1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Doubtful that can be fixed. And if you did, it likely wouldn't hold for long against oncoming wind from riding it. There are so many nice, better looking after market mirrors out there. Just throw it in the round-open-top file and get new ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doubtful that can be fixed. And if you did, it likely wouldn't hold for long against oncoming wind from riding it. There are so many nice, better looking after market mirrors out there. Just throw it in the round-open-top file and get new ones.
Hahaha, round open top file it may just have to be. If I am going to go down that path, I may as well try bust the mirror glass out first, it sounds like it's buggered anyway. Cheers.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
You should be able to find one on EBay or just post a WTB thread in the for sale section.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,086 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't waste the time and effort trying to fix it. The mirror is probably glued in, and if you did get it loose it would probably pull some of the coating off the back and it would then show on the face.

If I still had my old ones you could have them. Almost everyone on here has had a couple sets of mirrors.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,706 Posts
Hahaha, round open top file it may just have to be. If I am going to go down that path, I may as well try bust the mirror glass out first, it sounds like it's buggered anyway. Cheers.
Welcome to the board!... Cheers... 🍻
Before I would toss it, I would try to take the mirror apart as well.
I have no knowledge how it is put together, IMHO I would stick it
in the pot of warm water and heat it up to see if there is hardened
gasket which could loosen up and mirror can be pryed out.
You cant loose this way......:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcoming and help.
I ended up buying a new genuine part through Suzuki.
That being said, I did try to pull apart the old one first.
It can be done. I used a hair dryer to heat the glass right up. On the rear side of the glass is a foam layer that is then glued to a metal part that has three screws mounting it to the mirror surround. The glue peeled away relatively easily once heated. It did rip the foam layer in a few small areas but nothing substantial. Once inside, and I probably should have checked this first as I had the Allen bolt out prior to pulling it all apart I found that the thread to the arm in which the mirror is bolted was actually threaded out. I managed to tighten it just that bit to far, it was only ever going to be temporary I guess. I could go to the trouble of re tapping the arm thread and sourcing a new bolt, but it probably isn't worth the effort. If I hadn't have over tightened it though and maybe used some thread locker, I reckon it could have lasted a fair while longer.
It is still in bits and I haven't thrown it away just yet so would be happy to send some pictures of it broken down for anyone who may be interested.

Thanks again to you all, i really appreciate it. this is the first time I have ever joined such a group. This is my third boulevarde. I started with an m50 and I am now on my second 109r.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,901 Posts
Wow, that was fast! I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere and was going to offer it to you free.

I'm glad you got it all sorted out, though.

Reactions: cbxer55

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,901 Posts
Back in the old days, motorcycles often had only a left-hand mirror (US). At least mine did.
Mine too. Funny what we take for granted, now.

Reactions: Joe RC51

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Back in the old days, motorcycles often had only a left hand mirror (US). At least mine did.
Cars as well. Some only had one outside mirror on the left side. And those funky European mirrors way up in the front behind the head lights. LOL!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts