M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys could use a little help please,iv just fitted my new speedo face i got from Joe of this parrish,fitting went well and it looks fantastic,i removed the needle at zero,and replaced it at zero on the new face,problem i have is when i fire up the ignition the needle does its sweep,but then comes to rest below zero? when i kill the ignition the needle goes back to zero?I took it apart again and tried to wind the needle with my finger to zero but it moves in large incriments so one click and its up to 30mph,i will say that as i type i havent yet took my baby out on the road so im not sure how its going to read,i wont get a chance till tomorrow.So any advice would be welcome and much appreciated...thanks guys.........

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Check your Owner's Manual...there should be a procedure listed for resetting the speedometer. Hopefully that solves your problem :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no luck

I had a good look through the owners manual,no luck on finding a speedo reset buddy....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
numpty

Hey deputy,thanks fella just had another look at the manual and hey presto found it,so tomorrow il give it a try.thanks for your help......:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
When I did mine I just plugged it in and let it cycle, then put the needle on at 0. Then I unplugged it, reinstalled it in the housing, and plugged it back in.

I'd be careful about turning the needle by hand, it might strip something in it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no joy

Tried the manual speedo fix,no joy,been out on the bike today speedo is under reading bigtime,thanks Zoom il try your fix and see if i can get it to work,thanks...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
been out on the bike today speedo is under reading bigtime
:cop: Sir, do you know how fast you were going?

:evil: My speedo says I was only doing 30.

:cop: Sir, my radar gun says you were doing 90. I need your license and registration.

:evil: But officer, I just had my speedo replaced. How could it be off that much?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
How about cycling the speedo without the needle and then press it back on at zero. Leave the ignition on so it stays on zero. Turn it off and on so it cycles. Logical to me. :pop:
That's the process I mentioned above. Plug it in, let it cycle, stick the needle on, unplug and reassemble.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK

Im gonna try that lads it does sound logical,but it also seemed logical to pull the needle off at zero with the ignition off and then replace it at zero after instaling the new face plate ? does it not? I will try what you guys have suggested but my concern is at the moment its at zero with ignition off,but as soon as you turn the key it cycles then sits well below zero and on the stop,so if i let it cycle then put the needle on at zero when i turn the power off wont it raise the needle up to 20 or 30 mph on the face?lol il try it guys but my faceplate is cool and yesterday really pissed off two Harley riders,they just didnt see the funny side of my HARLEY HUNTER font on th plate or the HARDLY A DAVIDSON logo on my licence plate,Oh well they obviously took me for someone who gave a [email protected].......

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
DO THE ABOVE, BUT WHEN YOU PLACE THE NEEDLE BACK ON PUT IT BACK ON JUST ABOVE THE ZERO. Mine did this.:bigthumbsup:

or mabe you have fcuked it totaly by turning the stem:doh:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update

Ok guys just for anyone who's interested its as the M109 god said,you were spot on Zoomsta plug it in without needle,let it cycle then replace needle voila sorted thank [email protected]@k for that i thought my wallet was gonna get another hammering,cheers for all your help fellas...........

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
Glad you got it on bro. Even using that process I've had to pull and reposition them a couple times. It seems like the needle twists the post as it goes on, but eventually you get it on right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts