M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetically if I wanted to remove the tach, but keep the idiot lights, how would the wiring work? Does the circuit board need to be there, or can it just be hooked up direct? I looked in the other posts on this topic and unless I missed something my question was not answered…

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You can unplug the tach completely and just get your idiot lights straight from the harness.

Mine was set up like this briefly. I just wired individual LEDs to the wires on the harness and it was good to go.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
One of our members posted his Work on instaling a aftermarket cluster and his work may prove helpful to this kind of mod , he got diagrams for the wiring to the lights , leds require the proper resistor ,,but other than that you could make it work ,Go for it :nojoke:

heres his page ,,,Great Stuff (Thanks Steve ! )

http://www.hunt4steve.com/M109R2_DD.html

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of our members posted his Work on instaling a aftermarket cluster and his work may prove helpful to this kind of mod , he got diagrams for the wiring to the lights , leds require the proper resistor ,,but other than that you could make it work ,Go for it :nojoke:

heres his page ,,,Great Stuff (Thanks Steve ! )

http://www.hunt4steve.com/M109R2_DD.html
If I get new L.E.D. will they have the resistors built in or is it something I will have to add…

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
If I get new L.E.D. will they have the resistors built in or is it something I will have to add…
I have Bought them with and with out the nessiary resistors ,you have to read the fine print as far as operating voltage ,some are 1.5 volts, some are 3 volts and then you can buy the 12-14 volt type

be careful , if you buy the cheap ones they wont last very long!
Vibration and humidity kill Em

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Are you looking to install a 5" tach?

There was a member that just drilled holes in the handle bars between the riser caps and installed the leds that way.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you looking to install a 5" tach?

There was a member that just drilled holes in the handle bars between the riser caps and installed the leds that way.
If I do this, I do not want a tach and I have a couple of ideas about running the lights...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay, here it is... This is not a hypothetical mod... My tach was severely damaged, it not only broke one of the chrome pieces, but as it turns out it also damaged the circuit board... I have been all over this board and the internet trying to find a way to just wire up the idiot lights without having the tach... The oil pressure, water temp, low fuel, FI, turn signals, high beam all work... TS and HB, work perfectly...
Okay now the problems...
All though the lights work, they are very dim, almost invisible unless you are looking right into the led...
The neutral light will not come on, and the system will not prime, unless the the kick stand is up, even in neutral...

Other then that the bike is running great... I know I can run with out the lights and tach, but I would like to have the lights, so you guys are my last chance... I am hoping someone smarter then me can help me do this without buying a new tach...
Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
We traded a few PMs on this but I will put it here in what may be a more straight forward manner than the back and forth we had.

While my tach was off, I just wired in individual LEDs from pepboys and they worked out fine.

They include clips to drill a hole in whatever and push then through from the rear.

Last we spoke, you wanted to try to use the stock idiot light but remove them from the tach circuit board. There is where you loose me as I have no experience there.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We traded a few PMs on this but I will put it here in what may be a more straight forward manner than the back and forth we had.

While my tach was off, I just wired in individual LEDs from pepboys and they worked out fine.

They include clips to drill a hole in whatever and push then through from the rear.

Last we spoke, you wanted to try to use the stock idiot light but remove them from the tach circuit board. There is where you loose me as I have no experience there.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I did go out and buy new leds and it the result was what I described in my previous post... What could I have done wrong???

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Let's break through some terminology.

What do you mean "the system will not prime"?

Do you mean the fuel rail will not pressurize or the idiot lights do not all come on like when the tach was installed and they all come on while the tach scans from full to zero?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I want to make sure something else was not damaged.

maybe I need to bring my tach down and make sure a know-working one does what it should.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let's break through some terminology.

What do you mean "the system will not prime"?

Do you mean the fuel rail will not pressurize or the idiot lights do not all come on like when the tach was installed and they all come on while the tach scans from full to zero?
With the bike in neutral I connected the + on the LED to Blue wire (neutral) and the - on the LED to the black/white wire (ground)... the light came on, so I pulled in the clutch and the fuel rail did not pressurize... I thought it may be a ground, so I grounded it to the frame with no change... I then kicked it into gear and the light continued to burn bright... Then I put the kick stand up and the fuel rail did pressurize and the light goes out, even in neutral...
As I mentioned before the turn signals (green and black wires) and high beam indicator (yellow wire) work fine and the oil/water (black/red and black/brown), low fuel (black/green), FI (Purple), work they are just very dim...
I will also mention that when I hooked the tach back to stock, the back lighting LEDs and the LCD display work fine, but other then Turn signals, and High beam, the LED do not work at all...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
With the bike in neutral I connected the + on the LED to Blue wire (neutral) and the - on the LED to the black/white wire (ground)... the light came on, so I pulled in the clutch and the fuel rail did not pressurize... I thought it may be a ground, so I grounded it to the frame with no change... I then kicked it into gear and the light continued to burn bright... Then I put the kick stand up and the fuel rail did pressurize and the light goes out, even in neutral...
As I mentioned before the turn signals (green and black wires) and high beam indicator (yellow wire) work fine and the oil/water (black/red and black/brown), low fuel (black/green), FI (Purple), work they are just very dim...
I will also mention that when I hooked the tach back to stock, the back lighting LEDs and the LCD display work fine, but other then Turn signals, and High beam, the LED do not work at all...
So many possibilities. I am not sure we can diagnose this just swapping messages.

If you want me to bring my tach down and we can toy with this for a bit, let me know.

·
Registered
128 Posts
xtremerevolution.com offers this it is for a vtx but u could custom mount it. Has no lights in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts