M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has an '06 M109R. He was in an accident a couple weeks ago and insurance totaled the bike. I knew they would as the exhaust, and both wheels are done. OEM replacement costs on those three things alone are over half the value of the bike. Also needed will be forward controls, brake lever, signals, and odds and ends.
The agent then proceeded to tell dad he was going to have bike taken to dealer to have them go through it, then reported back that the frame, forks, and gear box were all ruined.
I had a hard time believing this but figured if they pulled the fairings off of the neck there could be damage there. Since I only could eyeball the forks I figured it could be a possibility, but with the gearbox perplexed me how they would know it was trashed without pulling it all apart, and why would they do that for a low speed go down... though it was a hard hit.
I convinced dad to go with me to the shop to talk to the tech... surprise surprise they knew nothing of it and hadn't even seen the bike. I told dad to make the insurance company take bike to the shop to have them look at the neck, forks, and frame closely. If all that is good I told him he should buy it back.
After all he's been through now he does NOT want to let the bike go. I have priced custom aftermarket parts which is what he wanted to do anyhow... however he is worried about the forks... rightfully so. The impact was so hard that it shoved them up a full inch in the triples. They look straight, but definitely need new seals. But just in case I need to find out how much a new set of forks would be attainable for.
Thank you in advanced for any help you guys may be. I'm in NY right now and will be heading home later today. Will post pictures so you guys can see how he was hurt, and how bike looks.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Insurance company just covering their A$$ They don't want to take a chance the bike frame is damaged and a further claim come back at them after a fix attempt.There are a lot of folks here that have spare parts and they will chim in shortly........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear this. Insurance company just covering their A$$ They don't want to take a chance the bike frame is damaged and a further claim come back at them after a fix attempt.There are a lot of folks here that have spare parts and they will chim in shortly........
I realize this.. insurance companies generally don't like to rebuild bikes. However they didn't have to lie about it, the parts alone were enough to total it. I had expected them to total it.... but expected to buy it back from the begining. Also anyone have thoughts on costs of buy back? they gave him 7200 for the bike I believe.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I realize this.. insurance companies generally don't like to rebuild bikes. However they didn't have to lie about it, the parts alone were enough to total it. I had expected them to total it.... but expected to buy it back from the begining. Also anyone have thoughts on costs of buy back? they gave him 7200 for the bike I believe.
He can buy a really nice 9 with mods for $7200.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
If you buy it back, it will be a salvage title. You should check with your state to make sure you don't have any issues. Also, if in fact the frame is damaged, that could be another hurdle, getting a new one and getting it registered. I remember someone on here having issues like that as well.

If you open the neck and see no damage like paint flaking or obvious cracks, find out the buy back price then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you buy it back, it will be a salvage title. You should check with your state to make sure you don't have any issues. Also, if in fact the frame is damaged, that could be another hurdle, getting a new one and getting it registered. I remember someone on here having issues like that as well.

If you open the neck and see no damage like paint flaking or obvious cracks, find out the buy back price then.
That was the plan... looking under the bike, and all along frame there were no scratches or dents/dings. But I want to see the neck before I say for sure. KS is pretty easy on registration, and Oklahoma is even more lax. If nothing else could register bike in OK to lose the salvage title then re register in ks and have a clean title... but we may be able to keep the title clean as he hasn't turned it over to insurance yet.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
That was the plan... looking under the bike, and all along frame there were no scratches or dents/dings. But I want to see the neck before I say for sure. KS is pretty easy on registration, and Oklahoma is even more lax. If nothing else could register bike in OK to lose the salvage title then re register in ks and have a clean title... but we may be able to keep the title clean as he hasn't turned it over to insurance yet.
I hope it all works out for you. As Biscuitpimp pointed out, you could probably take the insurance money and just go buy a used fully modded 109 and be done with it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
parts

If the forks are bad be prepared to pay close to 1500 for a new set depending what you may be able to salvage from the ones you have. I would take others advice at just look at a used bike. I had to replace my forks, not a lot of fun.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
I know when I bought my wife's Carolla back, the insurance company would not insure it for full coverage. If it was their policy or the states I am not sure on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope it all works out for you. As Biscuitpimp pointed out, you could probably take the insurance money and just go buy a used fully modded 109 and be done with it.
I agree... but he wants HIS bike back after having gone through all this.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I agree... but he wants HIS bike back after having gone through all this.
I can understand and respect that. However, maybe you should point out that "his" bike had a front impact. You just never know how it is going to ride after that. the smallest of things could make it ride off center. Me personally, I would try and find a bone stock 109 and start over. But, it is his choice and I wish you guys the best either way. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts