1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The cobra one U can tune yourself. the other one u have to pay someone to put it on a dyno and tune it... I personally have the cobra.... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I say the cobra unit is the way to Go , you dont need a Dyno operator beating the Chit out of you new ride,,

you get to do it your self :D

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
I have a cobra as well

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've had both, the FI2000R was good and does work it does meet the need of adding fuel with air and exhaust mods. But I decided to go with the PCIII because of the flexibility and I'm very satisfied with it. Listen to some of the post and decide what you want, the new Power Commander V with auto tune is a closed loop system where as oxygen sensors are used to set the air and fuel mixture much like the modern fuel management systems in a car. If you can afford it I would go with the new PC V. The PCIII is a good choice if you don't mind getting your bike tuned. There are some great guys on this forum and have given copies of their maps, I've also given mine. All bikes are different even with the same mods, sharing maps will get you in the ball park, but you will need to get a tune if you go with the PCIII. That's my 2 cents...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ok looking for a little help from the older and wizer M109r owners..
i bought the 2011 M109R and starting to order stuff for it ....
Hey ! :welcome: & :congrats: on the new scooter :bigthumbsup::D:D That new blue paint is just awesome! :bigthumbsup: Be sure to post pics as you go :D

·
Registered
917 Posts
I hear everyone on the Cobra, which is a good option. Let me add that I have a PCIII and after professional tuning it was a different bike, power wise. I had mine tuned more toward fuel mileage but the power increase is noticeable and very linear. Little more down front but I gained over 5 miles per gallon increase in fuel mileage.
So read up in depth and get what you want, but getting one of the two is a good idea. Ride safe...

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've had both, the FI2000R was good and does work it does meet the need of adding fuel with air and exhaust mods. But I decided to go with the PCIII because of the flexibility and I'm very satisfied with it. Listen to some of the post and decide what you want, the new Power Commander V with auto tune is a closed loop system where as oxygen sensors are used to set the air and fuel mixture much like the modern fuel management systems in a car. If you can afford it I would go with the new PC V. The PCIII is a good choice if you don't mind getting your bike tuned. There are some great guys on this forum and have given copies of their maps, I've also given mine. All bikes are different even with the same mods, sharing maps will get you in the ball park, but you will need to get a tune if you go with the PCIII. That's my 2 cents...
:agree: I would go with the PC V and add the auto tune.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
I have the Cobra FI2000R and I would recommend it. This way you can tune it now and if you want to change things up down the road, you just adjust it. Hope to see you at the BIG MEET in June. The link for that is in my signature.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
Cobra here too. It's easy to adjust for any changes, inexpensive, and trouble free. I've had it on for 3 years and just tweak it when I change something.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The problem with the PCV is that the autotune funtion is great---but it would require you to spend again the price of the V (that means you have more than $500 in it) and then you have to pay to have the exhaust modfied---you need to have O2 bungs cut in and welded to the exhaust. So you could easily have $700-800 wrapped up in it. You do not need to have a PC3 dyno tuned. There are plenty of maps available for free download right off DynoJets website (also supplied with the CD in the box). Those maps are dyno jets maps on bikes with various mods done. Those will get you close, however, if you tune on a dyno the numbers it gives you are static numbers. Meaning they ran the crap out of your bike while setting on a dyno with no forced air coming in the intakes. Once you get it out on the road, those numbers are thrown out because the bike is already running lean due to the extra air. A good tuner will try to compensate for that on a dyno--but it is a shot in the dark. A really good tuner will tell you like I am and listen to you with how the bike is running and modify your map accordingly. Alot of power and fuel mileage can be found just looking at the map and smoothing it out from what the dyno computer said is the correct tune. I do this for my perfomance minded customers. I have had many all motor Busa's come to me with dyno sheets saying 220hp. When asked, I look at the map knowing all the engine mods, see the possible variations in the map, make adjustments--smoothing and so on, and give it back to them. Never riding the bike myself, they say they feel a decent difference. Month or so later they have it on the dyno again and come back showing I found more HP--one case was a 23hp gain. So, a good tuner will not have to have a computer tell him what to do. To me, the maps are simple to read and in almost all cases there is more performance to be found over what the computer is telling them.
The Cobra unit is a good option for the all around cruiser that is not looking to squeze out every HP. I recommend it for most members over a PC3/V due to the ease of adjustability by the rider. There is an alternative to the PC. It is made by Healtech and is a great option to virtually the same type of tuning. Kawizx7 has one on his bike now and loves. I will in the future push members to this over the PC3. It is way easier to install and uses the same type map graphing. Hope this helps---and it probably confuses you even more.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I hear everyone on the Cobra, which is a good option. Let me add that I have a PCIII and after professional tuning it was a different bike, power wise. I had mine tuned more toward fuel mileage but the power increase is noticeable and very linear. Little more down front but I gained over 5 miles per gallon increase in fuel mileage.
So read up in depth and get what you want, but getting one of the two is a good idea. Ride safe...
Let me change your story for me.

I had the pc3 and had it professionally tuned. It got 34mpg and had a slightly off idle. I switched to the cobra and tuned it myself. I now average close to 41mpg with all my mods and the bike pulls harder then ever.

For the original poster, either option is great. The problem with a pc3 is that it is only as good as it's tuner. So, I spent $270 on a full tune to have it end up not really being tuned that well. Then you hear of another tuner who does good and you end up spending more money. Or, if you end up changing out mods, then you have to retune again as pipes and intakes are different.

On a side note, look into the gman bully. I have heard very good things about it and it too is a self tuning unit.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I installed the Power commander V with Autotune on Superman 9 s bike and that thing is awesome. Bike pulls hard and strong in every gear at every speed. I have a REVCO 4 pot tuner on my bike and I like it but if I had the money the PCV and auto tune would be what I'd have.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It looks like the cobra is winning but I can tell you for sure that the PCV with auto tune is working great for me. It tunes its self and any change I do I never have to worry about going back and retuning any thing. It takes care of that for me.

I did have it on a Dyno and the air fuel ratio was just about perfect and was very flat all the way thru. It was a little richer on the top end but that is good with me.

Yes it cost a little more but then you don't have to worry about it once it is installed and you except the changes it wants to make.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts