M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run searches for the past three days, but could use some quick advice.

Background:
--------------
It's time to upgrade my bike ('06 Boulevard C50) for something with more power. My brother has the Honda VTX 1800, and he's been brow-beating me for considering the M109. He claims that Honda has better build-quality and reliability, and that I should get away from Suzuki.

True or not, I'm just not thrilled with his VTX. I'd rather have a bike with potential mechanical issues that I love, rather than no mechanical issues with a bike I'm not excited about. I've loved the M109's since they debuted! Still, it is difficult to lay down money on a *new* bike that I already know has some mechanical issues out the door.
----------------

So, I've found two M109's locally, so far, which caught my eye:
-a "brand new" black '07 M109R
-a "brand new" orange '08 M109R

I prefer the black, but I'm concerned about the earlier models being more susceptible to problems. It seems there were some minor changes in 2008 that might also be worth consideration (new idle speed control system, new light bar, etc?)

Are the minor changes in 2008 worth the extra cash/hunting time, or would I be okay with the 2007 and save myself some money to put towards a 5-year extended warranty? It sounds like some 2008's are having the same mechanical problems too, so wouldn't the 2007 be fine?

Tearing my hair out here. Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
349 Posts
O.k, first, honda used to have a good build quality, but they are now been built all over the world which is having an effect on the quality of hondas now, also they were probably the worlds most reliable bike, not no more !!

The early m109s did have some teething problems, and still have the odd clitch, like anything mechanical things go wrong, there are guys on here more clued up than me, go with your gut instinct if you buy new you will have warrenty anyway, i have an 09 le and not a single issue with her, get one you will love it !!! oh and the vtx,s are under powered compaired to the 9 good luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I know you can buy a lemon in any brand, too.

I was honestly looking for 2008-2009 models for the reason you listed, but then again, it sounds like Suzuki is finally cluing in on these problems and getting them fixed. It doesn't seem like these problems hit the vast majority of the bikes either, but I just want to know it'll be taken care of at no charge if it happens. Albeit, I gather it's safest to buy a newer model.

Honestly not too worried about the "oil puking" issue, as I've fixed that kind of thing on LT1 corvette engines using crankcase breathers and catch-cans (assuming the bike's oil isn't overfilled, naturally).

Decisions...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have an 07' M109 and knock on wood, no problems at 8,500 miles so far. Save a couple bucks and put it towards mods.....U WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FIGHT THE ADDICTION!!!

My buddy has a VTX 1800 with some mods, it's not a dog by any means, but it can't beat the M109. He gets me all the time because he has more riding experience. But, I'm about to BUST DAT ...

Good luck with your decision:bigthumbsup:
:welcome: to the forum

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
hey there, were in KC are you?? im in BS what bikes are you looking at??

i have a 06 with 17K on it and the only issue that i have had is the clutch cable broke on me beginning of this year. if you want to get familiar with the bike come out to KCIR friday aug 6th. there are going to be a bunch of us out there. if anything buying a 109 you get a awesome support crew on here. we are like a huge family all looking out for each other.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 07' M109 and knock on wood, no problems at 8,500 miles so far. Save a couple bucks and put it towards mods.....U WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FIGHT THE ADDICTION!!!
Haha, now that's good thinking. +1 for the 2007 idea.

hey there, were in KC are you?? im in BS what bikes are you looking at??
Cool deal. I'm in the Overland Park area now, so not too far from you. Thanks for the links.

Didn't realize there were so many of you guys around here -- I've only seen like two M109's locally in the past couple of years. For all I know, the two I saw were the same bike -- both were silver.

I saw the KCIR thread, and was thinking about trying to make it. Fortunately or unfortunately, I'll likely be riding some 1970-ish Bultaco Alpina motorcycles up in the mountains of Montezuma, Colorado. Hope I don't kill myself before I get to ride an M109.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
man have fun with that colorado trip.

if you need anything else just shoot me a PM.:bigthumbsup:

and yeah there are a lot of use around. we are just so fast that sometimes we are hard to see.:evil:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Honestly I'd go to the 2008:-\ The rumor is that in 2008 and above they changed the 2nd gear fork. At least it's a different number. I have only heard of one possible 2008 failing. the rest still good. I have actually thought about trading in mine on a new burgundy one. Every once in a while I have a missed gear. But my fingers are crossed for that to be my error not the bikes.:-\

I would also look at some of the reputable guys that have been and participated on this board for a long time. See what ones they might have for sale on the board. I know there have been some good ones up for sale recently.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Alexander, I came from a smaller Honda. 1100 Shadow Spirit. The reason I got that bike was the reputation for not having any problems. I like you fell in love with the 9. Honda is making some nice bikes but if you feel like you want the 9, go for it. I am sure your brother will not disown you. After you let him ride it, you will own him like Charlie does to Alan on two & a Half men:joke:
Good luck with what ever your choice is:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
960 Posts
I understand your dilemma. However, why buy new? There are fantastic deals all over the country on bone stock and heavily modified 9's with low miles. I bought my 07 in 08 with 1200 miles for $9000. It was indistinguishable from new and also had $500 of backrest on it. There are even better deals than that out there right now. Just a thought for you. Good luck with your decision!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
[Deep breath]

Just do me this favor sir.

please DO NOT buy a bike from freedom cycles.
Haha, you got it sir. My brother actually bought his VTX there back in 2007, and hated them! The only reason he went is because they agreed to honor a price-match for a dealer much farther away, so he got an unbeatable price. I checked the other day, and they have an "F" rating on Better Business Bureau, and a total of *NINE* 1-star ratings online (out of nine total ratings). It takes a lot of effort to be that bad.

While on the subject, do you have any dealer recommendations with a decent service department? I'm shopping for good dealerships as much as I am the bike itself.

I've heard a lot of great things about Donnells on these forums (in Independence, MO) -- where the black 2007 I mentioned is located. I got my C50 from Olathe Suzuki (which has the orange 2008). No real complaints with them, but the salesman was trying to BS me the other day with senseless technical facts (a pet peeve - "It's got 20% more suspension!" -Well what the hell does that mean?), and they're not very friendly.

I understand your dilemma. However, why buy new? There are fantastic deals all over the country on bone stock and heavily modified 9's with low miles. I bought my 07 in 08 with 1200 miles for $9000. It was indistinguishable from new and also had $500 of backrest on it. There are even better deals than that out there right now. Just a thought for you. Good luck with your decision!:bigthumbsup:
Thanks, and you're definitely right. You always get more for your money with used -- whether it be cars or bikes. I've already been contacted by shootnmove, who has a beautiful bike down in Florida with low mileage. That'll be my backup if I can't find anything local.

The only reason I'm leaning towards buying new is that I'd know the full history of the bike, especially given the mechanical issues we are discussing. I'm a total gear-head -- built my first engine at the age of 21, taught myself to MIG and TIG weld, etc. I like knowing everything that has been modified or worked on, and the process of modding is as enjoyable as riding to me, so I generally prefer a blank slate if I have the option. That make any sense?

The rumor is that in 2008 and above they changed the 2nd gear fork.
It seems that the 2008 may have gotten a lot of different parts. I can't imagine any reason why Suzuki would go through the trouble of changing part numbers for things such as the wave washer, if there wasn't a physical change of the part itself.

I'm researching the various part number changes listed in the various threads to see what I can find. I'm literally translating German forums that are discussing the clutch issue. It seems the 2007 part numbers might even be discontinued, not just changed on the newer model years. Nevertheless, it looks relatively easy to work on -- don't know why they charge so much.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i would recommend donnells for everything. sales, service, parts, great friends
i bought my bike there from kenny he is great. if you go up there again tell him that you know brad and sarah, or just call me and i can meet you up there and introduce you to him. i go up there just to shoot the chit with him.

i bought stu's bike he is the service manager.

the guys at olathe are kinda sketchy, if you get a deal id buy from them but that is all.

sidenote on donnells: they sell a lot of bikes. the black 07 they have now kenny when to Iowa and bought it and 2 gsxr1000s and 2 v stroms as well. so they may not work as much on the price because they sell a ton of bikes but try to hammer them down anyway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I read that Donnell's can be more expensive, but it's totally worth it to me if they have such a great rep. It sounds like they're moving the M109's through there pretty quick, too, so deductive logic would say they have no need to cut big deals.

I might give them another call tomorrow and see if they can locate any 2008-2009 models -- not sure how scarce those are. Worst case scenario, I could wait for the 2011's to come out next year, but I kinda like the tach up on the risers.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Yeah, I read that Donnell's can be more expensive, but it's totally worth it to me if they have such a great rep. It sounds like they're moving the M109's through there pretty quick, too, so deductive logic would say they have no need to cut big deals.

I might give them another call tomorrow and see if they can locate any 2008-2009 models -- not sure how scarce those are. Worst case scenario, I could wait for the 2011's to come out next year, but I kinda like the tach up on the risers.
i was going to suggest that you do wait till the 2011s hit the ground. kenny seems to think that they will get there first ones dec or jan.

and the blk and org LE will be available.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
they are all over cycletrader. i am not sure about there service but if you buy from there just take it to donnells for the service and get a smokin deal.:bigthumbsup:

good call sir! were in KS are you??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts