M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for any of you experienced wrenchers out there. This is not about my M109 -- it's about my girlfriend's 1995 Honda Shadow.

Long story short -- mid-90s Shadows are notorious for leaking oil seals at about 25k miles. Sure enough, hers let go last weekend.

Ordered the parts (oil seal, starter cover gasket, and left crankcase gasket) and fixed 'er up.   :2cool: Not too tough of a job, BUT...

I could NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME get all the old gasket material off the crankcase.  :realmad:  :swear:  I removed as much as I could and took a chance that it would be okay. BAD MISTAKE.  :yikes: The crankcase is now dripping oil. Not a lot, but enough to drive me crazy.  :verymad: I have since ordered another gasket and face the dread of doing this job all over again.

It is now evident that I am gonna have to get ALL the old gasket material off. But HOW??? Is there some kind of a trick to this? It is really stuck on there but good. I even used gasket remover (Methyl Chloride type) but that didn't do the trick either. I need something that will melt this focker off but without damaging the aluminum.

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP -- I do NOT want to do this job a third time.  :verymad:  :verymad:  :verymad:

·
Registered
317 Posts
razor blade, gasket scraper, finger nail, there is a rubber pad and an abrasive pad if your really carefull for a die grinder if you have an air line.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yea, what he said but I prefer a razor sharp gasket scraper(almost shaving sharp!)to a razor blade. I don't like it when they snap unexpectedly. and in extreme circumstances,  judicious use of abrasives. i.e. sandpaper. Careful not to distort the "flat-ness" of the casting. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I use to use a dremel tool with a wire brush attachment works like a charm and no damage possible. Good luck Ray

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the Dremel with the wire brush. That was able to clean up some areas where a little bit remained, but didn't do anything in the major areas.

Where do you get a "gasket scraper"? Excuse my ignorance, but I've never seen one, even in the auto parts places.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
NAPA Auto Stores carry Permatex Gasket Remover in a 12 oz. spray can. I use it whenever I'm rebuilding a engine. For surfaces which are not very wide I spray some into a small container and dab it on with a acid brush. Works great!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bob109 said:
NAPA Auto Stores carry Permatex Gasket Remover in a 12 oz. spray can. I use it whenever I'm rebuilding a engine. For surfaces which are not very wide I spray some into a small container and dab it on with a acid brush. Works great!
Believe it or not, I bought a can of this stuff from NAPA. It did NOTHING.

I'm serious... this thing is stuck on for life. :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
A gasket scraper looks like a putty knife about 1 1/4" wide with a blade thickness that makes it all but inflexable. they should be readily available at NAPA etc. If the stuff is that hard I'd go with sandpaper wrapped around a flat object of appropriate size for your particular job. start with 80 grit and kind-of "wipe" it repeatedly, stop when metal shows through, finish with 100 or120 grit. Also be sure to leave some "tooth" on the sealing surface, as a polished sealing surface won't seal well, and will cause the gasket to "ooze" out from between the parts when the fasteners are tightened.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
steelfaber said:
A gasket scraper looks like a putty knife about 1 1/4" wide with a blade thickness that makes it all but inflexable.
Okay, I know what that is. I thought you were talking about something else. :redfaced:

I tried this, and it worked some, but it's extremely tight in some of these places. The razor blade / Exacto knife thing I did not try; hopefully I'll have better luck with that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wanted, after all of this, it comes down to patience and perseverance. OH! one other thing--- JUST before you fling the piece across the shop, cussing a blue streak; set it down and go have a smoke and/or a beer!!! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The "piece" is attached to the bike. However, I STILL seriously considered setting the focker on fire and telling the ol' lady to call her insurance company... :evil:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Wanted said:
Believe it or not, I bought a can of this stuff from NAPA. It did NOTHING.

I'm serious... this thing is stuck on for life. :(
Depending on the gasket material it can take several applications to soften things up. I know the gaskets still required some effort to remove.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I feel your pain, dude!! And i'll let you in on a little secret--- so does every other decent wrench-bender out here!! There will always be that one, exasperating job out there, for even the most experienced mechanic!! They'd be lyin' if they said otherwise!! :doorag:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have used a air powered 90 degree die grinder with a 2-3 inch ScotchBrite pad. I promise you, this is the only painless, fast way I know of. All the mechanics I know use this method. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Chuck

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chuck said:
I have used a air powered 90 degree die grinder with a 2-3 inch ScotchBrite pad. I promise you, this is the only painless, fast way I know of. All the mechanics I know use this method. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Chuck
A good idea, but working on this engine while it's still in the frame makes this impossible. There is less than an inch of clearance at the bottom.

I'm tackling this tomorrow morning. I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
mr GASKET got some spray stuff works like a champ.I got it from boat place when I use to rebuild them.Also snap on has a great scraper,but I don't have it anymore,cuz my dumb ass neighbor used it for a pry bar and broke it. Yea I could have gave it to the snap on man and got a new one,but the DSOAB threw it away,cuz it broke :mad:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Wanted said:
A good idea, but working on this engine while it's still in the frame makes this impossible. There is less than an inch of clearance at the bottom.

I'm tackling this tomorrow morning. I'll let you all know how it goes.
It will probably be quicker to just pull the engine at this point and use the grinder

1 - 17 of 17 Posts