M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a casual rider for the most part, with a generally heavy throttle hand. Now I have started modifying this bike and it is a slippery slope that I am happy to be on, my buddy has warned me that I shouldn't dress her up if I'm not going to dance.

Since I have not been a dragger in the past, I welcome your advice on launch techniques. I want to whoop some [email protected]# if provoked, not learn by my mistakes.

Whatd'ya got?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
JR,
Thanks for the scoop, let me rephrase...

Has anyone experienced the best RPM with normal PSI in the rear tire that you can dump the clutch without totally smokin' the tire. I have only been to 5/10th's on this bike from a stand still and being my first shaft drive bike, I dont want to leave U-joints on the tarmac or get left stading in my own cloud of smoke.
Thx

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel more novice now than when posting. If I am practicing on my newly paved street (blacktop), weighing 200 lbs, 90 degrees at sea level and dump the clutch at 4000 will I break something? Thanks guys. I am not being a smart a**, I just don't want to break something.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Ok, you guys are getting way too technical. I seriously doubt that when a Warrior pulls up beside you at the light and sends you a friendly rev-challenge that you think "ok it's 90 degrees with no clouds making the asphault approx 130 degrees and my rear tire has 42 psi and my shock is set on 3 so I will rev to 5400 rpm and dump the clutch for a perfect launch..." I'm betting you just go with the flow. He isn't wanting to become a pro dragger, he just wants some general real world pointers on how to smoke that Warrior at the light. He wants to know that if he takes it to 5500 and just dumps the clutch that he won't break any gears or pull a wheelie if the tire bites. Instead of the science behind it, why not just tell him what you guys do under most normal situations?

That being said, I'll offer the only tip I'm qualified to offer on this subject.... Don't wait until the Warrior pulls up and challenges you to try this. you should find a not-so-busy road and just lay down some rubber trying to find out for yourself what works best. It's all about good technique, and to get that requires repetition so your muscles learn by feel when enough throttle is being given.

·
Registered
13 Posts
  Practice while keeping your weight forward and feather the clutch out while twisting the wick. Then short shift thru the gears. You ought be able to smoke Warriors easy. When you're comfortable with the bike... just for fun take on a few Busas for short runs. You may surprise yourself how well ya do.  Main thing is be very careful where you race.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Another related question is assuming you've got a good launch is there a requirement to use the clutch on upshifts? I know some bike transmissions are constant mesh and you can flat shift but what about the 109?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice JR. I am in Palm Beach County and due to the number of bikes down here, I know it won't be long before someone wants to go and I want to be ready. I'm taking her out today to whip her fat a** and tell her who's boss. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
702 Posts
FL109er said:
Great advice JR. ... I'm taking her out today to whip her fat a** and tell her who's boss. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
ahh yes. Whipping her fat a$$....

Makes me want to ride.

Glad you got the advice you were looking for. Posts are right on target. practice until you get the feel, scare yourself, then practice some more until you're not scared anymore.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Makes me want to ride too! Wish my 109 wasn't sick and at the doctors! He said it could be a few weeks to get the clutch fixed!! HURRY UP!!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
FL109er said:
Great advice JR. I am in Palm Beach County and due to the number of bikes down here, I know it won't be long before someone wants to go and I want to be ready. I'm taking her out today to whip her fat a** and tell her who's boss. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Just be sure actually Whip her @ss. I attempted to before I asked for advice... here are my stories.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1177.0

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1188.0

Sledzep

·
Registered
817 Posts
Joshua_109 said:
Makes me want to ride too! Wish my 109 wasn't sick and at the doctors! He said it could be a few weeks to get the clutch fixed!! HURRY UP!!
Dude, what happened to your clutch?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well don't tell Suzuki but I was riding in a parade and I guess I was on the clutch too much......I'm working with my dealer to try and get it covered under warranty! It sucks!! It broke down last saturday and has taken me 9 days to get it down to the dealer who is 1hr and 20 min away. Had trouble getting a pickup to get it down there!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Joshua_109 said:
Well don't tell Suzuki but I was riding in a parade and I guess I was on the clutch too much......I'm working with my dealer to try and get it covered under warranty! It sucks!! It broke down last saturday and has taken me 9 days to get it down to the dealer who is 1hr and 20 min away. Had trouble getting a pickup to get it down there!!
I hope you are as lucky as slepzep was. Keep us posted as to whether they cover it.

If you are interested, I will send you a link to a thread on another board where the exact same thing happened. That chick wasn't so lucky. :verymad:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I wonder if this points to a problem with the clutch? Is it a weak clutch or just very sensitive to riding the clutch a little to much? Will we ultimately have to go with an after market one? I had to do this with my 1200 Madura a number of years ago. Just wondering if is something we need to be extra carefull with or not. :dontknow: :doorag:

·
Registered
296 Posts
It wont hurt the gears or tranny to shift it that way. Trannies and gears are not like cars , clutch is generally to smooth shifts at slower change rate . There was an article in one of the major bike rags a few years ago about shifting without the clutch this way and it will not damage the bike.

Remember, drag racing is VERY hard on vehicles because ...... you are putting all or most of the vehicles power down through the driveline from a standstill in a rapid and violent fashion . If you get pretty good traction, which you hopefully will especially on a prepped track, it damn near feels like you have been hit by a bus from behind on a good launch. This bike should be a demon sixty footer with low gearing , fat tire (with pressure lowered) , an experienced rider and with the power mod (restoring full power to first three gears).

These days it seems like many people are going "from a roll" (rolling start) because it is much easier, easier on the bike , and safer. It does , however , take much of the skill out of the equation.

As mentioned , practice , practice, practice...... good luck :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
FL109er said:
Great advice JR. I am in Palm Beach County and due to the number of bikes down here, I know it won't be long before someone wants to go and I want to be ready. I'm taking her out today to whip her fat a** and tell her who's boss. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Bring that Beotch up here to Stuart. I'll let ya practice tryin' to catch mu Xc :D

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
J R said:
Was it just the fiber plates wore out from slipping or did you bust the basket ? MAKE SURE *** if you wiped out the clutch from slipping ya flush the motor real good all that friction material is in you engine oil and oil pan and hopfully the filter.change the oil three or 4 times real quick to be safe just run it with some cheap oil and drain and repeat or pull the pan or the next thing you could have go out will be a rod or main bearing.let me know if it was the basket id like to know .thanks and good luck :bigthumbsup:
I talked to my mechanic and he said they are getting it covered under warranty for me. He said something about it being a faulty pressure plate?!? Haven't gotten a chance to talk to him anymore to find out about the basket, that's just what he told me. Said that some parts had broken off in there and caused it to slip. Does this mean that I need to change the oil like you suggested??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts