M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Bros
Starts last weekend. Stopped on the trafic lights, and could not go down on the gears. Shifter was like frozen. I was on second gear so start to move was not a problem. Shifting up is not a problem while driving. SHifting down is a bit harder. There is no chance to find a neutral. There is almost impossible to shift when bike stands. When clutch lever is squized, with no brakes, bike wants to move slowly forward. If you would like to push the bike, then its not easy. Cluch holds still a bit. Have you ever had anything like this? HELP! ! !

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sounds a little like the clutch cable needs adjusting or it is breaking and needs to be replaced . Check both ends of the cable top see if you have any wire breaking at either connector !

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah sounds like the clutch cable. I had to adjust mine at least ever 500-1000 miles untill it stretched in.

Start at the top end (Lever) my clutch is not tight has about 3-5mm play.

As already said it could be about to break:dontknow:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sounds a little like the clutch cable needs adjusting or it is breaking and needs to be replaced . Check both ends of the cable top see if you have any wire breaking at either connector !
:agree:clutch cable or worn out clutch. the same problem on any bike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check your clutch cable. I don't know about yours but mine did the exact same thing and when I moved the rubber boot at the clutch lever out of the way, the cable was frayed. I had only one strand left holding my cable together!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
It could actually be a number of things:

1.Stretched cable which could be ready to break which could lead you to do #2 or #3

2. Top adjustment needed

3. Bottom adjustment needed

4. Third adjustment in on the set screw in the clutch casing.

5. Tube Nut backing off.

I would start in that order at least and if you get to #5 you can check the clutch plates as they are being pulled so you'll know if those need to be replaced. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
259 Posts
yeah mine did this about 6 months ago and it was my clutch cable at the top; there was only 1 or 2 strands left holding it together. was a good reason to convince the wifey on s.s. braided lines though :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
263 Posts
If not the cable, it may be the clutch tube nut...
Thanks to hink with my bike, it was the clutch tube nut. Problem starts out just like your having and progressively gets worse untill you have no clutch. pull that clutch apart and put some lock-tite (blue) and put her back together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts