M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help identifying a hose SOLVED!!

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing fine.

I have a water leak or coolant leak in between the two cylinders everytime I rev the bike higher than 3500..

But when I have thorned open the bike to check haven't seen anything.

The leak appears as ribbon behind the left intake, and is so little that the coolant level hasn't drop.

Any ideas where it could come from?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Your issue had been very common with these bikes. Best advice would be to remove the track and air boxes to gain access to the hose clamps especially the ones between the cyclinders. Btw you will probably not be able to see where the leak is coming from because of how quickly the drips boil off from the hot motor do just be sure to snug all the connections up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a 2012 and with the tank off I have noticed there is some sweating from the front cylinder area (top) there is a junction of coolant hoses there and they are a bit crusty(green). I have also not noticed any coolant level changes nor any other sign of the leak.
I would think you should see some residue where ever your leaking from though.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I would think you should see some residue where ever your leaking from though.
Normally I would agree with you but for some strange reason most members that I have read about here see evidence of where the fluid fell too but seldomly where it came from. At least no obvious clear signs that says it's this particular clamp! Which is why I suggest to tighten all of them.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Any way to pressurise the cooling system without actually running the engine?

I used to have an old cap with a tyre valve in it. (was for a car though)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Any way to pressurise the cooling system without actually running the engine?

I used to have an old cap with a tyre valve in it. (was for a car though)
Im sure there is a way although I really don't think is necessary in this situation. This has been a common issue from the start. Once the op snugs up the hose clamps I have no doubt he will be back to good. There are only a few between the cylinders.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your inputs!

pressure check seems to be right way to go, but wouldn't be able to do it here at my garage...

Could I take both intakes out and rev the bike like that to see if I can spot the leak?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
thanks for your inputs!

pressure check seems to be right way to go, but wouldn't be able to do it here at my garage...

Could I take both intakes out and rev the bike like that to see if I can spot the leak?
You could. Im willing to bet that once you take the left air cleaner off you will see the hose and clamp with some antifreese on them. You might be over think it a bit. The 2 most common places for the 9 to leak antifreeze is the "T" fitting up top on the left side and the hose behind the left aircleaner. If you ever have those covers off in the future just snug the clamps up. It will save you a headache later.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
people seem to find that most of the clamps are loose when they look so do them all
Yep seems general consensus.. gonna look under the hood this weekend.

thank you all!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Conclusion

Conclusion and solution:

The hose compromised was the thick one going from the center of the real cylinder (closer to rider) to some pump to the left side of the front cylinder.

Both clamps were loose, I even remove the main airbox to get there but it didn't help.. I had to slowly with a 6mm turn them one at time for hours!!:redfaced::'(

When they were really tight I rev the bike again and the leak was still there!!!:eek::edit:

So I went to home depot and got me a pair of heavy duty clamps and went back in for a few more hours of slowly unscrewing.. The good part it got solved.. I left sweat and blood and half my saturday there thou..

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Fwiw you should always try to twist the house back and forth until it sorta moves "freely" before you try to retighten the clamps for a leak issue. I also try to spin the clamp to a different position if at all possible. Usually a buildup will occur from where it was leaking from better the hose inner wall and the connection point. When you twist the hose you break this build up down and hey a better seal.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Conclusion and solution:

The hose compromised was the thick one going from the center of the real cylinder (closer to rider) to some pump to the left side of the front cylinder.

Both clamps were loose, I even remove the main airbox to get there but it didn't help.. I had to slowly with a 6mm turn them one at time for hours!!:redfaced::'(

When they were really tight I rev the bike again and the leak was still there!!!:eek::edit:

So I went to home depot and got me a pair of heavy duty clamps and went back in for a few more hours of slowly unscrewing.. The good part it got solved.. I left sweat and blood and half my saturday there thou..
i know your pain, no joke. And when it happens to other riders that dont do their own work, they dont understand the time it takes just to tighten those damn clamps up !

·
Registered
577 Posts
Dont forget to remove the cover where your clutch cable attaches at the engine (down low). There is a coolant hose there as well, and the clamps are never tight enough. Mine leaked alot. Just an FYI

1 - 15 of 15 Posts