M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have the TFI by techclusion installed and tuned in yet on the 109? Just got mine today and it has the settings in the manual for about 20 bikes but like everything else the 109 is not in the list yet.

I'd really like to know what a good starting point would be, I notice by looking at the list of bikes there is a big difference in settings from bike to bike, doesnt appear to have any "general" setting to start from.

Thanks,
Mike
Sarasota, FL

G

·
GVOXX said:
Do any of you have the TFI by techclusion installed and tuned in yet on the 109? Just got mine today and it has the settings in the manual for about 20 bikes but like everything else the 109 is not in the list yet.

I'd really like to know what a good starting point would be, I notice by looking at the list of bikes there is a big difference in settings from bike to bike, doesnt appear to have any "general" setting to start from.

Thanks,
Mike
Sarasota, FL
I do not have a techclusion, but the bike is lean in the higher rpms normally, add fuel about 3500 or 4000, take it to a dyno and you will get the right mix.

TAZ

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is such a newbie question but how do you take your bike to a dyno? Is this done at a dealer? I never dynoed anything in my life, I'd tinker with it until it felt good and sounded good and call it good. I did find more info on the techclusion website, they have a forum there with many more bikes listed including the 109.

Thanks

Mike,
Sarasota, FL

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
where did you get yours? I've been looking for one for a 109 but can't find one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did see those numbers and set my pots exactly on them, I'm not sure I notice a big difference yet but I have only put a few miles on it since the change, it is working properly though, I can tell that much. Oh by the way, if anyone else decides to do this, the site dobekperformance has the forum but in there I read to connect to the grey/white and grey/black from the harness. This was right on, these are the fuel injector wires on the 109 but he also said to tap into the orange/white wire on the plug next to the harness for power. That a bunch of crap, I am not showing any voltage, switched or not from that wire. Instead follow the tail light wire about 6 inches back from the battery and there will be a plug, the heavy grey wire(should be the bottom center pin) is a good place to get a switched hot. Also the TFI fits vertically perfect right in the battery compartment.

Mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
GVOXX said:
Oh by the way, if anyone else decides to do this, the site dobekperformance has the forum but in there I read to connect to the grey/white and grey/black from the harness. This was right on, these are the fuel injector wires on the 109 but he also said to tap into the orange/white wire on the plug next to the harness for power. That a bunch of crap, I am not showing any voltage, switched or not from that wire.

Mike
Thats funny, because I'm hooked into the orange/white wire and my Techlusion TFI is functioning correctly . If there wasn't power at this point, you would not get any lights on the TFI module. Of course your option is fine also, I just found it easier to tap in near the same point I did for the injector wires.

By the way, I was the one who placed the post you've been referring to on the Dobek Performance sight. If nothing else, I hope it helped you with initial settings and a basic idea on where everything was at. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thats got me curious, if thats true than somethin' must be up with my bike? I checked that wire every way to Sunday and it definetly does not have power, no matter what position the key is in. How can that be? Your right about it not having lights on when tapping the orange/white. It did not, thats when I tested it, after tapping it. I assumed it would work which is my fault. I then found a different place to tap.

I'll look in the service manual tonight to see what is going on. That plug that it's on is just a diagnostics tap right?
Everything is working great as is, I'd just like to see why I don't have power there.

Thanks for the post though, the injector wires worked like a charm and saved me alot of time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have installed several TFI units on many different bikes..... evan had Mark Dobec (co-inventor of the DJ dyno) come to the shop and train us using the *dyno*. Even though that he status in his instructions that you can tune w/o a dyno, you are just guessing. You need to taje the bike and test it under load before you start turning the pots on the unit.

G

·
jeffw said:
I have installed several TFI units on many different bikes..... evan had Mark Dobec (co-inventor of the DJ dyno) come to the shop and train us using the *dyno*. Even though that he status in his instructions that you can tune w/o a dyno, you are just guessing. You need to taje the bike and test it under load before you start turning the pots on the unit.
Jeff, what percentage of PC buyers do you think get their bikes dynoed? Here's the directions from Techclusion:
Tuning
We suggest that you set your pots to the setting that best matches your bikes modification. Further
adjustments can be made by first having your bike fully warmed up. Then with a screwdriver in hand,
locate the green light and the pot right below it. Raise the RPM up to a high idle or about 1800-RPM if you
have a Tach. Once there, slowly turn the green pot clockwise from the 1:00 position (or off) until you
achieve the highest RPM and smoothest running sound (just like you would if you had a mixture screw on a
carburetor). You should find that the best setting is between 2:30 and 4:30.
Next locate the yellow light and the pot below it. This pot adjustment acts as an accelerator pump
adjustment. Anytime you see the light on, it means that this pot is adding fuel. You will notice that you can
take the RPM slowly up to 3000-4000 in neutral and see no yellow light. But whack the throttle wide open
quickly and you see the yellow light come on. Try to add as much as you can until the bike says it is too
much then back off two clock positions. This yellow pot adds most of its fuel below 4000 RPM and full
throttle acceleration.
The red light pot is for your main jet. It adds about 5 points of a main jet for every clock position.
Example: one clock position is the same as 170 to 175 main jet. All we can say about setting up this pot is
use the base setting that comes closest to your bikes modifications. Then use the same method you used,
setting up your carbureted bikes.

Does anybody have anything to add to these instructions besides "Good Luck"?

·
Registered
260 Posts
old TFI post

Well I have seen and riden with bikes with PC 111 AND also with TFI , and just today witnessed a bike with Scorpion Tips , K&N filters and TFI ............130 HP AND 154 NM !!!;);)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Green 1.5
Yellow 3.5
Red 0.5
RPM 4.5
These numbers were set from the dyno runs that we made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts