle on a bike you're "unsure of" anyways....squidly behavior always catches up to ya....

any bike over 600cc's should not be considered for a "starter bike" IMHO

however there are plenty that will, and plenty that do...

my experiance like yours started off on smaller bikes and then just got bigger as my skill level increased...Now there's nothing I can't ride and enjoy it instead of fearing what's under me

If you feel it's a good trade go for it...ride it and if it's not for you, sell it...I think selling a sportsbike will be a hell of a lot easier than a boat anyday so win win right?! If I could afford two bikes I'd no doubt have a sportbike in the mix

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,941 Posts
With the amount of experience you have on bikes, you know what to do and what not to do. You know it's got more power than you can use in the lower gears so you also know to not whack it wide open. And you're far from being a first bike person. If you like it and want it, go for it.

I don't think there are very many bikes out there that anyone with a little experience can't ride as long as they are careful with them. It's the folks with no experience that gets on a bike with way too much power for them, and not knowing it, that get hurt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The guys above are right...I had a Honda CBR up until a year ago. One of the best bikes I've ever had, a piece of art and one of the smoothest, easiest bikes to ride!!!
Unless you snap that wrist!
If you are upright, you will think you have just entered a star trek movie - everything passing by at warp speed - fantastic!
If you are leaning over, the rear will spin out (in ANY gear) and you'll end up on your arse! (I have the the scars and holes in my kit to prove that one...)
I've ridden all sorts of bikes too over the last 30 yrs and the litre bike will blow you away, both in a good, and bad way!
They are star wars bikes - use the force wisely... :p

·
Registered
378 Posts
Windy is right!!

You won't be disapoted with the R1 but in a reply to comparison of a zx14 to a R1 be real!!!!! If any one has been on both, you will know the differene. I know this may be bias but neither bike compare to the performace of a Zx14. M109 best dam sports cruzer I rode tq\hp is great but to let you guys on numbers a zx 14 is almost pushing the same dyno with just a k&n,pipe. Tre and rear spocket change. R1 well let's say just stick to the corners, this is this bikes flag ship not a strait line marvel like a hyabusa or Zx14. But you must be a jock to get the performance out of them anything, one over 200lbs is slowing these bikes dwn performance wise.So yes get the R1 and hit some corners but if your looking for a speeder bike, yes respect the super liter bikes, and just ride the other.If you can handle the tq and hp of a m109 you will loose your mind on the R1. But tread lighlty on a Zx14 or hyabusa. Take care...
Real truth from the "The Real"

·
Registered
455 Posts
I sold my 05 R1 last year & it's no more dangerous than the m109. It's all about throttle control. My first bike was a TL1000R & was a torque monster. I'm still here today with no accidents, knock on wood.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts