M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
What makes you think your starter failed? When did it stop working? Have you checked to be sure kill switch is off? What starting ritual are you using? Do you have power in general? Can you share some info on your problem? There are some smart people on the board but they'll need more than it isn't working to share udeas.
Jer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry heres some more details. First their was no sign if problems. Turned on- let fi go through the motions. All power came on. Checked the lill swich-ok. pulled clutch. Fired the start and did not engage. powered pulled when pushing start swich. could her starter trying to fire but didnt do enough to turn engine. hooked up jumper and still did the same thing. tryed bump start and fired as soon as i released clutch. when running did fine as usual. engaged kill swich and went through everything again. same as before. had to bump start to get home. could use some knowledge thanks

·
Registered
849 Posts
If indeed your starter is cranking, but the bike isn't starting, my first choice to look for would be loose battery cables or a poor inconsistent ground.  If a fuse was out, it wouldn't crank. 
How does the bike run when you jump start it?  Does it seem to be running smoothly.  Does it idle smoothly?  If not, another possibility would be engine flooding. This normally results from giving it gas when you're trying to start it.  This happens occasionally when the last bike people had was carbureted as opposed to the 109s fuel injection system.  If this might be the case, the normal procedure to try to rectify the flooded condition is to open the throttle fully, run the starter for 5 seconds or so, then stop, release the throttle, and again engage the starter to see if it will start.
Fortunately,  the dealer and Suzuki are ultimately responsible if it's some other problem.  Let me know how things turn out for you as it will be good information for the rest of the board.
Jer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK !!!! I get the jackass award of the week. Took it to the dealer today. They pulled it into the garage and 10 min later, i was on my way. Happy but a little embarrassed. Diagnosis loose cable caused an arch that welded the terminal. So when i check the battery cables it Seemed tight and OK. Cost - 1 screw(free of charge by dealer). And a small bow to the ego!!!!!! At least i got to ride the rest of the day!!!!! Thanks for all you help and a couple of u hit the (screw on the head)lol!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts