M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 M109R with approximately 6000 miles on it. Have installed
Vance and Hines Big Shots and a Cobra FI 2000 fuel controller. I recently installed a Barons xXx Big Air Kit. After the air kit install I immediately began experiencing a low speed hesitation on trailing throttle. The hesitation takes place sporadically in 1'st and 2'nd gear and almost without fail in 3'rd gear between 40 and 45 mph. The hesitation never occurs on acceleration; trailing throttle only. I have tried just about every adjustment combination possible on the FI 2000 with no success. The spark plugs are in excellent shape. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
First, :welcome: to the forum and :congrats: on getting a 109. :D

It's hard to get that kind of hesitation out. These things like to be either on the throttle or off. My suspicion is it's just more noticeable with the intake on it now. Mine runs pretty smooth with the FI2000R set on 2-3-2, but if slowing down and just barely being on the throttle you can still feel just a slight amount of surging. Either accelerate or let all the way off and it's fine, or cruising steady at any speed. But if you're just lightly on the throttle and letting it gradually slow down it does have a slight hesitation or surging to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Zoom. However, what I am seeing in the bike is more than the characteristic surge of the 109.

I guess a more accurate description of what I am experiencing is a miss, rather than a hesitation.

Prior to the air intake install the bike ran smooth as silk both on acceleration as well as trailing throttle. Since the install the miss has been ever present as previously described.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
in your list of mods i didnt see a
Timing Retard Eliminator , it calms down Stock engines ,i suppose it would help the fuleler set up too

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
:agree: it cant hurt!
If it didn't, I wouldn't have the TRE function on my GiPro turned off right now. I got tired of the pinging even running 93 octane and colder plugs. :D

smanM109R, lots of folks have mods the same as yours or very similar, and I've never seen the problem you are having mentioned. That makes me think it's something in the installation. Since the Big Air was the last to go on, make sure the air inlet tubes are firmly seated on it. Check around the general area of it and make sure something wasn't knocked off during the installation. It's close to the throttle linkage and it may even be binding that.

On the FI2000R, the portion that affects what yours is doing is the first pot, with the 3rd one having some impact on it. I'd take the first and third pot down to 2, then bump the first pot up 1/2 click at a time and see what it does. If you go too far you can also get too rich and create a similar problem. The second pot is just used under acceleration and shouldn't bother it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved. Learned that the T connector for one of my injector leads on the FI 2000 wasn't making full contact. Cut the connectors off (what I should have done at the time of the initial install), soldered the connections and now my 9 is running as smooth as ever.

Thanks for the advise, guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts