M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed down under and braided line for the rear, so brake fluid is on the menu.

Filled res, bled.

Dusted off cap and then noticed it said DOT4

Bottle of fluid says DOT3

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Man that is a head scratcher. Both numbers on the bottle. If it was me I would get a new bottle and redo it. Just to be safe. Fluid is cheap.
Bob

G

·
Installed down under and braided line for the rear, so brake fluid is on the menu.

Filled res, bled.

Dusted off cap and then noticed it said DOT4

Bottle of fluid says DOT3

Thoughts?
They're compatable, but Dot 3 in a lower boiling point fluid. If your not a heavey rear brake user you should be OK till next year when the next flush is due. If you tend to heat up that rear brake alot then flush it now. Just pump it out some without getting air in the line and fill the resevior again. do that a couple of times and the Dot 3 should be flushed.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Ok. Brake fluid 101 - quick session.

You are fine!

Dot 3 and Dot 4 are compatible. The only differences between the few generally are boiling temoerature. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point. If you are working your brakes enough to boil the fluid then you are riding in death valley while riding your brakes.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man that is a head scratcher. Both numbers on the bottle. If it was me I would get a new bottle and redo it. Just to be safe. Fluid is cheap.
Bob
Not 2 numbers on one bottle.

The cap I am talking about is the res cap, shich says dot4

the bottle says dot3

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kicking myself in the head here.

Duh, read the f-ing bottle and res cap:dontknow:

Thanks for the responses

I will just make sure I flush it when I feel like another PITA job.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You are fine!

Dot 3 and Dot 4 are compatible. The only differences between the few generally are boiling temoerature. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point. If you are working your brakes enough to boil the fluid then you are riding in death valley while riding your brakes.
Thanks.

That is not me in death valley.

I hardly touch my rear brake unless I am 2 up.

·
Registered
973 Posts

You are fine!

:agree:Unless you are extremely aggressive on the brakes all the time it will be a non-issue...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you OK tonight Square Rounder?
Ok, yeah.

Just made a stupid mistake.

It happens to the best of us.:dontknow:

I just do so little with brakes that I have not been through it enough time to have made every mistake there is.

That is my usual learning process. Figure out how to do something and then do it enough times so that I make every possible mistake. I learn best from mistakes, mine or other peoples.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts I will never make this mistake again.

Now the good part.

So, what was my mistake?

Sure I did not even think dot3 dot4, read cap, read bottle, but why?

My wife, and do not get me wrong I love her to death, kept popping into the garage trying to talk to me. Like I need to know about her conversation at work today about Dancing with the Stars. But her big topic lately is a baby. Her sister is pregnant. Her boss and 3 of her coworkers are pregnant. Her best friend is actively trying to get pregnant. My wife is on fertility meds and has been having dreams about quadruplets.

I need a detached garage.

Thanks for all of your help guys.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
My wife, and do not get me wrong I love her to death, kept popping into the garage trying to talk to me. Like I need to know about her conversation at work today about Dancing with the Stars. But her big topic lately is a baby. Her sister is pregnant. Her boss and 3 of her coworkers are pregnant. Her best friend is actively trying to get pregnant. My wife is on fertility meds and has been having dreams about quadruplets.
I know how you feel bud, ultimately this is what brought my relationship with my amazing girlfriend to an end last month... Mind you, she was almost 5 years older then me, but it was the same thing. Her school class mates were getting pregnant, her friends were getting pregnant, one of her other friends could not get pregnant and was looking for a Surrogate mother. When she wasn't picked to be the surrogate, she was depressed for days (even crying) It was hard to see her in this position but she already had 2 kids! I couldn't see myself at this point in time ready to handle that kind of responsibility so I decided it was better if we split up and she moved on to someone else who could support her and the 2 kids (Plus the many more she wanted) very sad...

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
Ok, yeah.

Just made a stupid mistake.

It happens to the best of us.:dontknow:

I just do so little with brakes that I have not been through it enough time to have made every mistake there is.

That is my usual learning process. Figure out how to do something and then do it enough times so that I make every possible mistake. I learn best from mistakes, mine or other peoples.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts I will never make this mistake again.
Yes we do all make them. And I learn better when I make a mistake also.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go for a pole barn on the back 40 of your property...You need to make it a bit of a walk to get to it, otherwise she will still walk the 20 feet inbetween the house and garage just to pester you....:D
I am thinking mega shed. I have been planning it for a while.

There is not too far away from the house I can go however. I do live in Amish country, but in a 1/2 acre lot community. We are a corner lot, so our back yard is a triangle and between development an local government rules, there is exactly one spot where it can go.

The other option is that 5 miles away, there is a garage for rent. 4 bays with 10' doors downstairs and 2 offices upstairs. I could sublet half of the garage and one of the offices, have my business take the other office and have a bay for the 9 and one that even the Hummer can fit inside of. While I love the thought of this option, it may be far enough away that she would be motivated to stop by and visit.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know how you feel bud, ultimately this is what brought my relationship with my amazing girlfriend to an end last month... Mind you, she was almost 5 years older then me, but it was the same thing. Her school class mates were getting pregnant, her friends were getting pregnant, one of her other friends could not get pregnant and was looking for a Surrogate mother. When she wasn't picked to be the surrogate, she was depressed for days (even crying) It was hard to see her in this position but she already had 2 kids! I couldn't see myself at this point in time ready to handle that kind of responsibility so I decided it was better if we split up and she moved on to someone else who could support her and the 2 kids (Plus the many more she wanted) very sad...
Sorry to hear that it brought about and end to your relationship.

I am fine with the idea of a baby and as ready as I think I would ever be.

For us though, the fun part has become more about an agenda.

The wife has hormone problems, so medical intervention is require to make it happen.

She is on fertility meds and every 3 days, this morning included, we are at the fertility place at 7:15 for blood work and ultrasounds.

'Baby making' is on a schedule, and ONLY ON THE SCHEDULE.

On the bright side, the schedule looks good for this weekend!!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I am thinking mega shed. I have been planning it for a while.

There is not too far away from the house I can go however. I do live in Amish country, but in a 1/2 acre lot community. We are a corner lot, so our back yard is a triangle and between development an local government rules, there is exactly one spot where it can go.

The other option is that 5 miles away, there is a garage for rent. 4 bays with 10' doors downstairs and 2 offices upstairs. I could sublet half of the garage and one of the offices, have my business take the other office and have a bay for the 9 and one that even the Hummer can fit inside of. While I love the thought of this option, it may be far enough away that she would be motivated to stop by and visit.
That sounds like the best of both worlds. The only downside I see is security. With the shop being 5 miles away I would be overly worried about things left their overnight.

G

·
Been there, done that!

Women are biologically programmed to be irrational and illogical about procreation. I mean who in their right mind would want to go through pregnancy and child birth. But without that female erge we'd be extinct as a specise. It just plays hobb with relationships when that biological alarm goes off in them. It killed my first mariage. She was doing everything she could think of the get pregnant. Most of it behind my back, when we were in no way ready financialy, emotionally, or housing wise. It got to the point I didn't want to go home or even get near her. And of course that didn't make anything better. My hard earned advice....GET COUNCELING!
She will never listen to your logic. You have a small chance that she will listen to a disinterested third party. It's that or just give in and act like you want it too. Because you're dealing with an insanity you never really understand.

Funny what brake fluid can lead to. Or the lack there of.....:eek: :D

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been there, done that!

Women are biologically programmed to be irrational and illogical about procreation. I mean who in their right mind would want to go through pregnancy and child birth. But without that female erge we'd be extinct as a specise. It just plays hobb with relationships when that biological alarm goes off in them. It killed my first mariage. She was doing everything she could think of the get pregnant. Most of it behind my back, when we were in no way ready financialy, emotionally, or housing wise. It got to the point I didn't want to go home or even get near her. And of course that didn't make anything better. My hard earned advice....GET COUNCELING!
She will never listen to your logic. You have a small chance that she will listen to a disinterested third party. It's that or just give in and act like you want it too. Because you're dealing with an insanity you never really understand.

Funny what brake fluid can lead to. Or the lack there of.....:eek: :D
I get the impression that i have communicated my end of this wrong.

I am on board.

I and we are as ready as I expect to be.

We are actively trying. Heck, I am paying $600 ever 3 days towards these efforts.

I am not trying to escape her in general or the topic of a baby. I just need moments of peace to keep my sanity.

I spend so much time in the garage working on her car, my Hummer and the 9 as my mental retreat from all of the things that clog my brain. I am in the garage when most people would be watching TV.

Garage work is relatively simple if you stay focused. That focus is what keeps the rest of the world at bay when it is not good weather for riding.

All I really need is for her to understand what my garage time is to me. If there is a plan for that which actually works, I have never heard of it.

G

·
Good luck with that!

You have to understand that in her mind, having children is the ultimate priority. Your needs are very low on her list of priorities and she will not understand emotionally, even if she agrees logically, to your choice to be absent for what ever time and what ever reason. In her mind she is making a monumental selfless act and can not really understand how you could do less than to be at her every beck and call. It is an emotional logic that you cannot change or modify without creating resentment. It doen't matter how smart or logical she was before this started. You have to be the one who understands and makes the sacrifice for harmony. She can't, she really can't, her hormones won't let her. If you're on board and want this, it's all or nothing if you want to get through in one piece. She has to know you're 1000% behind her every minut of every day. Or it will, come back to haunt you.

I'm dead seriuos here. There is no logical way around it.

But a happy family life latter will, in the end be worth every bit of it.

So hang in there and find other ways to destress.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts