M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have them and have installed them, did you have a fitment problem? Any pictures I've seen - including those on DL's website, show them mounted flush.

I order a set (2 pair) and they have 'tails' on them that appear to be meant to go into the existing bolt holes... but of course the are to large for that... the bolt holes are only big enough for the bolts. I hope that makes sense...

Any way - looking for help/comments here as I talk with and am on hold for Direct Line.... anyone???

Thanks much!

J

*EDIT - adding pics*

Ok - this should help clear up what I'm trying to say in my jumble above...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Help! - Need quick info on Bungee Button Install

Ok - just finished the call with Direct Line without a solution. They even had Kewl Metal on the other phone. So... I need to hear from anyone who got the bungee buttons. Did you have to do any modifications (cutting off the button 'tail', drilling out the stock bolt hole, anything) to get them to fit flush? They should seat and mount as pictured on DL's website: http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6110&str=290&ID=240214649

Trying to get this sorted out today - thanks to all who can comment here!

J

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts

Looks like I'll be needing the answer also as mine should be here any day now...

·
Registered
291 Posts

I received my set a few weeks ago but with vacation and mandatory weekends at work, haven't got around to installing them yet.

I will be following this thread.

-Tim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

hey dilbert - can you take them outa the box and check the fitment quick tonight? Any info you can give me would be a great help!

J

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts

jcopley said:
Ok - just finished the call with Direct Line without a solution. They even had Kewl Metal on the other phone. So... I need to hear from anyone who got the bungee buttons. Did you have to do any modifications (cutting off the button 'tail', drilling out the stock bolt hole, anything) to get them to fit flush? They should seat and mount as pictured on DL's website: http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6110&str=290&ID=240214649

Trying to get this sorted out today - thanks to all who can comment here!

J
There is a tail on them, that's what holds them off from the struts, they are suppose to be like that. The ones you saw were not the right ones for this bike. These are the right ones. If you are really having trouble installing them then you need to send them back or take your bike to a shop and have them install them for you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Added pics just now in hopes it helps clear up what I'm trying to explain and ask here...

Has no one else installed these???

J

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
jcopley said:
Added pics just now in hopes it helps clear up what I'm trying to explain and ask here...

Has no one else installed these???

J
Here's my cell 423-552-0728 call me if you like but that is the way they are suppose to be.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Lamonster said:
...or take your bike to a shop and have them install them for you.
Um, yeah - I'm a little more competent than that. My whole thing is on the fitment and photo representation. If the ones picture on the DL website for the product photo aren't the ones that ship... I think the picture needs to be corrected. I think we had this same issue with Cobra that everyone was up in arms about.

At any rate - thanks for the info. Even talking with DL - and them on the phone with kewl metal - they couldn't tell me they were supposed to stand off like that. They told me they should mount flush. So... I think I'll just wack off that little tail...

J

ps. Not trying to be harsh - but c'mon... take them to a shop to install??? ::)

pps. Also NOT inferring anything bad about DL - they were awesome on the phone and did what they could to answer my questions (called kewl metal, even went and pulled a box to look at them)... they just didn't have the info...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link - but none of those stand off like these do with the tail. Maybe that was the intent on the design for the 109 application - to be unique from all others. But heyl... I have a cut-off wheel and grinder...

J

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts

jcopley said:
Um, yeah - I'm a little more competent than that. My whole thing is on the fitments and photo representation. If the ones picture on the DL website for the product photo aren't the ones that ship... I think the picture needs to be corrected. I think we had this same issue with Cobra that everyone was up in arms about.

At any rate - thanks for the info. Even talking with DL - and them on the phone with kewl metal - they couldn't tell me they were supposed to stand off like that. They told me they should mount flush. So... I think I'll just wack off that little tail...

J

ps. Not trying to be harsh - but common... take them to a shop to install??? ::)

pps. Also NOT inferring anything bad about DL - they were awesome on the phone and did what they could to answer my questions (called kewl metal, even went and pulled a box to look at them)... they just didn't have the info...
I'm sitting here with Big Joe from Kewlmetal and he said DO NOT cut them off unless you plan on re-chroming them and shorting the bolts. If you look at these pictures you can see that there's not much you could cut off anyway.

The picture on the web was of the prototypye bungee buttons and if you read any of my post on the bungee buttons you would have seen that I was testing the fitments of the bungee buttons for the 109. I never thought that those pictures would have been a problem but I will take a picture of mine now and change the picture. The Cobra pipes picture is not even in the same league as the bungee buttons but I will make it right now. ::) By the way when you order a Big Mac does it look like the one in the picture? ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey Jcoply,
The tails on the buttons are to keep the location of the buttons in the same place for all the other add on's we are doing for them.
LaMonster's pic shows the protos not the production units.
Hope this helps.
Big Joe

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Lamonster said:
I'm sitting here with Big Joe from Kewlmetal and he said DO NOT cut them off unless you plan on re-chroming them and shorting the bolts...
Damn :mad:... ok.

Lamonster said:
... if you read any of my post on the bungee buttons you would have seen that I was testing the fitments of the bungee buttons for the 109....
Actually, I did read that. I follow your posts closer than I probably should - 'specially given that you and Hal are closely involved with alot of the new items coming out for the 109. However, I never saw an update indicating the huge stand off so didn't expect it.

Lamonster said:
...By the way when you order a Big Mac does it look like the one in the picture? ;)
Well, it doesn't look like a McChicken sandwhich... :joke:

Anyway - thanks again for the info. Judging by your posts, it would seem I came across as PO'd or disgruntled - I'm neither. Truth is, I only wanted a confirmation of how they were *supposed* to look. Thanks again for clearing that up...

J

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big Joe said:
Hey Jcoply,
The tails on the buttons are to keep the location of the buttons in the same place for all the other add on's we are doing for them.
LaMonster's pic shows the protos not the production units.
Hope this helps.
Big Joe
It does - makes perfect sense when put in that perspective. Thanks.

J

·
Registered
109 Posts
hal and lamont, speeking of big mac's, could you guy's bring me back one and a order of fries? ::) hope your having fun. hal hurry back with your camera, finished chrome inserts in rad cover and put spikes on front axle. i need someone around not affraid of the rain. be careful and keep having a great time guy's. The JUNK YARD DOG :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just one question....

In the link that Lamont posted, the price for the set is $39.95 and yet on DLP it is $79.50.

Did I miss something? Is it only for 2 buttons on the Kewlmetal site?

It is late and I've been studying for my MCSE for a couple hours...

·
Registered
243 Posts
bowdman said:
Just one question....

In the link that Lamont posted, the price for the set is $39.95 and yet on DLP it is $79.50.

Did I miss something? Is it only for 2 buttons on the Kewlmetal site?

It is late and I've been studying for my MCSE for a couple hours...
From teh web link:

Save your fender with these CNC machined billet aluminum, hard chromed Bungee Buttons. The Slot is perfectly sized for a bungee chord hook. Comes in pairs, each item includes 2 CNC bungee buttons, 2 bolts with chromed or mirror-polished heads, and 2 chrome caps for the allen bolts for a 100% mirror finish clean look. See below for application table.

So it is 2 for $39.95 DL includes 4...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts