M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.  Been  reading all the posts and this is a great site.

Now my question.  Currently I own a 2003 Kawasaki ZZR1200.  Thinking of trading it in on of course an M109R.  I am only 5'6".  The height has always been on issue on the rocket bikes when I come to a stop, but while riding I am fine.   The M109R seems to be to opposite.  Then riding my legs are pretty stretched out and I am not used to this position.  Is this a more comfortable position?  How much different is it turning this beast?  Do I have to take wide turns?  Will I be scraping the pegs easily?  And lastly, did it bother any of you to buy a bike in it's first year out?  Normally I wait one year to find all the bugs and let the manufacturer address as many as possible before I get my bike.

Please serious comments only.  I know you all seem to love the bike, but I am sure I don't fit on it like most of you.

Ride safe and thanks.

T

·
Registered
326 Posts
At 6'2" I can only offer advice based on the others that have seen my bike and coming from a YZF600R sportbike.

My wife is 5'2 and she can reach the foot pegs and bars but is stretched out for both. She cannot flat foot but only gets the ball of her foot down on both sides.

My friend with a 750 Shadow is 5"4'. He tried out my 109R yesterday and cannot flat foot either. He's closer then my wife is but the seat is 3" higher then his shadow and much wider. He could not get enough foot down to push the bike around if he had to.

I am very comfortable both flatfooted and stretched ou for the foot pegs (but again, I'm a bit taller)

Comparison to the sportbikes, You do not have to take wide turns but it takes a bit more energy to get it turned over. It's not like wrestling a tiger but it's more demanding then my sportbike. You will probably scrape your pegs and heels if you are not careful, especally if you were close to scraping your sport.

I will say that one of the things I like the best about the 109R is that you sit a bit more "forward" then most cruisers I sat on.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dude your right I did the same with the vTX and I am also 5 6. The only way I could get the x down was proggressive shocks, and when I first mounted this beast I was very uncomfortable. Remmember It has a shock under the main seat and if you cannot adjust that or at least get a riser with a few more inchs I would not like the bike.
Dont get me wrong it is a wonderful machine but as I said unless you can make it comfortable wait until someone comes up with an answer either new seat shock or at least an extended riser. It is just my 2 cents but think about it I have been there with my x and now I love it with extended risers and shorter proggressive shocks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
tczupka said:
Now my question. Currently I own a 2003 Kawasaki ZZR1200. Thinking of trading it in on of course an M109R. I am only 5'6".Â
If you want an idea of how you might fit on it, go to the Official Suzuki site (www.suzukicycles.com), go to the M109R section, and click on the Photos & Multimedia link. The "model" they use in the photos (the same guy is also pictured with the other bikes) is about your height (actually, maybe a bit less). They have been using this same fellow in their print ads and web site for a few years now. I suspect it's because he makes the bikes appear larger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't own an M109R (yet) but I have sat on one a couple of times.  I'm 5'6" and it fits me great, yes I can't put my right foot flat-footed because of the large exhaust, but I can get my toes down with my left foot flat.  The only thing I'm not sure about is the handlebars--I don't know if it'd be comfortable for an extended time.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Not sure wher you live "T", but can you get your hands on a 109? I understand the stock is next to nill..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Canuk,

I live in NC and there are 3 bikes here for sale in the area. One at each dealer and one of every color. At least they were there Saturday.

I know I posted a few questions, but no one has addressed the one about buying this bike the first year it is out. Does that bother any of you? Normally I would wait one year with a motorcycle or a car.

T

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does it bother me to buy the bike first year out, Sure so I spent a few bucks on an extended warranty for my peace of mind. If something major comes up I can then at least have an arguing point with Suzuki. I'm not going to discuss if they will even fix anything because of the ext. warr. BUT if I didn't get it then they could just hang up on me.

Once I saw the bike and knew I wanted to add a cruiser there was no chance I was going to wait another year "just in case". So far there are only limited issues that I have read about. Some people question the shifting (personally I've got 85 miles and haven't had any issues) and there is always the question about long term damage caused by the oil overfill.

None of it was enough to get me to wait, It is a valid concern though so if you are uncomfortable then by all means wait. I figure I've got 6 or 7 months to ride this year before winter gets here again and I'm going to enjoy the new 109R as much as I can.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My other bike is 1200 suzuki madura,great bike but for some reason suzuki stopped making it soon after introducing it.Still a great bike just tough to find parts.The109 might be a gamble, but i think it will pay off. Get the extended warranty just to be sure and start enjoying it, i sure am :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts